WT Men as Squegee Men - Is it true?

by Band on the Run 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know that since the Witnesses don't like education b/c one might learn to think, members are consigned to certain jobs. Brothers held jobs as cheap soe salesman, that type of thing. Some security without a gun. Since coming here I keep coming across references to window cleaners. Is it that dominant a job for current Witnesses? There is nothing wrong with honest work. I found it repulsive that able bodied Witnesses would collect disability benefits for which all taxpayers are charged but these crippled, mangled consumptives could be special pioneers. If it happened today, I'd pick up the phone and report them. They broke the law and should have been charged.

I say that but I knocked myself almost to death to get a college degree. It was my ticket out to a better world -sans Witnesses. Once you start social climbing and join the rat race, a Witness cannot be found for continents.

Lying is all right if it suits them. I'm sorry I know I am off-topic. My parents worked so hard. My father was very abusive but to his merit, he did heavy physical labor. They got glory for pioneering. Of course, he labored hard b/c his young years were spent at Bethel as a bodyguard to Rutherford and Knorr.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Nothing wrong with a labor intensive job. And self employment CAN be beneficial and free up your schedule to do other things. There's nothing wrong with hard work, but hard work for the sake of hard work is dumb. If you can work SMARTER and not HARDER, then you'll be better off.

• glentrevette
    glentrevette

absolutely true a circuit overseer just quit the circuit work his name is steve ward and he moved to peterborough ontario and bought a house i asked what was he was doing for work and they said he opened a window cleaning business

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

My dad had a window cleaning business which he sold to a brother; my mom and I had our own small business for about 4 years which we sold to a brother which he then sold to another brother. We had several friends that cleaned windows on the high rise buildings in the city. So yeah, I'd say it's pretty common. It's good money with a short amount of time spent. It was then, don't know how it is now.

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

In the UK window cleaner earn(as a self employed worker) about £30 per hour on domestic work, £50-£60 on commercial. It's a good job!

• sunglasses
    sunglasses

Not just window cleaning but house and office cleaning. No health ins, no life ins, no savings or retirement. At 60+ they are lucky to be able to move. Bad backs and numb limbs and maybe the additional stress of being an elder or forbid, a pioneer, they are not able to spend their golden years at all. And many have no children because they were admonished that this dying world was too treacherous to bring children into. It's not just sad, it is cruel and evil to the bone to see those who "followed the rules" literally dying with no help AT ALL from the almighty borg.

It seems that those who could take all of the "world is ending" crap with a grain of salt and stray outside the counsel of "God" to prepare for their future and their children's futures are so much better off. It is sickening. Oh and this morning, knock on our door and you will smell the aroma of coffee and bacon, we are spending our weekends doing what real people do - staying home on the weekend and having breakfast with our family. Sigh.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yes AnonJW, but those same people could have gotten a college degree, made even more and not had to do the physical labor of window cleaning. Window cleaning may work for some but frankly, there are thousands of better ways to go.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

Ive noticed that trend also.

Window cleaning

Carpet cleaning

Floor refinishing

tub resurfacing.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Window washers and office cleaning is very popular among the "friends"

I have even heard those occupations praised at assemblies as a good choice.

Growing up JW, for a while, when I was in grade school, I had to get up at 3:00 am to help my stepdad clean offices, we would usually be home in time for me to go to school, but sometimes not. If it had not been required by law, I would never have been allowed to go to school.

My JW ex was a window washer, office cleaner and carpet cleaner. As were many others in out circuit.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

In every congregation I have been in (there are many), there was a high number of the following:

Window cleaners

Carpet cleaners

Home and Office cleaners

It seems to be a trend. I have nothing against hard work, but they are working hard just so they can devote their other time to working hard for a publishing company that doesn't give two shits about them. THAT isn't working smart. I know quite a few who quit their secular jobs to open a cleaning business, only to live hand to mouth while it was being built up. It's ridiculous when they could be doing something so much more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit