Need help combatting disfellowshipping policy scripturally

by stuckinlimbo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Hi I need some help to show that the scriptures used to uphold the disfellowshipping policy are actually only meant to apply to those that deny the christ blah blah. Not for me but someone close to me. Parents have disowned her. But they love her dearly . She is 18!!! She has told them she doesn't think that the elders would be upset if her own family talks to her and they have responded that it is not about the elders but about "Jehovah" However, this may be a good thing, if she can email them with info that shows the "shunning" policy is unscriptural. Any help appreciated as I have concepts but not specifics.... I will continue to do my own research but if anyone has any pointers that would be great

• onemore
    onemore

Stuck,

Read Chap 11 of Ray Franz's "In Search of Christian Freedom". You can buy a pdf copy of this book for $9.95 from http://www.commentarypress.com/Publication/English.html.

I think that you'll find all that you need to know in that chapter.

Onemore

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

I have the book, and COC and some others, but I have gotten so used to just reading on the internet, I never even thought of it! will go read now, thanks

• alanv
    alanv

I would say that since 1985 the second baptism question you have to answer is

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism."

So you are in effect agreeing to abide by what the spirit directed organisation tells you.

Clearly if you later disagree with their interpretation of the bible and you want to speak your mind on it, they are within their rights to no longer treat you as a Jehovah's Witness. I guess they can say you have disassociated yourself as you no longer accept 'God's channel'

Of course scriptually this is wrong, unless you openly practice sins that are condemned in the bible.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Stuckinlimbo, I respect your effort here, but these people are going to do what ever they want no matter what evidence you show them. Just look at there history: 1914, 1925, 1975, the ever changing blood policy, the 7 times changed Generation understanding, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on.

The treat the bible as if it were their own personal book...wait, their bible is their own personal book.

Sorry Stuck, you dont stand a chance.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Parents have disowned her. But they love her dearly . She is 18!!! She has told them she doesn't think that the elders would be upset if her own family talks to her and they have responded that it is not about the elders but about "Jehovah".

As long as the parents are "strong" in the cult, there is very little anyone else can do. I speak from experience because my oldest child disassociated at 21 years old and for over 10 years we didn't communicate. I was a MS and was reaching out to be an elder...I didn't want to lose my service "priviledges" so I strickly obeyed the WT rules. One day two elders came to visit my wife and I to commend us for our fine example...and for helping a "fatherless" teenager in the congregation. Right at that moment I realized that I was acting as a father for this stranger when I was totally ignoring my own child. I told the elders I felt like a hypocrit and that I wanted to follow my heart and be a father to my child. One of the elder said that I could have some contacts with my child...but the other elder and I said that this is not what the society teaches. The brothers said that they would do research to help me see things Jehovah's way. Two week later they dropped photocopies of WT articles I was very familiar with. I told them that at their last visit I was feeling depressed but that now I was fine with the whole situation. Until a few months later, the July 2009 Awake article "Is it wrong to change your religion". In this article we are telling people that no one should have to choose between belief or family...hypocrits...Since then, I started talking to my child and we are visiting. I stepped down as a MS and started fading. I apologized to my child for being so distant during 10 lost years...so much wasted time.

• Este
    Este

(1 Corinthians 5:9-11) In my letter I wrote YOU to quit mixing in company with fornicators, 10 not [meaning] entirely with the fornicators of this world or the greedy persons and extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, YOU would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

(1 Corinthians 5:12-13) For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves.”

These were letters to the "so called leaders" of the congregation, not to the masses. One must conform before they can teach the congregations. First remove the rafter from your eye before you ask your brother etc.......

Estephan

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Este have you read the July 2009 Awake article "Is it wrong to change your religion"? Do you not think that is the heighth of hypocrisy?

NVR2L8 I'm sorry you missed 10 years but I am glad to hear you are spending time with your child again.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Seriously? They use Paul's words about 'not mixing in company with fornicators, greedy people, idolaters, revilers, drunkards, and extortioners' to throw out people who don't agree that Jesus was confused about what "generation" means. Meanwhile, they idolatrously worship a publishing company and the 7 men in charge of it.

You honestly believe you can reason with people like that? Satan is more reasonable. At least Jesus could get him to go away.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here are a couple scriptures that come to mind:

Matthew 8: 15-17 KJV Moreover if thy brother shall tresspass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Is this the pattern that the Witnesses follow? First in private, second with a few friends (intervention), and finally in public, in front of the entire congregation? This respects the person while guaranteeing fairness. (A disgruntled elder can't judge in private).

Rather, Witnesses are told to suck it up. If that doesn't work, go to the elders. Personal reconciliations is not encouraged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit