Ministerial Servant prosecuted for fraud in 2001 is made up to Elder

by James_Slash 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Sorry guys, I can't link the full article (as I don't know how) but this is the address.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-111236724.html

This is the news article (only in part as it is now archived) but this guy I know personally and he was made up to an Elder a couple of years ago:

A BIRMINGHAM technician who went bankrupt after losing almost pounds 100,000 on rash speculations on the stock market has been ordered to do 200 hours' community punishment. Nikolaos Platidis, 31, of Dacer Close, Stirchley, admitted a charge under the Insolvency Act.

This was revealed in the Birmingham Evening Mail at the time and many members of the congregation were aware of it.

So how did he become an Elder? Or more importantly, how was he never reproved and removed from his position as a MS?

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Yeah, that sounds about right. It happens. I know of several JW men who were involved in VERY shady business dealings that bilked their "brothers" out of a lot of money, only to be appointed elders, convention committee men, CoBOE's, the works.

Knew one cat who sued his own biological (and spiritual) brother over some financial nonsense. He won and his brother didn't have all the judgment money, so this materialistic dirtbag marched his poor brother BACK to court and put liens on all he owns. Now that's gangsta. Now the dude is some big shot in the circuit; you see him up on stage all schmoozing up to the CO and DO. Sickening.

This guy you mentioned in your post, I'm assuming he had some money and/or pull to be well-liked by the powers that be. So they "overlook" this serious red flag to his "qualifications" and give him a thumbs up. Now he can counsel and DF people. That's boss.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The BOE I was on worked on a kind of 3 year rehabilitation period.

Proving to me once again it isn't 'spirit' directed but simply run like a business.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

The BOE I was on worked on a kind of 3 year rehabilitation period.

punk, I've heard of this mysterious "3 year" thing, but I've never found any policy documentation supporting it. Kind of like an unwritten law, right? Whatever it is, it sure don't seem "divinely-inspired" to me.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It happens. I know of several JW men who were involved in VERY shady business dealings that bilked their "brothers" out of a lot of money, only to be appointed elders, convention committee men, CoBOE's, the works.

You can find them after every circuit assembly or district convention at the finer restaurants in town socializing with the CO & DO & Bethel guests.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Mr Falcon

Yes. Seems like an 'oral' law to me too.

If I hadn't been an elder I don't think I'd ever have seen all the 'business' type practices that were more important than the wellbeing of the 'flock'.

This MS is probably a family member of an existing few elders on the body.

I saw this all the time. Anyone in the UK can check out 'New England, Peterborough' congregation for family affairs!!!!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

You can find them after every circuit assembly or district convention at the finer restaurants in town socializing with the CO & DO & Bethel guests.

Absolutely. The politics is so thick at the level that you would think you're attending a election campaign event. These guys use every little "privilege" as if it is a resume. They love to tell you all about every little thing they ever did, every department that they were "in-charge" of, every appointment, who they know in Bethel, one first name basis with CO's, the works. I recall being told by apologists of this nonsense that "the CO's can tell when someone is kissing up to them, they don't let that effect them." Oh really? We from what I see these CO & DO fellas sure do like the celebrity status. And they assign the assembly talks to the guys who brown-nose them; the competition for those talks on the conventions is fierce.

If I hadn't been an elder I don't think I'd ever have seen all the 'business' type practices that were more important than the wellbeing of the 'flock'.

Well said, punkofnice. I got my first inkling that something was amiss when I got to see behind the scenes how much emphasis they put on the money collection. Always about the dollar. Always about the bloody dollar. Everything else was just a minor issue, the money came first. I always pictured Jesus running in there with a rope-whip, because they all look like money-collectors at the temple. It's run like the Mafia at that level.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Mr. Falcon: sad, but true, that these things happen.. I am personally aware of at least one scheme run by a well-heeled, well-connected "brother," where everyone involved pretty much lost their shirts, and yet, he's still as well-connected as ever...

• steve2
    steve2

Fair enough comments about one-time fraudsters subsequently being made elders or ministerial servants. It does make me wonder. However, just to clarify: Are you saying that the organization should not forgive or seek evidence that these offenders have repaired their fraudulent ways? Shoiuld they be made to pay for the rest of their lives? I'd say that JWs are not alone among many "Christian" religions in "forgiving" and allowing the repentant ones to reach out for perceived privileges.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Maybe they forgive but I bet he is not in charge of the accounts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit