Was Jesus' sacrifice really necessary? Or even a sacrifice at all?

by AiAi 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AiAi
    AiAi

Does it make sense that after Adam ate of the fruit god would condemn all of mankind until Jesus sacrificed himself? Does 1 perfect person's sin really equal 1 perfect person's sacrifice plus billions of imperfect peoples death and suffering?

Jesus' sacrifice to save mankind really was not a sacrifice at all if he knew he would be raised up after 3 days.

Also, Satan's 'temptations' of him were not really temptations at all if he knew god would give him the kingdom; or, in the case of the trinity belief, if Jesus is god then there was definitely no way any of it was a sacrifice or temptation because he new he would save himself and Satan could tempt him with something he could have at any moment.

Do the 'sins' the average person does in an average lifetime really fit the punishment of eternal damnation? Would a just god really do that? What about the worldwide suffering that has occurred since the garden of eden? How does one sin from a 'perfect' man mean that everyone has to suffer?

Even if we are given our lives back through Jesus' sacrifice how is god going to compensate us for the billions of cumulative years of pain and suffering? Our imperfect worldly governments allow us to sue others for this so would not a perfect god understand there is still an unpaid debt?

• Crank!!!
    Crank!!!

Agreed!!

That is my biggest complaint about religion/christians

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I agree with this too!

• AiAi
    AiAi

I have only been thinking about this recently but it really seems to me that Jesus did not make any real sacrifice, especially when you consider how long he has been alive so even the short time he was here on earth was barely a blink of an eye for him. So I really dont understand how he is worthy of being our only way to god, or how he even cancelled out Adam's sin since Adam was eternally destroyed for it.

Also, what about Eve? She was 'perfect' and ate too, does she need someone to cancel her sin? Or maybe since she is a woman she doesnt count as a person?

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

AiAi - that thing about no sacrifice for Eve alwas bothered me too, I couldn't understand how the death of 1 pefect man equals the death of two perfect people. Never got a decent answer.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It's a principle that probably made sense to 1st century Jews and pagans, as sacrifices were used to keep in favour with their various gods, but for us it does seem illogical.

• Ding
    Ding

Does it make sense that after Adam ate of the fruit god would condemn all of mankind until Jesus sacrificed himself? Does 1 perfect person's sin really equal 1 perfect person's sacrifice plus billions of imperfect peoples death and suffering? Do the 'sins' the average person does in an average lifetime really fit the punishment of eternal damnation? Would a just god really do that? What about the worldwide suffering that has occurred since the garden of eden? How does one sin from a 'perfect' man mean that everyone has to suffer?

I believe the biblical conclusion would be that God views sinful rebellion far more seriously than we do.

2. Jesus' sacrifice to save mankind really was not a sacrifice at all if he knew he would be raised up after 3 days.

As horrendous as crucifixion is, Jesus' suffering was not merely physical. 1 Peter 2:24 says that he bore our sins in his body. I think that means more than just "he suffered and died."

Mark 15:34: "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"-- which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" I think this describes a spiritual suffering by the sinless Son of God far deeper than we can understand.

3. Also, Satan's 'temptations' of him were not really temptations at all if he knew god would give him the kingdom; or, in the case of the trinity belief, if Jesus is god then there was definitely no way any of it was a sacrifice or temptation because he new he would save himself and Satan could tempt him with something he could have at any moment.

I believe the temptations were really supposed alternatives that would bypass Jesus' bearing the sins of the world.

• whereami
    whereami

Please stop making sense. You might scare some christians.

• stapler99
    stapler99

Never made sense to me either. I always had it on hold as one of those things that might make sense at a future time.

• Ding
    Ding

1. Does it make sense that after Adam ate of the fruit god would condemn all of mankind until Jesus sacrificed himself? Does 1 perfect person's sin really equal 1 perfect person's sacrifice plus billions of imperfect peoples death and suffering? Even if we are given our lives back through Jesus' sacrifice how is god going to compensate us for the billions of cumulative years of pain and suffering? Our imperfect worldly governments allow us to sue others for this so would not a perfect god understand there is still an unpaid debt?

I think a biblical answer would be that God considers sinful rebellion to be a lot worse than we do.

2. Jesus' sacrifice to save mankind really was not a sacrifice at all if he knew he would be raised up after 3 days.

The payment wasn't just physical death. It was taking our sins into his own body. 1 Peter 2:24.

3. Also, Satan's 'temptations' of him were not really temptations at all if he knew god would give him the kingdom; or, in the case of the trinity belief, if Jesus is god then there was definitely no way any of it was a sacrifice or temptation because he new he would save himself and Satan could tempt him with something he could have at any moment.

I think the primary temptation was for Jesus to look out for himself instead of paying for our sins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit