Update on my chemotherapy and my sister

by MsDucky 27 Replies latest jw friends

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

My sister lost her battle with breast cancer last week. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansas/obituary.aspx?n=mayola-d-walker-johnson&pid=149005242 Her funeral was today. I had just been dismissed from the hospital the day before and she was admitted to ICU the next day.

The chemo has caused me to have congestive heart failure. My ejection fraction is 39% so I'm hoping that I can get that into a higher range. I'm trying to stop smoking. Right now, I smoke about 5 cigarettes a day, which is a lot better than a pack a day. The chemo also caused my hands to break out in a really bad rash (Something called acral erythema or chemotherapy induced hand foot syndrome.). It also affected my airway. I had to get breathing treatments while in the hospital.

The doctor had stopped the Epirubicin (I was on three chemo meds. Look up FEC chemotherapy protocol.), which is thought to have affected my heart. I had been started on Taxotere and I was continued on Cytoxan. The Taxotere seemed to bring everything to a head. It looks like I will not be able to tolerate chemotherapy. I'm thinking that I will be started on the radiation treatments and Tamoxifen. I'll find out tomorrow (I meant Monday).

• nugget
    nugget

MsDucky you are being so brave facing this trial. I am so sorry that your sister lost her battle I truly feel for you. I wish you all the best with the new treament plan I will be thinking of you hoping things go well you need some highs after the time you have had.

Cutting back on the smoking is so hard but to reduce down the level you have shows determination. Keep fighting the fight and post when you can.

(((((((((hugs))))))))))

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Aw, MsMcducky, my heart goes out to you. When it rains it pours sometimes. Good things have got to start happening for you!!

Hopefully they can find a treatment that you can tolerate that will help you fight the disease.

Just a word about smoking..you already know about it I am sure so no lectures, but I had a heart attack while I was smoking a cigarette! The nicotine or sometihing in the cigarette causes the blood vessels to restrict and if you already have a clogged artery it is like a death sentence! I had a widow's maker and I could have died!

Thankfully they did the stent procedure and all was well. But it could have been worse. In talking to my brother (a lifetime smoker) he had a hard time controlling his blood pressure. All of a sudden it kept spiking and I asked him if he had been smoking a lot that night. He said he had been chain smoking. Now he tries to limit his smoking or at least wait a while before he has another. He hasn't had any more episodes on the blood pressure since.

Your body needs time to recover from the bad chemicals in cigarettes. Your body is fighting enough as it is. It needs all the energy it can find to fight the cancer. I'm glad you have really cut down and hope you are able to eventually quit. I just got some of those E cigarettes for a friend that is also going through a lot of smoking related illnesses and needs to quit. hopefully it will help her. I wonder if that would help you?

( Sorry, I said no lecture but I care about you!)

Anyway, I am so glad to see you posting and pray that they find a treatment you can tolerate..

Big hugs..Snoozy (Kathy) Oh yeah, I haven't had a cigarette since then!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I had no idea. So sorry.

-Aude.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's not fair. How could one family be hit so hard like this? You are very beloved here on JWN. I hope so much they find the right things to help you through all of this.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh McDucket!! I'm so sorry you are going through all this pain. I'm thinking of you.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

I hope they can find a treatment that works for you. I'm so sorry about your sister. What a tough time you must be going through.

NLW's wife

• wasblind
    wasblind

" It's not fair. How could one family be hit so hard like this? "

I said the same thing FHN when my mom and one of my younger sisters where hit with this

((((((( Ms Ducky ))))))) You are in my thoughts constantly.

• snowbird
    snowbird

McD, you are very much loved.

Please continue to keep us apprised of your condition.

Holding your hand and praying for strength.

Syl

• zoiks
    zoiks

Thank you for sharing this news with us, MsDucky.

Strength and peace to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit