Local JW's a little slack in their preaching efforts?

by cognizant dissident 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• moshe
    moshe

JWs are just lazy today, they don't want a real discussion with informed people.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses seem to be slipping--at least one congregation is (the one I used to attend isn't). I last saw them in field circus in October 2009. As I had other business to attend to this morning, I went near the road leading from the Kingdumb Hell this morning around when the witlesses would be expected to egress--and none showed up. That is a good sign.

And, with gas going up (along with food), I would expect them to be even worse at slacking. As it costs more to do field circus (and they find themselves unable to afford anything), they will actually be able to do less than they were used to. At which point Brother Hounder will guilt them into doing more--as the dollar crashes and burns, they will claim Satan is trying to stop them and that, unless they do as much as when they could afford gas and food, Satan has won.

Hyperinflation--good for me (not only less risk of physical recapture due to costs going to Andromeda, but I have a good quantity of physical silver I intend to use when toilet papers are worthless), very bad for the witlesses.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Look on the bright side......at least you weren't bombarded by whacky cult spiel!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You experienced the "Pioneer approach to the Ministry" - just keep going, have a mental time clock ticking and heaven forbid that you have to actually have to speak to people!.

I must admit that there were times when I did that , usually when I just had to get in a report.

With the amount of arm twisting that is going on to get almost everyone auxiliary pioneering in April (or is it May?) I guess that there will be a lot more shoe leather tramped aimlessly around our streets as reluctant dubs just have to get in their 30 hours.

This is what happens if you reward the workers by the hours rather than by results..

• willyloman
    willyloman

Before I left back in '03, there emerged a new, popular way to get time: Letter writing!

About 10 people would show up one of their homes at 7 in the morning and "write letters." Basically, they'd copy a handwritten letter over and over again, hand-address an envelope, and stamp it and later it'd go in the mail. It was a pleasant gathering, lots of conversation, plus coffee and donuts. And a handful of letters got written.

When I attended this party one morning it soon seemed obvious it would be a lot more efficient to process the letters on a computer, including the envelopes. This would present a more professional image, and the letters would be spell-checked.

When I suggested that, you'd think I'd farted in church. Nobody was remotely interested in doing it that way. There were only a few letter-writing "territories" and the work would all get done in an hour and there'd be nothing left to do but door to door.

Later I researched WTS writings and actually found a Kingdom Ministry article on letter-writing that recommended letters be word-processed rather than hand-written. I printed it out and bought it to the next session. Nothing but blank stares. It was all about eating up time.

FS activity is ruled by the "Pioneer Pace."

• Curtains
    Curtains

they missed a good opportunity. Witnesses here are so vigilant. The feld ministry conductor even asks if all the basements were done.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$/JW Disaster Messenger Service..

"If theres a Slower Way to Do It..We`ll Find It"..

http://mintywhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/slow-snail.jpg

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Gee, Cog... I suppose that this thread is just some kind of joke or mockery, right? (Somehow the humour is lost on me...)

So, why does it appear to be that JWs are "slacking"? The question that really would have to be asked is: does your garden variety JW go out in Field Service because they WANT TO or because they HAVE TO? I'm pretty sure that the majority simply DO NOT enjoy it at all. Really, who would enjoy doing something that would have them facing apathy or hostility 99 times out of 100? Lets face it: it's a miserable experience. Because they are only human, they are more interested saving their own skins than they are in trying to save the souls of hostile, apathetic strangers, despite the pep talks from the leadership. The words of the Apostle Paul be damned; a sense of obligation or duty just doesn't cover it either! Also, the leadership isn't nearly as interested in results as they say they are; the FS is merely a means to keep the "sheep" busy and distracted.

I repeat: JWs are only human. They should be much more pitied than criticized or mocked.

I myself hardly ever have anything to do with them anymore. I'm all too happy that I rarely hear from them (per my wishes). I'm not the least bit pleased when on rare occasions they still do knock on my door every now and then. It's especially irritating when I'm at home waiting for a delivery or a maintenance person and when I answer the door, it's THEM instead. I'd be positively thrilled if they NEVER would show up at MY door again.

So, what is it, Cog? Are you secretly longing to have contact with JWs again? Isn't a lifetime of their BS enough? How about not bothering yourself with what JWs do and how they do it and keep on with living your own life? How about the rest of you here? Wouldn't it be better for all of us if we never had to be bothered with them are their kind ever again?

Cya around, sweetie...

V665V665

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

No, I'm not secretly longing to have contact with JW's again. I can have all the contact I want with my JW family. And I don't want much of that, even.

I'm also not saying they should enjoy field service. I didn't enjoy it when I was doing it. But they claim it is an urgent life-saving work, so enjoy it or not, lives are at stake and you would think they would take it a bit more seriously and put in a bit more effort.

Yes, I am mocking the lack of effort as it betrays a basic hypocrisy at the core of most JW's beliefs. They do the ministry because of peer pressure, not because the spirit moves and directs them. Heads down and avoiding real contact with people right in front of you is body language that says "lack of spirit" and even "depression, shame, embarrasment and avoidance".

Willyloman: We were doing that new and popular letter writing in the eighties as a way to avoid rainy cold miserable days and still make our time. At that time they were encouraging us to hand write the letters to be more personal, although few people had personal computers back then so no choice really. Although photocopies were easy enough to make. It was a time waster, that's for sure.

I never understood why some people called the elder's "hounders" as they had never hounded me and most seemed too apathetic to hound anybody. When I got separated in 2009, an elder finally talked to me, after 3.5 years of inactivity. It's funny, he said he was going to "hound" me for a study when I got settled in my new place. I nearly burst out laughing that he used that terminology. Still, he never called once, so his threat to hound me was incredibly insincere also.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Forever crying wolf just exhausts people when the crisis they are warning everyone about never shows up. Generations of people (which do NOT overlap...sheesh!) have come and gone.

None of my relatives born on or before 1914 are alive. In my family, 'this generation' most certainly DID pass away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit