Materialism in your congregation?

by chukky 594 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What I can only imagine is: what would this religion resemble if it were geographically isolated from the rest of society for a couple of decades??? The thought is actually scary.

There have been Watchtower's that have almost envied with times when religious leaders had the governmental power to execute their members. They hate the fact that apostates, people who oppose them, are walking around freely. If they were a country they would kill their own people I have no doubt of it in my mind.

-Sab

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They act as if being rich is a sin. That is, everything you could do that might result in getting rich is condemned. Get a full time job? Quit your job, and pio-sneer. You make $50 an hour? You need to quit, so you can pio-sneer. You make $50 an hour, still make all the boasting sessions, and put in 25 hours a month in field circus? You should quit, so you can make that 200 hours a month. And, displaying nice things might "stumble" others in the congregation.

There is a time and a place for materialism. You need to acquire nice things (that are going to hold up) now, because you do not want to have them break when the dollar becomes worthless soon. If you have a car that gets 18 gallons to the mile, you need to replace it with something that gets decent gas mileage (and perhaps a bicycle) before prices become impossible to afford and gas goes to a nonillion dollars a gallon. If you have clothing that is ratty or simply looks or feels terrible, you should replace them with the best you can afford so you don't have them wear out right in the middle of hyperinflation and/or shortages. And so on.

Beyond this, another good time for materialism is after a major crisis, or if a person is creating real wealth. There is no reason not to enjoy wealth if you are creating it. If you are able to get your hands on a mountain of silver now, or you did so when it was only $4 an ounce in the early 2000s, and hold onto it while it reaches $6,000 per ounce in pre-QE2 dollars, there is no reason not to spend it on other assets when they are at their lows. So long as you do not use the wealth to steal wealth from others (like the big banks and the Rothschild family do), there is no problem with enjoying it.

As for right now, I believe this is a good time to be putting wealth in assets that protect it from inflation. Yes, get those durable goods and basic necessities now. Yes, replace that gas guzzler with something that uses much less gas. But, do you really need a 72" TV? Or, perhaps a 32" or 40" will do--saving electricity when it gets very expensive while saving you a pretty penny that can be invested in a silver "penny". And, if you have money socked away in your bank, what happens when the dollar becomes worthless or the whole banking system goes kaput? As much as I am in favor of enjoying your wealth, I think now is a good time to be thinking more of protecting it.

And "spiritual wealth" is not the answer. If anyone donates to a religion, no less the Washtowel Slaveholdery, you are wasting money. The whole idea of investing is to be able to have it for future use, so you can enjoy wealth. Quitting that good job is not the answer--I believe you should keep it as long as possible. And protect your wealth so you will have it to enjoy at some future time. As for those who preach giving up your wealth (as opposed to protecting it), shame on them--especially when they preach donating to their own organization.

• wobble
    wobble

Loads of expensive cars, top range Audi, Lexus , merc, and the COBOE drives a Porsche Boxter.

But is that materialism ? If they can well afford it , why not ?

• anglise
    anglise

What gets me is the very same monied ones will stand on the platform telling everyone to 'keep their eye simple',

Hypocrisy in action!!!!!!

Anglise

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ANGLISE:

This is precisely what I am saying, that there are too many hypocrites of the highest order in this religion. The poverty they are preaching is not for them, just some other sucker.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Before I moved to The Woodlands I knew it was nice place. People made it out to be,like you have to be uber rich to live here. There are those types out here retired ballplayers from local teams,maybe a few executives,etc ,but not everybody is.b Talking to my neighbors I will say most people out here have college degrees, and thus are able to make a fairly decnt living.

To JW's that may affect how they see this area or the people in it. At my last congregation the only people I knew who are materialistic ( the averagen JW wouldn describe them as such. IMO,they can afford it ) were my friend and his dad. They both work in landscape,but have moved up to commercial and do quite well. They both bought corvettes,boats,travel often and everybody hung around them as they have money.

And I learned in the WTS if you have money AND you have a title.....everybody likes you, and you're invited to everything.

From what I've seen at the local congregation...some carry themselves as if they know their stuff doesn't stink. Some of the elders came across as a bit arrogant. Looking back,perhaps because they're used to people comiong to visit to see what it's like...and check out the cars in the parking lot. There were some who seemed to be attending to say they are associated with the congregation,but probably don't live in the area.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

at a recent school they had a bunch of elders giving talks about how wonderful it is to be MS's and elders. The first guy, believe it or not, was actually pretty humble. He spoke about how "what we are at our jobs means nothing. We shouldn't focus on our job titles" and stuff like that. Lame talk, but I dug what this cat was laying down.

Then this arrogant, dressed-to-the-nines politician-looking elder gets up and give the next talk. My man has big gold cufflinks, a very expensive looking silk tie, flashy suit, diamond pendant tie-pin, shoes like mirrors,...... the works. And all throughout his awful talk, he keep using any excuse he could to drop hints about how he is some big shot at his job and "has a department" working for him at this important agency.

Mr. Falcon was not amused.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

"Then this arrogant, dressed-to-the-nines politician-looking elder gets up and give the next talk. My man has big gold cufflinks, a very expensive looking silk tie, flashy suit, diamond pendant tie-pin, shoes like mirrors,...... the works. And all throughout his awful talk, he keep using any excuse he could to drop hints about how he is some big shot at his job and "has a department" working for him at this important agency."

"...shoes like mirrors......"

Hahahahahahaha. I've seen that brother before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit