Mixed marriages - JW/non-JW - what makes you stay?

by Nickolas 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

thanks for pointing out the differences between self medication, problem drinking and alcoholism. But I am already aware of this, however a witness may not and I was commenting from that point of view but I was not clear.

You're welcome, Curtains, but I was more interested in demonstrating to you that I know the difference.

I married a nice Anglican girl and converted her. She took to it like a duck to water and has turned into a JW predator.

I hadn't realised until now, Black Sheep, how similar our stories are. The only difference is that you were a born-in. I, too, married a nice Anglican girl - we even did the service in the Anglican church, performed by the same Anglican minister who baptised her as an infant. Her brother discovered The Truth in early 1974. He had been such a hopeless reprobate before that I was genuinely astonished by his transformation and decided it was worth my while learning what it was all about. My wife wanted nothing to do with it. I started studying, going to meetings and assemblies while my wife held back. By late the following year, 1975, she's studying too. The light came on for me in 1976, before I got baptised but after the failed prophesy that everyone these days seems to deny ever happened. But by then she was hooked. We have a child by now, debts and responsibilities. We start to have minor arguments about the Watchtower and by late 1977 she tells me she wants to get baptised. I say no, she does it anyway, and it has been a malaise in our marriage ever since. I can't improve on your words. I want her back. I'm trying to find her. I catch a glimpse of her now and again.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

before I got baptised

clarification, before I could decide to get baptised. It never happened. Ours is not an apostate situation.

• alias
    alias

I choose to be where I am. Every relationships has its pros/cons and all have the meshing/sharing of two seperate lives/wills. In this case, it works for both of us.

alias

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Thank you, alias. I agree completely, so long as the partners in a relationship respect one another's differences and make accomodations for them it will work out. It is only when there is an irreconcilable issue at play that things become more complicated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit