Have the rules changed for inactive people?

by cognac 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

Cause I see a bunch of inactive doing disfellowshipping things and its known by the elders and the elders aren't doing anything because they are inactive...

So, just wondering if the rules have changed, or there is more of a loophole somewhere that wasn't there before?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you are inactive and not doing anything, they are not supposed to bother you. Back in the late 1990s, there was an inactive witless that had roughly 4 years of inactivity that was betting on football games. Someone tried to rat him out at work, and they did nothing. Bear in mind that they don't always abide by this--if the hounders feel like dragging you back in, they will do so anyways.

However, if you attempt to return to the cancer and continue doing things like this, you will be hauled before a judicial committee. I saw this happen once, when someone that had been inactive attempted a return, was still doing things, and got disfellowshipped. Which to me is the epitome of stupidity if you want them back.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I dont think anything has changed, Sue.. my daughter stopped attending many years ago.
    Never been disfellowshipped....But an elders wife told her ,if she went back again she would,
    be DF.( she married an unbeliever )Well now my GRAND Daughter
    who hasnt spoken to me for years because I was df,I found out via facebook she was pregnant
    ( this Feb she had the baby)is not married,boyfriend is NOT a JW.So I DID call my JW daughter
    to let her know "So I am gonna be another Great Granny"She of course wanted to know how
    I knew..( wasnt happy about that)So I asked if she was DF.??"NO she hasnt been to the KH
    for over a year...So I guess things havent changed.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think the elders take the rank and file congregation into account, too. If the inactive one is being shunned already, then why bother with the charade of their star chamber mock trial? They've got enough crap on their plate as it is.

• cognac
    cognac

hmmm, so how long do you have to be inactive for them not to bother you? What if you go to one meeting every once in awhile? What if you are married to a JW so are still in association with JWs?

If you are celebrating a holiday and they want to haul you into a jc, can you tell them they aren't supposed to bother you because you are inactive and then they just leave you alone?

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

I think its all about how much of a "threat" they deem you to be to others. If you lay low dont associate with witnesses and are discreet/dont talk about your experinces or criticize them in any way they'll leave you alone

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Is it not also if it is known in the community that you were a witness?

I know that i am definitley a potential for being d'fed but i live in a city where no one knows that i was a witness, my old congregation don't know where i am and my family seem to accept me (they don't know all the things i do that could get me df'd) so i live a nice peaceful life.

• itsbeenalongtime
    itsbeenalongtime

OK from what I know, and I am still in...Is that they leave you alone...Infact, there is a brother here that was a son on an Elder but he left the truth when he went away to college..He since has got married. I guess now he wants to come back. He has been out for about 10 years. So what our Elders have done is just study with him. Everything he did, and is still doing, doesnt matter I guess.. I find it strange but that is what they do here. Not that personally care what he has done, because I dont but i seems to me that everyone always wants everyone to be in trouble for something but our Elders seem to study with the ones that want to come back and they dont DF them..Hope this helps.

• Scully
    Scully

We were about 8 successful years into our fade when out of the blue two Elders™ stopped by our new home. They offered Mr Scully a Bible Study™ and assistance to reactivate us, which he declined. The Elders™ then asked him if he considered himself to be a JW, to which he answered "No". They left, and we didn't hear from them again. About a year later, I heard from some JW ladies who stopped by that they had announced from the platform that Mr Scully had written a letter to DA himself which was a lie, and I called them on it. I sent them packing and told them I didn't want to see them again or any other JW if they were going to spread malicious gossip about my husband. They never came back.

• itsbeenalongtime
    itsbeenalongtime

Scully, Did you every find out if the Elders ever did make such an anoucment? I would ask them to show the letter, if they did...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit