Important security tip for those on here that use FaceBook.

by StoneWall 11 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

A friend on FB shared this security tip with me and after realizing how crucial it could be with all the "man-in-the-middle" and data mining going on with FB I decided to share it with all of you in case you were like me and wasn't aware of it.

And after seeing what all it does I'm also curious if you're like me and wonder why FaceBook doesn't make it the default setting instead of the other way around.

Anyhow if you go to Account/Account settings/Account security, you should see a box that says beside it, Browse FaceBook on a secure connection.

Make sure to put a check mark in that box and then click save.

To check to make sure it is set properly, your address bar should now show https:FaceBook.com (notice it added the "s" for secure after http).

When you do banking online or other data sensitive issues online you are probably used to seeing the https on them and that is why.

If you are unsure of why you would want this setting on FB, I'd highly recommend to search on Google for https and read the Wiki article that comes up. It list all the benefits of using this security option when/where it's available.

Your friends on FB list will be much happier knowing that things they send you or that you post in PM's are more secure as well.

I was surprised at how many friends/family on my list wasn't aware of this option either.

Hope that helps with any fears and/or concerns you may have with Facebook security.

StoneWall

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Cheers and done!

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Thanks StoneWall

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

After reading your post, I immediately changed mine, as well as:

When a new computer or mobile device logs into this account:

Send me an email

Please let me know if I can copy/paste your advice as my FB status. I would like my friends to be aware of this, if they aren't already.

Thank you.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Yeah--I just did this last night for my account. I was trying to figure out how to make it more secure. Glad someone decided to post on it, though--it's important to do.

--sd-7

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Thanks!

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

AK MCGRATH,

Yes feel free to copy and paste the above security information I posted. Also anyone else that would like to make their friends on FB aware of it is welcome to do so as well.

To me knowledge is power and the more people that can make the internet a safer place to be for the masses the better it is for all of us.

As I stated earlier, I don't understand why this isn't a default setting on FaceBook.

The only thing that I can see as to why they wouldn't put it as default is that some of the older(ancient) browsers are not able to handle the encryption as well as the site certificates. And FaceBook is all about numbers and getting advertising dollars so they don't want to lose any members that maybe stuck with outdated technology and/or programs.

The browswer part is easily fixed with a free download of the latest version of Mozilla,Google Chrome or IE.

But I do understand that there are so many people on FaceBook that in a lot of these other countries especially, that many of them are using older computers not capable of handling the latest browsers and the higher levels of encryption etc...

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I think this is a new pretty new option.. very valuable though, thank you!

• Violia
    Violia

thanks I just changed mine. beware of a message on your news feed page of your wall that asks you to change to security settings. Go to the account settings to change it. Some of the links are dangerous. click security in FB and it will explain.

• lil princess
    lil princess

piss on facebook. do you really want any of your personal info out?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit