using the name "jehovah"

by finallyfree! 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

i find it to be frankly disrespectful. im a father, if my kids were to call me by my first name id find that wierd. we address judges with "your honor" and various other titles, so why on earth would we call the almighty god by his first name? imagine being in a courtroom and hearing the plaintif or defendant call the judge " hey joe" or "yes thats right judy"....wouldnt fly.

jws are so arrogant and self righteous that they take the liberty of calling almighty god by his first name?? "dear jah, please bless this and that and give us this and that..." gimme gimme gimme!

one would think theyd be struck by lightening...

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

funny thing is that in the bible there's not one occurrence of jesus using the name jehovah. he always says father, even when he tells his disciples how to pray. and there's also no "in jesus' name".

• Heaven
    Heaven

J. Hofer, I had noticed that too years ago in my teens. I also couldn't fathom calling a Heavenly Father by his first name since I didn't call my Earthly Father by his. It was definitely a sign of disrespect and there were no bones about that when I was a kid!

What's even more interesting is that the use of God's proper name in ancient times would get you dead.

I always used to like pointing out to my parents that Yahweh was more accurate and asking why don't the Witnesses use Yahweh instead of Jehovah? Always the silence and the blank stare.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I did a thread about this about six months ago. The poster Hadit got me to thinking on this subject.

I had just spent the afternoon with a girlfriend and she has two little boys that are six years old there were also a lot of other little kids at the get together we were at also.

The little kids were calling mommy to all the moms never with their first names attached. I could not tell who was who but as soon as one of her boys said mommy she wiped around and knew who he was. He did not go Becky mom, Becky mom but just mom.

I got to thinking if a human can get to know the sound of their own child's voice should not the God of the universe know our voice if he is the huge God of love that we were taught?

Also I would never have thought to call my parents by their first name, EVER. They would have been so offended and mad at me.

For us to say Jehovah God is really offensive when you sit down and think it through, it is just that we were taught that for so long that we or at least I just thought 'Hey that makes sense because there are a lot of god's out there and hey maybe Jehovah God is a little show and will not know who I am talking to if I just say Father or Lord or God so yep makes sense to me that I have to call him by his first name Jehovah.'

Of course I was raised in the religion but still I never sat down and did true reasoning on it. I just the GB do all my thinking of me.

LITS

• Room 215
    Room 215

I always felt that the common off-handed use of the divine name -- "Jehovah this" and "Jehovah" -- almost as a talisman -- is actually an abuse of it, as it cheapens it, deprives it of its rightful awe and reverence. It also diminishes his status as the omnipotent creator to that of a tribal god -- the baddest dude on the block -- but still one of many and therefore needful of a name to distinguish himself from a rather undistguished pack of lesser gods.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The name Jehovah..

Is a Translation Mistake made by a Catholic Monk,in the 14th Century..

The WBT$ GB would Officially like to Thank the Catholics..

Without the Catholics..

The WBT$ wouldn`t have a name for their JW Cult,thier God..

Or a Bible for Fred Franz to re-Write..

"Thank you Catholics!"

"We have Pedophiles Too!"

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Whose idea was it that the Jews had a monopoly on the name of God in the first place?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Whose idea was it that the Jews had a monopoly on the name of God in the first place?

God had many titles, but he revealed name, YHWH, while well know for a awhile, came into lack of use during ( perhaps even before) the Egyptian captivity thing.

YHWH and Elohim being the two that typically are mentioned.

YHWH of course is just the Hebrew wording of " I am that I am" ( or which ever way you choose to "read" it).

Jehovah, like it has been shown over and over is a combination of YHWH with the vowels of Adonai YaHoWaH, which became JaHoVaH, which become JeHoVaH.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Last week's WT study mentioned the Catholic Church's letter from a few years ago that either suggested or dictated that the name should no longer be used. The WT used the letter to bash the church, making it seem like there was sinister intent or malice on the part of the church. I decided to actually read the letter, thank the lord for the internet. I guarantee nobody in my congregation read the letter, and I'm sure they'll reference last week's WT article as all the more reason why the Catholic church is deserving of God's wrath. My personal thought on the letter is that they felt it inappropriate to say or sing the name, and further they feel that they have historical and scriptural support as it appears 1st Century Christians didn't use the name, or at the very least they didn't write it.

Here's a copy for anyone that's moved beyond simply taking the WT's word for it whenever they bash a differing faith's view.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/cdwtetragram.pdf

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The thing is that we DON'T know the correct name, even to translate it or transliterate it and since Jesus taught us to pray and use "Our Father" and even "Abba" during our moments of deep emotional attachment to God, then it is right to do just that.

We can assume and estimate that name to be Yahweh Or Jahweh but we don't know so if we don't know and if the way we were taught by the WORD of God was to use Father and/or Abba, then why wouldn't we?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit