Carpenters - Yesterday Once More

by possible-san 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

All the Japanese people have my prayers, Possible-san.

Stay well!

Retro

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

OMG, possible! I'm glad that you ARE alright. Stay cool...

V665V665

• Black Sheep
  • Spectre
    Spectre

I'll admit it, if the Carpenters are on the radio, I won't change the channel. Glad you're ok over there.

• Iron Head
    Iron Head

The Carpenters/Rainy Days And Mondays

It's Saturday, but what the hell? Maybe it's raining where you're at

Very glad you're safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
    Sometimes I'd like to quit
    Nothing ever seems to fit
    Hangin' around
    Nothing to do but frown
    Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.

What I've got they used to call the blues
    Nothin' is really wrong
    Feelin' like I don't belong
    Walkin' around
    Some kind of lonely clown

Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you
    Nice to know somebody loves me
    Funny but it seems that it's the only thing to do
    Run and find the one who loves me.

What I feel has come and gone before
    No need to talk it out
    We know what it's all about
    Hangin' around
    Nothing to do but frown

• Iron Head
    Iron Head

The Carpenters/Goodbye To Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdG-ITxL8ok

I'll say goodbye to love

No one ever cared if I should live or die
    Time and time again the chance for love
    has passed me by
    And all I know of love
    is how to live without it
    I just can't seem to find it.

So I've made my mind up I must live
    my life alone
    And though it's not the easy way
    I guess I've always known
    I'd say goodbye to love.

There are no tomorrows for this heart of mine
    Surely time will lose these bitter memories
    And I'll find that there is someone to believe in
    And to live for something I could live for

All the years of useless searching
    Have finally reached an end
    Loneliness and empty days will be my only friend
    From this day love is forgotten
    I'll go on as best I can.

What lies in the future is a mystery to us all
    No one can predict the wheel of fortune as it falls
    There may come a time when I will see that I've been wrong

But for now this is my song

And it's goodbye to love
    I'll say goodbye to love.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Oh possible-san, I am so glad you are ok! I feel so badly for the Japanese people who are suffering.

It looks like the tsunami(s) did more damage since the Japanese have been really good at dealing with architectural updates to handle earthquakes. I wonder if there is something that could be done to help reduce the damage from tsunamis?

The latest problem are the nuclear power plants. They just don't need a meltdown to occur. Wouldn't want to see Japan become like Chernobyl/Ukraine.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Here is what the BBC online had about research regarding tsunamis:

Dr Gopal Madabhushi, from Cambridge University's engineering department, co-authored a study on tsunami-resistant designs for houses after the 2004 disaster that devastated coastal areas in Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and elsewhere.

Testing a design from a group of architects at Harvard University, researchers used a large wave tank and found that allowing water through was better than trying to stop it.

"Instead of trying to obstruct the wave, you allow the wave to pass through the structure while causing minimum damage. Large doorways and windows offer a clear path to go through."

The goal of the design is to protect the building and make it easier to reconstruct afterwards, on the assumption that the occupants have fled to higher ground. Destroyed doors and windows are easy to replace.

"Internal doorways are aligned rather than staggered. If you have staggered doors, the wave gets 'locked' into the house."

Houses on piles are one answer, but might not be desirable in all regions for practical reasons.

"Hawaii has traditionally built reinforced concrete buildings - they might leave the ground floor clear like a parking bay, effectively like a building on stilts," says Dr Madabhushi.

Another key facet in building design is making sure load-bearing walls are not hit head on by the wave, causing the collapse of the structure.

"You can see which direction any tsunami would come from, it is easy to make the load-bearing walls perpendicular to that direction."

Not all buildings will be so well-designed, however, warns Dr Adrian Chandler, an earthquake engineer at UCL's Hazard Research Centre.

"For your average residential structure, it's down to the owner as to whether they're going to put these preparations into place," he says.

"In many cases the costs will be excessive."

Indeed, Dr Chandler adds, the only way to be free of the risks associated with a tsunami is not to live near the coast in the first place.

It is advice that has been heeded in the past. After the Hawaiian city of Hilo was hit by successive tsunamis in 1946 and 1960, authorities moved its residents further inland.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When our class graduated from 7th grade in 1972, we sang We've Only Just Begun at the ceremony. I looked up during the song to see my mother crying. It was a very tender moment for me.

I have a hits CD by them that is great. At the time I thought they were a little fluffy. Now I understand how extremely talented both Richard and Karen were. Burt Bacharach has said Karen had the most naturally beautiful, clear voice he has ever heard.

Goodbye to Love is amazing. The guitar solo in it, by Richard is a wow one. Look at the link in the comment above me and when it gets to 2:45, hear Richard play. The way they layered their own voices to make harmonies was unique. Sometimes they would have many layers of their own voices.

I love Superstar. Superstar is both haunting and beautiful. It's a great love song. I really love the arrangement to the song. From the french horns in the intro to the thunderous sound of Richard's piano and Karen's drumming. Amazing. Written by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett of Delaney and Bonnie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nlLQEfxx8

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm glad you're safe. I worry about the people, there are so many missing.

I will be in Japan in a week and a half.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit