by DanaBug 27 Replies latest social current

• satinka
    satinka

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

satinka

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I think an "I am an ex Jehovah's Witness" site would be cool too...

• Quandry
    Quandry

Good golly....sounds familiar, doesn't it? I'll bet if they just said all the dialogue and left out where they live and the religion they left, we'd think it was the JWs!

Must be hard going, living in a state where the majority of the population is Mormon!

• GromitSK
  • poppers
    poppers

Last summer I met some Mormon missionaries and I brought up the JWs as an example of how a religion can break up families with their DF/DA policy and asked them if they do that if a member decides to leave. They were shocked that the JWs do such a thing and said that they didn't. If someone wants to leave they can, and with no consequences. I responded to that by saying that isn't what I had learned via the internet. He said it wasn't church policy to do that kind of thing. I pressed him on the issue and eventually got them to admit that some do shun, but they weren't supposed to. He tried to make it sound like it was a rare and isolated thing if it ever happened. I gave him the impression that I was skeptical about his claim. The local guy they were canvassing with looked very uncomfortable and embarassed throughout our discussion.

• nugget
    nugget

it is a shame there are so many high contriol groups out there doing harm in the name of religion. It was reading about the mormons that helped me appreciate the similarities with the witnesses and make me more determined to look into things.

• moshe
    moshe
    He tried to make it sound like it was a rare and isolated thing if it ever happened.

Well, he could be right, if he is defining the parameters of "rare and isolated"- I have had the same discussion with Mormon Missionaries and they get nervous talking about that topic, too.

• d
    d

Good for them.The parents saved their children from a lot of grief.I am happy for them

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This is brilliant.

• poppers
    poppers

Well, he could be right, if he is defining the parameters of "rare and isolated"

Yup.

I have had the same discussion with Mormon Missionaries and they get nervous talking about that topic, too.

Next time I talk with these people I'll ask something like, "What does it say about the climate that your church policy creates that would result in even 'isolated and rare instances' of shunning to occur?

It seems to me that a climate of fear has been created that allows shunning to continue to happen despite a "policy" against it. If there is in fact such a policy people are ignoring it; why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit