Proclaimers book and Memorial question

by Lunatic Faith 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I got a text this morning from my 17 year old nephew. He told his parents last night that he didn't want to go to any more meetings and he was not attending the memorial because he doesn't believe the way JDubs believe. I'm not sure how his parents have responded. I am sure I will receive part of the blame as they have already labeled me apostate.

Anyway, PYRAMIDSCHEME was telling me the other day that there was a thread on here that posted some info in the Proclaimers book re: the memorial and how in its early days only partakers attended. I read the Proc. book twice and don't really remember that. I have tried searching for the thread and cannot find it. Can somebody point out that thread if they remember it? I would love to show it to my nephew so he can share it with his parents.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Freeminds has a pretty good evaluation of the proclaimers book, I did a quick check for what you are describing but didn't see anything. I think prior to the "new light" about paradise earth which was delivered by da judge in the early 30s, everyone was considered anointed so they of course would all partake.

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/publications/whitewashing-watchtower-history-the-proclaimers-book-revealed.html?qh=YTo2OntpOjA7czoxMToicHJvY2xhaW1lcnMiO2k6MTtzOjEwOiJwcm9jbGFpbWVkIjtpOjI7czoxMToicHJvY2xhaW1pbmciO2k6MztzOjk6InByb2NsYWltcyI7aTo0O3M6ODoicHJvY2xhaW0iO2k6NTtzOjEyOiJwcm9jbGFpbWVyJ3MiO30%3D

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Hi Luna.

Heres a pdf link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/czi1o2

It seems a bit long downloading ( 30mns).

However I dont think his parents will take much notice. They'll only say there has been new light.

There is always a getout clause.

Once downloaded, a search with acrobat reader should easily find what you're looking for.

jlp

• blondie
    blondie

I post these quotes at least once a year:

*** w95 7/1 p. 15 par. 5 "The Israel of God" and the "Great Crowd" ***In 1935 they were identified with the "great crowd" of Revelation chapter 7. In 1938 they were invited to attend the Memorial of the death of Jesus Christ as observers

*** w79 11/15 p. 27 par. 23 Benefiting from "One Mediator Between God and Men" ***Ever since the spring of 1938 they have been invited to attend the annual memorial celebration of Christ’s death, not to partake of the memorial emblems, the unleavened bread and the red wine, but as respectful observers.

*** jv chap. 16 p. 243 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***For the first time, in its issue of February 15, 1938, TheWatchtower specifically invited them to be present at the Memorial, saying: "After six p.m. on April 15 let each company of the anointed assemble and celebrate the Memorial, their companions the Jonadabs also being present."
  • wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Lunatic Faith,

I just pulled out my proclaimers book that was left by the sister who studied with me.

On page 233 in the proclaimers book it states:

" Beginning in about 1876, arrangements were made each year by the bible students for a commemoration of the lords death"

On page 243 in the proclaimers book it states:

" Particularly beginning in the 1930's, prospective members of the "great multitude" or the "great crowd " of other sheep, began to manifest themselves. (Rev. 7:9, 10, KJ; John10:16 ) These were at that time refered to as Jonadabs. For the first time, in it's issue of Febuary 15, 1938 the Watchtower specifically invited them to be present at the memorial, ..................they did not attend as partakers, but as observers."

I hope this helps

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Thanks Blondie, I can always count on you

Jean-Luc I will look up that site, sounds interesting. I think you're right that they will find a way to discount it by saying some thing like what LostGeneration pointed out: the WTS didn't even acknowledge an earthly class till sometime in the 30's (if my memory serves me right).

The thing with my nephew is that his parents are teetering. They don't go out in service any more and miss most of the meetings. There have to be some seeds of doubt in there that they are choosing to ignore. I just hope to say the right thing to push them over, but I have noticed it just puts them on the defensive. Everybody needs to take their journey in their own way.

Nephew just texted me that they seemed okay with him not going to memorial. Hmmm, interesting....

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Thanks, wasblind! That's exactly the passage I needed.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Wow. This is totally new to me. You mean the 'great crowd' wasn't even INVITED??? Holy crap! That's even more obscene! They might as well have kept it that way, except that it'd be an awfully pointless occasion nowadays, what with only 10,000 people actually attending. Guess they had no choice, in a way.

Wow. I'm glad I got out of there. To put it quite simply, Jesus Christ!

--sd-7

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I just hope to say the right thing to push them over, but I have noticed it just puts them on the defensive

Ther is someone on utube, but I cant find the link now, who suggests asking questions, almost innocently, rather than an open challange. Its a way of sowing a seed, or even nurturing a doubt that is already there.

I think it was this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnan8ODotU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Good luck.

jlp

• jean-luc picard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit