Would you employ a witness?

by sleepy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

A close friend of mine had a JW acountant working for his company. Here's what happened: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=5205&site=3

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Most witties I've known are pretty hard-working, unless they own their own businesses and in that case they were assholes.

If I never was a JW, sure, why not? Pretty low maintenance, and they would never intrude on my home life. Just had to make rules that no one can talk about religion at work, period. If the JW didn't like Christmas decorations, etc, then they would have to deal with it, or they could leave.

I've known some dishonest JW's, but all the accountant JW's I've known were fastidious about honesty. Probably the same ratio everywhere, although the 'birdseed' point makes sense.

For the most part, yes, I'd hire a JW. But, would I prefer one? Not really. Religion doesn't matter at all, just the individual's work ethic.

ashi

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I would not hire a JW...as long as the JW brought up the religious discussion. Nor would I hire a Muslim-who was not born in America. Again, all of this would be determined on what I knew of the person or could determine from what they said. It is illegal to ask those questions in an interview; so unless they offer it up, you are stuck.

Between the two you have way too many ideas that are similar-treatment of women, watching what others do-very judgemental.

The witnesses want to preach any opportunity they get.

The Muslims want to let any female working near them that you are basically dog poop in their eyes.

Both, IMHO, let religion enter the workplace. If you, as a manager or employer have to deal with it, it is difficult due to the laws in the US. "Employment at Will" is a term many states and companies throw around when someone is let go or firee, however, you are protected...you can always fight and say you were fired or let go because of discrimination-due to your religion.

I would hire an atheist above all others-assuming I knew the person was an atheist.

• Solace
    Solace

I wrote this somewhere earlyer but it deals with this subject too. My cousin, in her20s who had not attended meetings regularly, still living with her parents and was not baptized but her father was an elder,o.k. got that? She helped her witness "friend" get hired for a cleaning position in her office. My cousin, unfortionatly ended up having an affair with her married employer. (Somehow)[8>] the elders at their kingdom hall found out and called a meeting with my cousin. They told her that they informed her parents of everything. My cousin later tried to commit suicide. Thank God she wasnt successful. She is a very good person and her life has been hell.
    Think twice before you decide to work with or hire a witness. especially if your still living with your J.W.family. Their first priority is the Org. They are taught if they dont tattle, then they are just as guilty as the offenders. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING
    Scary.

• gotcha
    gotcha

dont have an answer for this right now...but in fairness to the jws..my mom has employed some good jws some not good....i think it depends on the person....my mom doesnt prefer jws over non-jws coz just think of having all jws...killer -- no one would work for you in times of assembly, meetings and all

• JanH
    JanH

Especially with qualifications being the same, I'd certainly not employ the JW or the Moslem. I'd chose between the two others on gut feeling.

- Jan
    --
    The believer is happy. The doubter is wise.

• Erin
    Erin

I've had several JW women employees over the years. They thought it would be so much "fun" to work at my business. A few have been great, but more have not. I've had some expect to leave work early whenever they've had a talk scheduled that evening! One didn't show up at all on a particularly busy day because she needed a few more hours in service that month. I had to call her house to find out where she was!
    Many liked to bring their WT and Awakes to read on my time "when it's not busy". Not busy?--There are 1000 things which need doing!
    I've also had the JW husbands of some of these women call me (the lowly sister employer) to counsel me in their manly voices why their wives couldn't make it in to work due to a more important theocratic or family pursuit. The women couldn't even call me themselves!
    As you can imagine, most of these employees worked for me a very brief time before being let go.....
    I finally got wise and hired "worldly" employees. They have been very trustworthy, motivated workers, and they stay out of my personal business!

• waiting
    waiting

I've had good jw employees - and not good ones. They are as individual as any other person, imho.

Last year, I had a jw male, 20, hs dropout, and another male, 19, hs dropout, work for me.

The other male, by far, was crappy. Nice guy, no work ethics, slacker, bullshitter, etc. Quit with no notice last spring. Came back 2 days ago looking for work - didn't even have the guts to ask me straight up - asked the jw guy to speak for him. I refused to rehire him.

The jw male has worked for me for 2.5 yrs. Excellent. We have made an agreement to not talk about religion, KH, elders, etc., as little as possible. And we keep to that agreement. He knows my position, I know his. We both get touchy at times - but we work closely together for 40 hrs a week.

He knows the elders in my cong. & says he couldn't have survived there either. His father, an elder, is a good man - and we speak whenever he comes in to our store. Not all jw's are "tattlers." Perhaps this will change, but then everything changes sooner or later.

Other than that.....I enjoy his company - and his abilities to make money for himself and our company, a lot. He is spoken well of by our customers, and that means a lot.

In actuality, it's illegal to hire, or not hire, an individual on race, age or religion, in the usa.

Would we be having this discussion if we were white/black/hispanic talking about hiring/not hiring white/blacks/hispanics - based on their ethnic background?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit