Keeping JW's as Friends - Healthy? - New Awake Article

by GOrwell 19 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

In my experience this can be an issue later. All the while you are a non attending JW maintaining friendships with those who still attend is not an issue. You just need to be aware that they may fall away as the length of non attendance becomes greater. They may also wish to get you back to the meetings and hold out this hope for you so just be aware of the agenda.

If you wish to move on with your life and have the freedom to celebrate, pusue education or interests and leave the doctrines behind then be aware that these friendships may lead you to a JC. If you want to fade and a JC is not something you are ready for then I would limit contact. If you are happy to face whatever the future holds then maintain the friendships as long as they last.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had no JW friends so it wasn't an issue for me. Personally I'm not interested in having JWs around me. Cult issues aside, just their mannerisms are enough to put me on edge. I recall meeting with some ex jws about 6 years ago in a bar. They were supposedly 'out' a lot longer than me but for some reason they still seemed like jws. It wasn't that they were clean cut or anything like that; I work with clean cut people every day, and am not reminded of jws. It made me think that you can take a boy out of the cult, but you can't always take the cult out of a boy. Every time this guy looked at me I expected him to hand me a microphone.

I can't speak for others, but I don't think keeping jw 'friends' would be healthy for me.

W

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The only jw "friends" I have are family members, one of which is very dear to my heart. We don't talk about the crap but she does say somethings in passing that I try to ignore (nothing bad just small things like she went to the meeting on Sunday and such). She knows that I don't go to the hall and have no plans of ever returning and it seems not to matter to her (I hope). Thank goodness her husband isn't a jw too.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I did not give up my JW friends- they gave me up! I am not Df'd or DA either but no one from the cong has anything to do with me and hasn't for many years. I do not mind. They were fake.

^^^ this

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

They shun you, point their collective fingers at you denouncing you as evil, demonic, under Satan’s control, a contaminant to the congregation and to spirituality. You are labeled “spiritually sick”.

The art of projection/finger pointing has been mastered by the organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Be careful when you point your finger at another person. You have three fingers on the same hand pointed right back at you.

Take the WTBTS’s admonition and interpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:11:

“But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a . . . a reviler . . . an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. “

Those under the influence of the WTBTS are sick and delusional. They will make you sick. Not a chance in hell that I would associate with JW’s.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What do you consider to be a friend?

If you mean someone who will be a trusted confident, someone who is always there for you through thick and thin....then NO Way. The very nature of the Witness mind requires them to have loyalty to the group above all else. If they knew that you committed a "gross sin" then they have to shop you and cease the association.

If you mean just someone to talk to (guardedly) most of them are pretty friendly...

• james_woods
    james_woods

I had a good friend who left them at least mentally - (quit attending, quit field service, disagreed with certain doctrines) - but who kept JWs as friends.

When he got old and sold his business he got lonely and started going to the KH again...he is totally back in the cult now.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Believe me, I attempted to let the friendships wither a while ago, even in the most non-contact way possible (without giving away too many details), but they were actually hurt that I wouldn't consider them my friends anymore. This was done in the "but, we still love you/haven't given up on you" somewhat cult-like method.

I don't think they are going to fall away from me, as long as I keep the status quo, which means don't talk about anything religious and don't do anything that would have me labelled as "bad association." I know (from a discussion) that they would like to see me come back to meetings, but there isn't any pressure or emotional blackmail to do so. Although, and maybe I'm being paranoid, I have sneaking suspicion that the reason some of these friends are still friends is to maintain a window into my world, perhaps to gather information that would lead to a DF'ing.

@Wobble/BluesBrother : I have already moved on from the JW's and you're right - these aren't true friendships. I couldn't reveal who I really am or what I really think to them. I don't believe they are aware that my decision is that definitive, yet. I do enjoy the time we spend together, and it is good for my mental stability (everyone needs friends!), but is a friendship genuine/true when there are still conditions on it?

@OTWO/Desirous : I would like to start attending a variety of churches to continue on my quest, and am looking into taking something like the Alpha Course. Whether I could do this 'openly' remains to be seen.

@James_Woods : Interesting.. it sounds like he's in it for completely social reasons.. JW friends are certainly 'easy' to make, but certainly difficult to keep (if they still want you)..

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually, the witlesses will only worry about getting more out of you. More boasting session attendance, more field circus. More donations to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. More discussion about how great the Washtowel study or the Circus Meeting was. More plans to attend the a$$embly or discussions about how that was just what they needed. And more bashing the world without finding any element of hope in it. They all think everything in the world is Satanic (not just the Rothschilds and those who support them). Even those low-level politicians fighting for their liberty are viewed as Satanic.

Of course, from time to time you might find one that has more diverse interests. Usually, however, those are going to be dissuaded. As soon as the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger comes out and re-directs them to the theocraptic interests, they are either going to be sucked right back to that narrow and misleading pattern or they are going to be dumped by the other witlesses. Not to mention, Brother Hounder is always watching--if anyone has diverse interests and is worth the friendship, the hounders are always watching to pull them into pio-sneering or giving up most of those other things so they can pio-sneer. In the name of living a balanced, simple life.

• kimbo
    kimbo

I was never good enough to have friends

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit