JW recieves $55,000 for being ordered to wear santa hat.

by FifthOfNovember 36 Replies latest jw friends

• FifthOfNovember
  • wobble
    wobble

The more they do stupid things like this, the more the public will abhor the cult. Good.

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

Good for her!

If the hat wasn't written into her contract as part of the work uniform, then she shouldn't have to wear it.

That is a crazy amount of money. But seriously, they got what was coming to them. You don't fire somebody because they refuse to wear a goofy hat, especially when the religion card gets played.

• wasblind
    wasblind

There are many JW's who preach at work, they even bring their literature to people at work

JW's need to keep in mind that the same laws that protect them protect everyone else.

they need to stop pushing their beliefs off on people at work also.

• Simon
    Simon

This is what happens when stupid people are on both sides of the equation.

• moshe
    moshe

I am pretty sure this lawsuit will make employers "love" JWs a whole lot more. If I was an HR person, I would require a yes or no answer on applications, if you have any problems wearing holiday attire- JWs will have fewer job opportunities going forward.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy
    Jones-Abid is a Jehovah's Witness, and her religious practices prohibit her from celebrating holidays like Christmas, according to the lawsuit

The "religious practice" prohibit her from celebrating not the bible?

Doesn't it kind of go with the job? Gift wrapping is surely going to involve holidays eventually, I wonder if she sued if they made her use Christmas/Birthday gift wrapping?

Snoozy

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

The woman is absolutely right to sue. Whether you agree with JW's or not about Christmas, it doesn't matter. They don't celebrate it or take part in the customs of the Xmas season. If her religious beliefs would not allow her to wear a santa hat, then they had no right to fire her.

What if she were Muslim, or Jewish. If she were Muslim, would they require her to wear a star of David to commemorate Hannakuh (sp?)?

THe store is absolutely wrong and the woman absolutely right in this case.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy
    The woman is absolutely right to sue. Whether you agree with JW's or not about Christmas, it doesn't matter. They don't celebrate it or take part in the customs of the Xmas season. If her religious beliefs would not allow her to wear a santa hat, then they had no right to fire her.
    What if she were Muslim, or Jewish. If she were Muslim, would they require her to wear a star of David to commemorate Hannakuh (sp?)?
    THe store is absolutely wrong and the woman absolutely right in this case.

But doesn't it go with the job of gift wrapping? Holidays are a big giftwrapping time..is she supposed to say" I can't wrap with holiday gift wrap..? People get babied way to much these days..it's a wonder stores can even stay in business. She never should have taken the job..it's like getting a job as a Santa Claus and then suing the store because they insist she wear a Santa suit and let kids tell her their christmas wishes..

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I see this topic was posted here 8 months ago also..one of the comments that were made gave me a chuckle...

I bet she didnt turn down her Christmas bonus !!!

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit