Pompeii

by transhuman68 13 Replies latest jw friends

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Everyone knows the story of Pompeii: the city on the west coast of Italy that was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the 1 st Century C.E.

Interestingly, this was around the same time that the Gospels were being written, and the eyewitness accounts of the eruption make an interesting comparison:

"Many lifted up their hands to their gods," the younger Pliny wrote to his friend Tacitus at the end of the first century, "but a great number believed there were no gods, and that this night was to be the world's last, eternal one" (Letters 5.16; 5.20). It was the night of August 24, 79 C.E., and since noon of that day Vesuvius had hurled gas, ash, and pumice 12 miles into the air above the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. Pliny said that the initial eruption looked like a huge umbrella pine (we would have said a giant mushroom cloud). "Like an immense tree trunk it was projected into the air, and opened out with branches. I believe that it was carried up by a violent gust, then left as the gust faltered; or, overcome by its own weight, it scattered widely sometimes white, sometimes dark and mottled, depending on whether it bore ash or cinders."

Of course, Pompeii was completely covered over by a molten flow of gas, ash and pumice, and was lost for over 1,500 years before its accidental rediscovery in 1599.

The excavation of the city produced quite a few farcical incidents, including murals and frescoes that were uncovered, the covered up again or plastered over, due to their graphic sexual content. Many aspects of first century life were perfectly preserved, including the graffiti, of which my favorite is:

Celadus the Thracian gladiator is the delight of all the girls.

Much of the graffiti has been translated, and is available on-line, but is lewd and obscene!

Still, it does make ancient history seem more real, and shows what Jesus and the apostles had to contend with!

(In Search of Paul: John Dominic Crossan and Jonathon L. Reed HarperCollins Publishers 2004)

• dgp
    dgp

Sorry to ask, but, what is the point here?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Sorry to ask, but, what is the point here?

I was wondering the same thing. BTW, I have been to the Pompeii ruins and there is indeed a whorehouse, but I did not see the ruins of a kingdom hall.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Just trying to show that there are two sides of history: the official edited sanitized version: and the real, down-to-earth version that was lived by everyday people.

I think the Bible doesn't give much of an idea of what life was really like, and is rather dull read without other references.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Just trying to show that there are two sides of history: the official edited sanitized version: and the real, down-to-earth version that was lived by everyday people.

OK.

BTW - the guide at the Pompeii ruins made the same point - showing us the outdoor food stands, the market, the public baths, etc. Pompeii was kind of a first century resort city, and likely was very wealthy even by Roman standards.

If I recall correctly, there was no indication of early Christianity being present.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Celadus the Thracian gladiator is the delight of all the girls.

He was portrayed in a recent NOVA dramatization of the eruption of Vesuvius. All the characters in the program were based either on people mentioned in graffiti/inscriptions or people whose remains were uncovered in the excavation.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Woot!! I'll be checkin' it out in 8 weeks!

• james_woods
    james_woods
    He was portrayed in a recent NOVA dramatization of the eruption of Vesuvius. All the characters in the program were based either on people mentioned in graffiti/inscriptions or people whose remains were uncovered in the excavation.

I am going to have to watch that if it comes back on TV again.

Of course, the graffiti inscriptions could be quite a bit older than 79 CE. The guide there told me that it is thought that parts of the remains could have been hundreds of years old at the time of the eruption.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The book I referenced is mainly about the Roman Empire, as there is very little evidence left of early Christianity: although there is a photo of an roman altar at Praeneste, near Rome, which says 'pax' on one side, and 'securitas' on the other, that could be the inspiration for 1 Thessalonians 5:3- "Whenever they are saying peace and security..."

• moshe
    moshe
    I am going to have to watch that if it comes back on TV again.

It's available on Netflix- streaming video, too, for instant view. I watched it on my Sony TV a few months ago. The ones with money were the last to leave. You see, locks were not common- walk away from your house and it would likey have been looted. The poor- they ran away- nothing to lose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit