My article on Russia's ban of JW's

by honorsthesis 40 Replies latest social current

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

THE PART IS THE WTS IS A CONTRACTOR FOR WAR MISSILES UNDER REGI TECK WITH U.S. gov't NAVY TO make motors that direct smart Bombs , i unerstand the WTS HAS HAD AT LEAST 14 CONTRACTS WITH THE UNITED STATES MILITRARY

• Podobear
    Podobear

JunkYarddog: Thought my question was quite simple really...

Which combats would Jesus wear if he walked this Earth today?

My question arises from one of the more positive attributes of JW's in ALL nations. Neutrality is also one of the reasons for banning the JW's in Russia and many of the newly separated Caucasian states.

Any chance of a calm and reasoned repy JunkYarddog?

Please don't tell me Jesus would be dressed as an American G.I.!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I think there is a slight problem with English usage here which aggravates misunderstanding. "Which combats would Jesus wear if he walked this Earth today" makes no sense to me. I'm not sure whether you mean which nation' s uniform would Jesus wear. I think he would wear an Israeli uniform. Jesus was very much tied to his culture. He died a Jew. Ceasar to Caesar, God to God is food for thought. It is unclear. Wars were raging all the time, then as now. He was not a Quaker. Yet he did say blessed are the peacemakers. American presidents assert they are peacemakers.

Combats might mean war. Only you mention wearing. I am not a native French speaker. Despite many years of study, I translate it literally. I don't know idiomatic expressions. Sounds like Babel, again. I'm not saying you are wrong. There is confusion over the phrasing.

• honorsthesis
    honorsthesis

I understand that the "slippery slope theory" is indeed a logical fallacy. But that is immaterial. When dealing with social actors with imperfect information and illogical emotions and passions, their actions can often not be explained by reason or logic.

It was not logical for the Wehrmacht to continue to push into Russia in 1941. Many decisions in history have been made outside the paradigm of logic. When assessing what governments will, or will not do, is not confined to strictly logical analysis.

I think DT and others made an excellent point. If you want to diminsh the influence or population of JW's in your country, best to do it with financial policies. Going for the throat, and simply outright banishing them makes the Witnesses martyrs and only reinvogorates the movement.

The best strategy is to allow the WT organization in Russia to eliminate itself. It may take time, and is a slower process, but it will reap greater and more permanent benefits from the Russian government's perspective.

Of course, I do not condone the above policy perscriptions. I am simply agreeing with DT that IF the Russian government really wanted to secure a future absent Jehovah's Witnesses...the above financial chokehold would be the best way to do it...IMO.

@BAND

I do not see how I have "bragged" about my work. I agree, publishing on the internet invites criticism. But as a long-standing Jehovah's Witness, I have first hand experience of what it feels like to have a lording authority suppress all and any criticism. It is not healthy. Criticism is how any subject grows.

I have appreciated everyone's comments. I posted the article to gain everyone's insights, not to seek unwarranted praise. As a student, I strive to continually become a better writer, researcher, and analyzer in all aspects.

I hope a lively discussion will continue to blossom.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Perhaps we got off to a rocky start. You do come across, perhaps unintentional, of correcting other's person's view. The fallacy of slippery slope is an example. Perhaps I am sensitive having been raised female in the Witness. And perhaps you don't appreciate your tone all the time. It must be hard to post here, at Cornell and do school work, esp. a senior thesis.

I particularly object to JW men deciding they have the power to legitimize my work. How anyone can read as extensively as you do and still be active in the Witnesses is beyond the scope of my imagination. If my life has any meaning, though, it is your choice to make. Not mine.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Band on the Run: My apologies..we are divided by the same language. It was that little squabble we had back in1776, when America corrupted our pure English language into the drawl that it speaks today (*joking*)

I simply asked JunkdogYard, which (Army) combats Jesus would wear today to raise the point of Christian (note) Neutrality in war, or not.

I seem to recall a Nazarene (viewed as local Terrorists at the time), restoring the ear of a soldier, which had been lopped off by his best mate... Peter.

Perhaps I should rephrase the questin for JYD...

Which army, if any, would Jesus have fought alongside in the first century?

And, JYD, by extension, do you deride Early Christians for allowing their families to be run throught in the Arenas, because of that Neutrality?

Your answer to me was BULLSHIT in its own right!

Are you writing from a Christian perspective or as a man of this ungodly world?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't think this world is ungodly. In fact, the Bible says God is the creator of this world. Of course, most of the world differs from that view. How could God create a vile, ungodly place? God also is said to have created humans in his image. All this creative energy and wonder beyond our comprehension was negated by the Fall, when a weak man was duped by his wife to want Knowledge. The two ideas don't balance each other.

Gnostics believe creation is bad and traps us in physicality. OUr true spirit resides elsewhere and secret knowledge can free our spirit. So the Witnesses may be a heretical form of Christianity. Not everyone shares your world view.

• Podobear
    Podobear

Indeed not..Band on the Run: We collect here for Help For Heroes. Many fight because they see the justice of the battle. However,I personally remain opposed to the current warfare in Iraq/Afghanistan.. that is my opinion.

The immorality of certain War and the greed that rules the economic infracture of the world, proceeds from ungodly people.

My view is only jaundiced by what I see in the press and see/hear in broadcasts. The millions that starve because I benefit from their slavery.

That is ungodly.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

honorsthesis,

...The best strategy is to allow the WT organization in Russia to eliminate itself

• Podobear
    Podobear

Apathy is the WT greatest threat... It needs individuals like JunkDogYard to sustain its growth. Persecution is the Opium of the WT. And JYD's reasoning falls straight into their arms. Well done JYD... obviously you have never experienced life inside the WT circle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit