Are you a spiritual? - What is the definition?

by TastingFreedom 20 Replies latest jw friends

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

As a JW, the definition of spirituality is very limited and narrow minded. But I have realized that I'm a spiritual person even as an Agnostic. Watchtower's use of the word is completely wrong, and only used to benefit their own agenda. It's a loaded word with the incorrect meaning.

For me, I can summarize spirituality as follow:
    Ultimate or immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values" and meanings by which people live. Mindfulness and meditation as beneficial or even necessary for human fulfillment without accepting any supernatural interpretation or explanation intended to develop an individual's inner life; such practices often lead to an experience of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self.

I do believe that being "spiritual" allows nurturing thoughts, emotions, words and actions that are in harmony with a belief that the entire universe is, in some way, connected; even if only by some mysterious flow of cause and effect at every scale.

What do you say to this question?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

uh? Dude I am mexican. to me Spiritual is the thought of a Bean and Cheese Burrito with lots of Green Salsa and Chips on the side. That and a diet coke and I am in heaven.

• trevor
    trevor

TastingFreedom This is one of the most profound, sensible and intelligent approaches to Spirituality I have encountered.

Many of my posts attempt to explain that the lack of belief in a god does not mean a lack of belief in the underlying essence of nature and the outworking of the universe. The lack of religious belief or theism, does not automatically mean a mind that is closed or insensitive to spirituality.

Salute

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I dont believe in spirits... i drink them

• sabastious
    sabastious

Spirituality, to me, is drinking up life through a straw. Having a passion for the unknown and a yearning for truth.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    As a JW, the definition of spirituality is very limited and narrow minded. But I have realized that I'm a spiritual person even as an Agnostic. Watchtower's use of the word is completely wrong, and only used to benefit their own agenda. It's a loaded word with the incorrect meaning.

The Watchtower took the word "spirituality" and melded it with their brand. In the Watchtower world Spirituality is synonymous with one's standing within the Organization.

-Sab

• chickpea
    chickpea

hi TF

i think your description is as close i have
    seen anyone come in trying to articulate
    such an undefineable concept as spirituality

it reminds me of the Tao's declaration
    "the tao that can be told is not the
    eternal Tao"... i may not be able to
    describe it but i know it when i feel it....

absoLUTEly unlinked to religiosity

• Spade
    Spade

But a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know [them], because they are examined spiritually. However, the spiritual man examines indeed all things, but he himself is not examined by any man. For “who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?” But we do have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:14-16

Part of being spiritual minded is analyzing the Bible for evidence that the 66 Bible books comprise one book, inspired by God.

Rbi8 p. 8 Introduction

MARGINAL REFERENCES: There are more than 125,000 marginal (cross) references in this edition. These citations demonstrate that there is at least a second witness to almost every Biblical matter. A careful comparison of the marginal references and an examination of the accompanying footnotes will reveal the interlocking harmony of the 66 Bible books, proving that they comprise one book, inspired by God.

The faithful and discreet slave has always proven itself to be an analytical lens that examines all matters.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I will go a step further, chickpea, and state that organized religion runs counter to the flow of the Tao. It builds dams across its path and tries to harness its power for its own ends. But the Way keeps flowing. Over and around and through. There is no stopping it.

• sir82
    sir82

I can give you the WT definition of "spiritual"

-- Underlines some words in a book or magazine

-- Writes a number greater than or equal to "10" on a slip of paper once a month

-- Doesn't get caught getting drunk, fornicating, smoking, or anything on the "magic list" of DF offenses

-- Sits in a chair twice a week at certain specific times in a Kingdom Hall

-- Repeats approved thoughts once or twice a week in a Kingdom Hall

And voila! Every single JW who does that is viewed as "spiritual".

Do all of the above and own a penis and you will be an elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit