When Sects are Cults

by Lunatic Faith 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I know this is a long post and I'm sorry. But this is a paper I wrote for my sociology final this term. I was supposed to look at some aspect of my life sociologically. If you have the patience to read it I would appreciate some input on what you think of it and if my reasoning is sound. (I haven't read Combatting Cult MInd Control yet because this school year has been so busy. Hoping to read it this summer:) Thank you from LUna

When Sects are Cults

Compared to almost every other high-income country, the United States has surprisingly managed to maintain their religiosity. Religiosity is defined as the importance of religion in one's life (Macionis, 2009, p. 398). The U.S. can even claim some homegrown faiths which have become some of the fastest growing religions in our day. My family has extensive and generational adherence to two of these religions: Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

A church is defined as a religious organization that is well integrated into the larger society, persists for centuries, has a formally trained clergy class, and recognizes the right of others to have different beliefs. Catholics, Baptists, Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans, and Judaism would all qualify as churches (Macionis, 2009, p. 396).

A sect is a religious organization that stands apart from the larger society. Its members have rigid religious convictions and deny the beliefs of others, which cause outsiders to view them as "narrow-minded" for insisting that they alone follow the true religion. Sects attract more disadvantaged people who find their promise of salvation appealing. A high rate of turnover usually requires sects to proselytize aggressively to maintain their numbers (Macionis, 2009, p. 396-397). Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses would qualify as sects.

Cults are religious organizations that function outside society's cultural traditions. They usually form around a charismatic group or leader who offers a compelling message of a new and different way of life. Cults set themselves apart for they exist at odds with society in general and usually require its members to adopt a radically new lifestyle (Macionis, 2009, p. 397).

I previously mentioned my association with Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses. My father's family has been Mormon since the religion was founded by Joseph Smith in 1830. However, my father chose to convert to Jehovah's Witness when he was only 20 years old. This was 1953. He was told by his 12 brothers and sisters that they would disown him. His own wife threatened him with divorce if he left the faith. He saw a need to follow his heart and was baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. His wife immediately left him, taking their baby daughter with her.

My father left medical school because he was informed Armageddon was only about six months away, and got a job as a crane operator for the railroad in Ogden, Utah. After five years of this back-breaking toil, he met and married my mother-also one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Her family had been associated with Jehovah's Witnesses almost from the beginning-about the time of World War I. After five years of further full-time ministry they decided to start a family and moved 700 miles away from the Mormon family to prevent any indoctrination of me or my siblings. They settled in Central Oregon. Seven years later I was born-1972.

I was only a few days old when I went out in the door-to-door ministry for the first time. Meetings were held 5 times a week and ministry was required every Saturday morning and sometimes on Sunday after services. I never remember liking the ministry or the meetings. Meetings would usually result in me or my brothers getting spanked at least once for not being quiet enough. I would try to hide to avoid going to meetings.

My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was too young to remember but I vividly remember her quick decline. She was bed-ridden by the time I was nine. This was when things got bad. Looking back now I feel I was forced to live life by the Braille method, with little to no direction from my parents who had other things on their minds. Our adherence to the sect of Jehovah's Witnesses remained constant during this time as my father was a strict patriarch with rock-solid faith. This didn't help my feeling of isolation and loss. I couldn't celebrate holidays or birthdays, or salute the flag, or go stay the night at friend's houses.

My mother died when I was nineteen. I used her death as the incentive I needed to submerge myself fully in the Jehovah's Witness faith. According to their creed, all loved ones would be resurrected after Armageddon. I was convinced Armageddon would be here before the year 2000 and that meant I could see my mother again. I entered into the full-time ministry like my parents and fully immersed myself in the faith. Since Armageddon was "just around the corner" I avoided college so I could serve more fully.

The years passed and I stayed faithful, but couldn't maintain the same level of commitment. I started to realize I was becoming emotionally unhinged due to the constant pressure to achieve and measure up to "God's" requirements. I decided to slow down and try to regain my sanity.

I buried my father three months ago-a disappointed old man who had expended his life on a system of beliefs that had only managed to bring him sadness. He never gave up hope that Armageddon would come and he wouldn't have to see death, but he was disappointed once again.

Just as my mother's death invigorated my faith, my father's death killed it. I was not going to finish my life as my father had-he had given up everything to devote himself fully to his faith. And what did he have to show for it? Humiliation, isolation, and persecution.

Once I stopped association with the religion of my childhood, my authentic self began to emerge. I began to heal. I decided to see a therapist during this time and she helped me to see that I had value and needn't judge myself based on the tenets of a marginal group. The number of people with experiences similar to mine is in the thousands.

According Society by John J. Macionis, "most people who join cults suffer no psychological harm" (Macionis, 2009, p. 397). If that were true, there wouldn't be widespread literature and therapy to combat cult mind-control. The damage of being in a controlling religion that guides every aspect of a person's life has been well documented. Jehovah's Witnesses have an authoritarian leadership in that even the minutest aspects of life are controlled by the Governing Body of 9-12 men who live in New York. Things such as health concerns, choices of entertainment, sexual acts performed by married couples, how to dress, how to act, how to speak, and how to worship are all controlled in a subtle manner that makes adherents imagine they are making the proper decisions for themselves based upon ambiguously applied "Bible principles".

According to Time magazine in 2008, Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) lose two-thirds of their born-ins. This high rate of turnover explains the aggressive proselytism each member must engage in (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1716987,00.html). Totalitarianism is a highly centralized system that extensively regulates people's lives and may explain why born-ins leave Jehovah's Witnesses so frequently. From the outside, this relatively harmless sect could be considered normative in that association is voluntary, but once someone becomes an active and baptized member their association is coercive and restrictive (Macionis, 2009, p. 130-131). If a baptized member decides to leave the sect they are disfellowshipped:

If the person rejected their loving admonition and continued to promote a sect, a committee of elders could disfellowship, or expel, such one for apostasy. (2 Timothy 2:17; Titus 3:10, 11) The individual brothers and sisters in the congregation would follow Paul's direction to "avoid" the one who tried to "cause divisions." John counseled similarly: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him."-2 John 10 (Watchtower, 1986, p. 31).

This disciplinary action is excused as loving when in fact it is highly damaging and happens more often than implied by the quote. Families have split up after one of its members is disfellowshipped. People have even killed themselves because such ones are avoided by everyone they know and love within the JW organization. Many others choose to remain within a faith they no longer believe in just to avoid losing their parents, spouse, and children (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/).

When one enters the JW religion, in-group association is strongly encouraged and the congregation becomes ones family and only friends. This maintains a groupthink environment which encourages conformity and results in a narrow view (Macionis, 2009, p. 126). Something else that reinforces this "narrow view" is information control. Opposition literature, interfaith literature, and University educations are strictly discouraged so the groupthink mindset remains untainted. Frequent meetings, regular ministry, and mandatory "family" and "personal" study help even more to reinforce the groupthink and exclude anything that could force a person to reevaluate their belief system (Watchtower, 2008, p.3-11) . The ban on University education creates ever more narrow mindsets and susceptible adherents. Minimal education equals low socio-economic members, which gives these people even more reasons to remain faithful and look to rescue by God.

With these things in mind, wouldn't it be logical to say that this religion may qualify as a cult--a cult that does cause long term emotional and personal damage to its adherents?

JW's are convinced they are the one true religion and everyone who is not a member will die at Armageddon as sinners. This creates a social-conflict between the faithful and those they must work alongside. The in-group mentality helps prevent too much outside association so acceptance that everyone is going to die becomes easier. Jehovah's Witnesses also focus on the bad in the world because this reinforces their belief that "Armageddon must be near". This results in a rather negative view of the world in general and widespread mental illness amongst Jehovah's Witnesses is a testament to the long-term effects of this mindset (http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mental-issues.php).

I was raised in a working class family, but my father's hard work and savings has provided me my house which is providing my education. I already live a life of more enjoyment than he ever had and I have more luxuries because I am willing to spend the money. I don't know if that could be called intergenerational social mobility or simply the tendency of Generation X to spend more and save less. What I do know is that life is more optimistic without religion and I feel in more control of my destiny.

References

Biema, David Van (2008, February 25). America's Unfaithful Faithful. Time. Retrieved from http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1716987,00.html

Macionis, John J. (2009). Society the Basics (10 th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ; Pearson Education, Inc.

Questions From Readers. (1986, October 15). The Watchtower, p. 31.

Repudiate Valueless Things. (2008, April 15). The Watchtower, p. 3-11.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

That was very well written and quite poignant.

Did you get graded on it yet?

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks for posting this.

Here is a web page with links to articles about Jehovah's Witnesses and Mind Control. It might be useful.

http://www.freeminds.org/psychology/mind-control/

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Excellent material - just excellent. Thank you for sharing, Luna - shall not call you Lunatic because you have definitely proven yourself quite the opposite! And my heart feels so saddened for what you have experienced in your early life.

Another book I just recently finished reading on Mind Control was The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by David Johnson and Jeff Van Vonderen. It confirms your points and adds a few more - is a much quicker and easier read than the old Lifton, and other classics in this field and would be my preference to recommend to someone first investigating the possibility of making a change - the subtitle is Recognizing & Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority within the church - and the points can be applied even to churches not technically classified as cults but as a manual to avert veering off in damaging directions.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Haven't gotten graded yet, palmtree. I will post it once I know:)

VM44--I definitely need to spend more time reading freeminds. I have been on there a little bit but will look up the article you recommend. Thanks

saltyoldlady--Once I decided to leave I feel like my desire to read was renewed. I got so tired of reading the same old stuff published by the WT, but would feel guilty if I read anything else. Now I want to read everything I can get my hands on!! So I will check out your books

Thank you for reading it

• witnessofjesus
    witnessofjesus

Yes, Faith, I really enjoyed your well prepared paper. It was, shall I say, refreshing? Yes, refreshing indeed! What school are you going to these days?

Also, I do have one question for those who are JW or are still 'in' thought really 'out', what is the WTS position on their members attending 'on-line' colleges and universities? If one were to attend these, there would be very limited 'association' with unbelievers, and would this be permissible vice the traditional schooling earlier generations had no choice but to attend and live on campus?

I'd be interested to know, or have they not addresses this issue yet?

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I am currently attending a community college in my area, but hoping to transfer so I can get a Bachelor's degree.

I am not aware of an official stand on 'online' courses. It would probably depend on the subject. Vocational schools are alright by some JW's standards since they usually require less time commitment and are focused.

The main thing the JW's discourage--other than the association thing as you mentioned--is teachings that would conflict with 'Bible/WTS' teachings like science or philosophy. The problem with just seeking out a degree is that some courses may be required that cause a student to question and doubt. There is a young pioneer sister in my hall who is attending the community college right now. Her dad is an elder. I keep wondering if the CO's visit this week will change all that because I keep hearing about elders being threatened with removal if their kids are in school. I guess we will see...

• VM44
    VM44

Several years ago someone posted here at JWN (then JWC) that a pioneer sister was removed from being a pioneer because she was taking a course in philosophy!

• witnessofjesus
    witnessofjesus

I don't find that science or philosophy conflict with the Bible's treachings at all. I will say that the Witnesses have the 'basics' right, at least some of the basics right. I enjoy the study of science and philosophy and I'm hoping to complete my Master's degree in the next few years via an online University, found on the web at http://www.tuiu.edu

Yes, I've heard that elders and MS could be removed if they permitted their children to attend colleges and didn't have them 'under control', thus misusing the Scriptural qualification's in Timothy against these who didn't have in subjection their children. How sad, I hope this is not the case.

It is when the WTS attempts to control the lives of it's adherents is where I disagree with its methods and concepts, especially since they're so vague and always changing. In my opinion, a truth is a truth is a truth, newer 'light' doesn't replace older light or older truths, but only shines more brightly upon them making those older truths that much more understood and appreciated, not replacing them and doing the 'flip flop' technique that lots of policitians of today do.

Rest assured that God will hold accountable those at the WTS who are 'in charge' and that He will judge them righteously and mercifully, as they're just probably dupes of the same old system just like most of you were, or are, I'm sure most in today's GB were raised as JWs, and that most of them are 4th, 5th or even 6th generation JWs and so if they're doing evil, unknowingly, I do not believe God will hold that to their charge, but he will judge those and they will be dealt with both mercifully and to their everlasting benefit. Why the emphasis on the 'anointed' so much? Most of the other Bible student groups that broke off from the WTS in 1917 still exist, and most of them still use the books as published by C.T. Russell and most of them believe that the last of the 144,000 died back in the 1950s, and that since then, the Youthful Worthy class, another class they came up with from the Scriptures, is in charge now, and that these are almost dead as well, at which time, according to them the Consecrated Ephiphany Campers, another class they came up with from where I do not know, will take the lead amongst the Bible students association. They still have annual Conventions and International Conventions just like the JWs do, but they're not under any organizational authority to conform to such and such, and they celebrate Christmas, New years and all the so-called 'pagan' holidays and they salute the flag and serve in the military...they rest in the thougth that Jesus died for ALL MEN, including Adam and that this life is not the only chance one has at 'getting saved', but that that work is left for the Millenial Reign of Christ and His Church in the Kingdom that is coming. They set no dates, they don't go around door-to-door as much as the JWs do, but they do rejoice in the work that the JWs are doing, for at least the Kingdom good news is being preached they say, but that it's not their job to do it, that's why God is using the JWs to do it for them. You might be interested to read about them at http://www.biblestandard.com

Cheers,

Witness

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Very cool, Luna! Here is one I wrote for a class called "Second Language and Culture Acquisition"

Cultural Self-Study and Reflection

The cultural background of my family is not easily defined. My parents both came from Midwestern families with typical conservative ideals. They were both raised in large, white, middle class families in smaller cities in Kansas. They were taught to have a good work ethic and that nothing is free. Both subscribed to high control, evangelical, fundamentalist Christian religious sects. My parents raised their children within the model that they had been reared within.

As Rugh (2001) mentions, Midwestern culture is rooted in the values of the family farm mentality. Even for the non-religious, the lens through which traditional Midwesterners view the world is influenced by Calvinist / Protestant traditional values. A belief in God and a shunning sloth are two dominant qualities found within much of Midwestern society. My parents brought us up with these values in mind. My parents always strived to instill in their children a strong work ethic. This training has stayed with me as an adult. My siblings and I have always valued hard work and the satisfaction that comes from a job well done. This work ethic actually makes it difficult to identify with those who seem to accept half-hearted or lackluster job performance as adequate.

Though my parents had a strong work ethic, my family lived below the poverty level for the majority of my years at home. My siblings and I learned early in our lives to make do with what we had. The low socioeconomic level of our family served as a motivator to both me and my brother. We both wanted more from life. In this, neither of us followed in our parents’ footsteps. This cultural aspect motivates me to work hard and make smart choices when it comes to financial issues. I recall what it felt like to struggle from day to day to meet the financial obligations for a family of six. Though I’ve experienced financial hardship as an adult, the thought of struggling the way my parents did is abhorrent to me. This is strong factor in my decision making process.

Our low socioeconomic status tangentially exposed us to other cultures at an early age. Our family tended to live in poorer neighborhoods that had high ethnic minority populations. I’ve always considered this a positive in my life because in my formative years, my daily associates and friends were a diverse group. In fact, during my sixth grade year, my sister and I made up half of the white population at the school we attended. I’d like to think that this influences how I view minorities. I am able to be empathetic to those who are the minority in any given group because of my experiences. It has helped me to be sensitive to the cultural differences of others and, more importantly, the common ground shared by all.

The largest cultural influence, for me, is my religious background. My parents were both second generation Jehovah’s Witnesses. Though I am no longer a member of this sect of Christianity, it continues to play a part in my thoughts, actions, and decision making. As a young person, the tenants of this high control religion contributed to a sense of isolation. The religious leaders, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WBTS), tell young people the following:

Even godless people may manifest fine qualities. But if you choose them as your close friends, your thinking, faith, and conduct will be affected. Thus, in his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul stated: “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers.”— 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 (Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 1989).

With this sort of prohibition on association with non-believers, this seriously limited the depth of the relationships that were developed with my peers. These prohibitions were enforced by a policy of excommunication for those who would go against the rules put in place by the church leaders. The shunning of those who are nonconformists extends even to family members (WBTS, 1988, pp. 26-30). This judgmental view not only affected my dealings with my teachers and classmates, but it also limited the contact that our family had with non-believing extended family members.

My view of education, as a young person, was also heavily influenced by my family’s religious beliefs. During those formative years when my classmates were being introduced to the idea of college, I was being steered away from college. Church leaders at that time steered young church members away from higher education in favor of full time ministry. Those leaders promoted their own non-academic publications as providing and education equivalent to a college degree (WBTS, 1983).

Though I am not a practicing Jehovah’s Witness, some of the teachings stay with me. I know that my mother’s example of having a steady moral compass is something on which I will always rely. The example of doing the right thing simply because it’s the right thing has become part of my own ethical code, and one that I hope to exemplify to my children and the students in my classroom.

In my adult life, I’ve tried to make up for lost time. Though discouraged from pursuing higher education as a teen, I treasure the opportunities that education has given to me. In my case, the culture that I was a part of as a youngster has inspired me. Though my inspiration takes me in a direction contrary to my cultural indoctrination, it is what energizes and motivates me as a future teacher. It’s what has helped me to be a lifelong learner and a voracious reader. It’s what makes me take my civic duties seriously and fuels my desire to push my students to contribute to their communities to make them better places. It helps me value the contribution that women make to our society, though I was always taught that women were to be subservient to men. I’ve been able to take up the challenge of listening to what others have to say and realize that their beliefs are just as important to them as mine are to me. I no longer dismiss these as simply the ideas of those that church elders have determined to be “bad associates.” This self-imposed direction does give me a low threshold for individuals who appear to choose willful ignorance. However, this doesn’t allow me to give up on trying to show even these the value of intellectual pursuits.

It is my goal to reach out to my students in a manner that uses the best of my cultural background while always considering that of my students.

References

Rugh, Susan Sessions. Our Common Country: Family, farming, Culture, and Community in the Nineteenth- Century Midwest. 2001. Indiana University Press. Bloomington, IN.

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, (1989). Questions young people ask, answers that work . Brooklyn, NY: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York.

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. (1983, June 15). An excellent education. The Watchtower , 31.

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. (1988, April 15).Discipline that can yield peaceable fruit. The Watchtower , 26-30.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit