How Much Did It Cost You Financial Being or Leaving The Witnesses

by Was New Boy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LIFE IS TOO SHORT:

Don't put yourself down. I love reading your posts and I relate to them so much.

You are absolutely right about the stress level. Can you imagine if you were in an accident with that passenger's child not being in a car seat!!! I remember once giving a ride to sisters in service. One of the sisters was an older, over-righteous pain who complained that my 'sharp turns' were hurting her neck. I had no intention of having somebody say that I harmed them in some way so that was the last time I ever took this group anywhere. If I took my car it was with one sister who was an actual friend. I refused to take groups out because of the stress and the way they behaved. If I ever was a passenger in anybody's car I always offered gas money.

ON THE WAY OUT and SALTYOLDLADY:

It is a sobering thought to see how much it cost you to be in this religion. I hope life is better now that you are free.

SaltyLady: I was particularly struck by how you noticed in your new Bible Study Class the absence of needy ones and con artist types as opposed to what you encountered in the WTS. You also mention how you would rather do something for the good of the community rather than be an enabler for those looking for handouts. Yes, too many JWs are looking for a free ride and somebody else to pay for their "everlasting life".

I have to tell you that this was my biggest issue with the JW religion coupled with their attitude towards single women. I work full time and was criticized for it. But, some of these lazy, covetous, small-minded idiots imagined I owed somebody something because I work for a living. This is where this stupid religion falls apart. They claim they have 'no clergy class', yet, they tell everybody they are all ministers. Well, I was a 'minister' who works full time to support myself and I went out in service on the weekend. As far as I am concerned, anybody who pursued poverty following the dictates of the religion can go to the religion when they need help. They have no business whatsover to be looking in the direction of responsible people who work for a living and were criticized for doing so, to boot.

Even if I had not found out about the religion's hidden past and deceptions, I would not have remained in the Jehovah's Witness religion just because of this issue alone.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Listening and absorbing and agreeing with everyone, except that "choices" poster.

No, there was no choice for born-ins.

There is nothing left for me to say.

Everyone covered everything, including my experiences in service with children (hated them!), mental hospital escapees who had very bad body odor, poor (I was one but not a sponge), fights among old gossiping geese in service (old women), and the misogyny from the elders.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I don't have a big problem with the money that I wasted on boring clothes, boring shoes, and boring get togethers. I really begrudge the money that I wasted by not investing in a 401K and savings (because the end is sooo near!) Not to mention starting college at 30 instead of after high school.

I think the financial cost pales in comparison to the intangibles that I lost- a good relationship with "worldly family" and that was all of my extended family because my parents joined when I was 5, the social experiences of high school like joining a sports team (I was asked during gym class to join track and volleyball) or going to prom. I wish life had a replay button.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit