Belief in the Afterlife - where do you sit on the scale?

by jgnat 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am three-quarters through the book, The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time that Will Change Your Lifeby Philip Zimbardo and John Boyd. It is taking longer than usual because I am earnestly applying the exercises as they appear in the book. Which means I have to be ready to change my habits...but enough about me.

Zimbardo's argument throughout the book is that a person's time perspective deeply impacts their choices and their ability to be happy. Constantly re-hashing a miserable past, for instance, leads to misery. One time perspective that affects people is belief in an afterlife. Belief also that present acts good and bad can affect that mysterious future outcome (heaven or hell), also impacts people's behavior.

Zimbardo calls this belief, "Transcendental-future Time Perspective". Here's a chart from this book rating belief in the afterlife to religion:

This belief can be both helpful or harmful. Harmful for instance, for suicide bombers and those around them (believing that martyrdom promises eternal reward). Zimbardo also points out that such beliefs are impossible to refute as the afterlife by definition is unknowable, un-measurable by empirical means.

Evangelical Christians, take note of Jewish disinterest. Their religion focuses more on acts here on earth, leaving questions about the afterlife...to the afterlife. Consider tailoring your presentation to a completely different worldview. I bet also that many of the "Other Religions" have a vastly different view of the afterlife to yours; believing in incarnation for instance.

I betcha Jehovah's Witneses in this survey are firmly under "Other Christian".

So where do you sit on the belief scale? Has your perpective changed as you aged? How different are your beliefs to those around you?

Zimbardo quotes Sam Harris on the futility of debating this belief, "Sam Harris says that conflicting and untestable beliefs about the transcendental future are a recipe for disaster, In The End of Faith, he writes: "Give people divergent, irreconcilable, and untestable notions about what happens after death, and then oblige them to live together with limited resources. The result is just what we see: an unending cycle of murder and cease-fire. If history reveals any categorical truth, it is that an insufficient taste for evidence regularly brings out the worst in us...""

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

I believe when were gone were gone & theres nowt else there :( - If there is its a bonus....

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for responding, sleepingbeauty. I feared that I'd misread the board yet again and my thread would be quickly buried on page 3...

You might be interested in the Law of the Iroquois (Native American belief) quoted in Zimbardo's book, "In every deliberation, we must consider the impact on the seventh generation...even if it requires having skin as thick as the bark of a pine."

Here's a belief that extends far in to the future, but not a personal eternity. Rather it asks the wise one to consider the generations to come. How differently would we live, feel, and act, with that sort of perspective?

• tec
    tec

I have always believed in an afterlife. I have varied on just what I think that afterlife IS, but I have always believed that it is there, no matter what exactly, it will be.

I do not stop living in the here and now because of this hope, but this hope does help me often, not to 'sweat the small stuff.'

Tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think you two are making the point of Zimbardo's book. Our time perspective does shape how we feel and act. For tec, the sense of a long future allows you to see daily issues as small stuff.

Sleeping Beauty, you haven't said, but does your perspective make you more interested in the here-and-now (Zimbardo calls it present-hedonistic)? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Zimbardo makes a good argument for taking time to enjoy the moment.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

-- Mark Twain

I'm in expectation of eternal nothing.

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Well the trouble with thinking we will have an afterlife is the belief that we go with the mental faculties we have today. This to me is illogical. We would suffer eternally the mental flaws inherited through our parents & there parents before them...

I cant see that were reincarnated either, so I dont hold out any hope there either ... Anyway hope is an assured expectation of the things to come !!! As theres no assurance theres no hope !!!! - God I hate that JW biblical expression !!!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I believe in the possibility of reincarnation.

I live my life aware and seek to experience as much as possible.

I am not a risk taker, however, but I do love life now and hope that what I do today will figure in somehow in my next life.

I love Philip Z!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi jgnat. I'd put my time perspective firmly within the normal human lifespan here in western Europe, around 80-90 years. And yes, I guess that does make me far more concsious of peoples immediate needs than I ever used to be when I believed in 'everlasting life'

Sounds like an interesting book you're reading.

• tec
    tec

I don't really see daily issues as small stuff... not necessarily and it depends on what issues we're talking about. I don't think I get a second chance at life, as it were, to fix my mistakes. So by small stuff, I see as unimportant stuff, I guess. (like housework not getting done )

In another sense:

Let's say my husband and I lose our house. That's a big thing, but we would survive, we have family to turn to... and its just material. Small stuff. Some people don't have a roof over their heads... we always will, even if that is just from the generosity of family.

Let's say my husband and I lose a child - not necessarily to death, but to bad choices, drugs, etc. That's not small stuff. The way I teach and the example I set, even the small things in daily life, are big in this instance. However, I will concede that I consider life a journey, and as long as a child returned from whatever bad choices in the end, I would consider that the most important thing. Because this life is not the end. So I guess I can see what you're saying, and what the author is saying as well.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit