Good talk with mum and dad

by boyzone 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• boyzone
    boyzone

its my mum's birthday today. She's 77 and both mum and dad have been witnesses for nearly 30 years. They've been pretty hardline in their time but just recently things have changed. Today, to my joy, mum wanted to celebrate her birthday so I bought her a big bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates (yeah I know, not very imaginative) and intend to take them out to lunch tomorrow when I've got more time. She was really pleased and is having a lovely day.

When I asked how they're feeling about doing this, they were of a mind that they just DON'T CARE what the Society say on this subject, its down to their own conscience and the elders can take a hike.

Wow! What a turnaround! How cool!

They were in the mood to discuss things so i let them talk further. Dad said how he felt it very important to stick to the scriptures above and beyond what the Society teach and in their little group of elderly bros and sisters that meet once a week, they go through the Greatest man book thoroughly, reading all the gospel accounts and seeing where the Society might be going beyond what's written.

One point an elderly brother recently brought out to this group was, "has anyone else noticed how little the Society refer to 1914 nowadays?" This brother even got his elder son to check it out on the CDRom and it was only 15 times in the last 5 years!

Now this older brother is an old-timer, a one time special pioneer that used to do 120 hours a month on extremely little money and had it tough in the post ww2 years. He is well aware of all the changes and how often 1914 was pushed and sees the stark contrast to the way things are today.

As mum and dad told me this, I reminded them of how many new ones or younger ones wouldn't remember the teaching of the 1914 generation not passing away which was changed in 1995, but may only be familiar with the later versions of this teaching. Also many new and old ones are puzzled by the continued rise of the memorial partakers for the past few years and the untenable explanation for this and for the overlapping generation. They are trying to take the 1914 date out of the consciousness of the brothers because they know it ties them down to a prophesy thats easily proven false. It also lays open their claim to authority supposedly given them in 1914. The less 1914 is mentioned, the less questions are raised in the minds of newbies.

For the first time, I saw a light-bulb go on in mum's eyes. The penny dropped and she realised the true import of what I was saying. She was suddenly lost in thought a she realised that by dropping the mentioning of 1914, how expedient the Society had become in an effort protect to their authority and control.

It was quite a moment, broken only by my dad who said in their defence, "but the Society do alot of good" I replied that may be true (keeping them onside here) and many brothers and sisters say the good outweighs the bad, but many, like myself, have problems with the authority the Society have given themselves based on what they teach about 1914.

I then took this opportunity to refer them back to the birthday celebration we were having as an example. Mum and dad felt their conscience could permit them to celebrate it. But they know that the elders could be very harsh with them if they found out. Why? Because the Society gave themselves the authority to dictate people's consciences and to punish where necessary based on the teaching of 1914!

I let that sink in for a few seconds., then I made a comment about the little discussion group they attend. I remarked how great it was that they all go back to the scriptures to check what's being taught (noble-minded!) and how its a sign of spiritual maturity not just to accept what you're being told but to double-check everything and to question. i don't think they'd ever considered their little group as a sign of maturity, they liked that! Laughing together they said "here we are at the age of 77 and 83 respectively and we're finally growing up!"

So, what do you think? Aren't my parents doing well? Goes to show that you're never too old to learn and grow eh?

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

What a great story! I'm really happy you had the opportunity to discuss that with them. My parent are in their late 40's . I hope I don't have to wait that long before they "mature"....though I'm thinking that will never happen.

• baltar447
  • Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

This is absolutely amazing boyzone, my parents are very similar ages as your mum & dad, have been JW's for 50 years & feeling exactly the same disonance regarding the WT org.

I'm printing this off as it wll be so encouraging to them............in fact my mother asked me today to see if there was anything to print off this website for them to read.

Thank you for posting this, it just shows some long timers are starting to wake up to the fact they no longer recognise the WT org to be what it claims it is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your parents are doing well to think for themselves. WOO HOO!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Wow. Good conversation. Glad they're beginning to think independently!

However, I think if the elders got wind of their little study group, they'd probably want to shut it down (isn't that what Bethel objected to in the late '70s/early '80s which prompted all the 'witch hunts'?).

One point an elderly brother recently brought out to this group was, "has anyone else noticed how little the Society refer to 1914 nowadays?" This brother even got his elder son to check it out on the CDRom and it was only 15 times in the last 5 years!

He probably needs to look again. It's true that the mentions of 1914 for 2000-2009 are about half what they were for the previous decade, but with regard to the last 5 years? I count 98 (2006-2010).

And happy birthday to your mom!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think is is great. Congratulations to you and your parents. I am sure they are aware, but you might remind them of Romans 14 that tells Christians not to judge one another based on what they celebrate.

One way to counter the "WT society does a lot of good, too" argument is to regularly (not immediately as an attack on the statement but just generally all the time) bring out the REAL good that many charitible organizations do around the world.

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

I am happy for you and your parents. It just goes to show there is hope that the blinders can come off no matter how long a persons been in.

• used2beme
    used2beme

I am thrilled for your family!!

• wobble
    wobble

Good to hear your parents are freeing their minds ! They have a fair bit of pre-cult experience and personality to fall back on, so progress toward real freedom is on the cards, though whether at their time of life they wish to disentangle themselves completely remains to be seen.

What a lovely thing, to be able to express your love for your mum on her birthday ! that is something denied to us whose parents are trapped in, I couldn't even take my mother a Mothers day gift without her more or less rejecting it, damned cult.

Keep on helping them to free their minds, that is the main thing they need for them to be happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit