80% Accept Blood Transfusion

by Marvin Shilmer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

80% Accept Blood Transfusion

I added a new article on my blog citing a 1995 medical study finding something interesting about blood transfusion and young folks among Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The study shows that at least 80% (5 out of 6) accept “allogeneic red blood cell transfusions” or else their Witness parents accept it on their behalf and without need of court-order.

My article is titled 80% Accept Blood Transfusion and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/04/80-accept-blood-transfusion.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

good! I feel for the 20% that don't

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Most JWs are only in it for the pet lion or panda. Only the real extremists are going to sacrifice their kids for that hope. This data shows that JWs are less and less "all-in" for the Borg.

Thanks for publishing this info, Marvin.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

As a witness, on two different occasions I ran into worldly nurses at social events.

i asked each of them about JWs whether they refused blood or not.

Each of them told me "most of them accept it eventually". I was stunned both times, my consciense brain told me they were lying, but it was pretty obvious they were being honest. Talk about cognitive disonance, my brain just went round and round in circles on that one.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I assume this means 80% of all young witnesses who actually need a blood transfusion - not 80% of all young witnesses in total?

It is still a pretty astonishing statistic.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was a True Believer. I would have died before accepting a blood transfusion.

I now feel very lucky to have escaped.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

James Woods writes:

"I assume this means 80% of all young witnesses who actually need a blood transfusion."

Yes. That is what my article says supported by Dr. Benson's presentation of data.

Marvin Shilmer

• willyloman
    willyloman

Credit the HLC boys for much of this. They are alleged to be in position to make sure JWs follow the Society's rules about blood transfusions, which is true. What most dubs don't know is that the WTS' "rules" on blood are in a state of constant change and subject to a good deal of personal interpretation.

HLC elders will often lay out all the "alternatives" to dub patients, which leads many to assume that the alternatives are viable and up to one's conscience (and they are). Naturally, when a medical issue is labeled "a conscience matter" and your life is at stake, your conscience will generally move towards survival. The result is, according to an HLC elder, that about 98% of hospitalized dubs he talks to subsequently sign up for any and all available options associated with blood transfusion when learning (often for the first time) that the Watchtower says they may be permissible.

Where minor children are concerned, the HLC takes a hands-off approach (the hospital makes sure they do). I believe this leads to a lot of JWs opting for passive resistance - i.e., just wait for the court order and go along. That way, little Johnny gets the medical management he needs to live and, hey, what can you do?

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

This is a very interesting topic.

I was at a social event and held an informal conversation with an Open-Heart Surgeon a couple of months ago. This is the kind of guy that will get to a helicopter to make a heart transplant.

He told me that from his experience with Jehovah's Witnesses, 50% of those patients accepted blood transfussions. Once he told them that he procedure will be confidential to tha patient's family and the congregation, most patients agreed to accept blood as part of the treatment. He pointed out that this included leaders of the church (e.g. Elders).

I thought this was very interesting.

• james_woods
    james_woods

What occurs to me is that this level of hypocrisy makes it doubly tragic for those few JW persons who actually do refuse blood and die.

They probably won't even get their pictures on the Awake magazine in this brave new JW world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit