To my fellow atheists:

by NomadSoul 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Nickolas Tesla?

That's an interesting story. Sorry to hear about your losses to which like you said added an urgent quality to the meaning of life. I have lost love one's in my life to death, and having no belief in an afterlife doesn't make it harder, even I could argue that it makes it easier to cope with.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The wisdom of the Atheist Gunslinger:

Wyatt Earp: "How are you?"

Doc Holliday: "I'm dying, how are you?"

(Morgan is fatally wounded in a gunfight) Morgan Earp: "Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing."

• Shrek
    Shrek

I saw this quote today, sums up my thoughts on the matter...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I have lost love one's in my life to death, and having no belief in an afterlife doesn't make it harder, even I could argue that it makes it easier to cope with.

I would have to agree.

And it was Nikola Tesla. His was a blinding brilliance. My brain is but a flickering candle in comparison.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

1. Learning about evolution and eventually believing it. At this point, I still believed in God. I saw no contradictions.

2. Learning about other religions and how similar they all are. Started thinking about why they exist, what purpose they serve people psychologically.

3. Critically examining the Bible. Learning that "I don't know" does NOT equal "God did it" or "It's magic." This was a huge step. When I applied this rule to everything, I found that the supernatural claims of religion are unfounded.

4. More research on science, philosophy, and history. Astronomy probably had the biggest influence. Lots of good refutations for design. And philosophy, like the problem with evil, what actually defines God, etc. Also, the way religion and God relate to fear of death.

5. Right now, posting about it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit