61% of Americans OPPOSE Limiting Union Bargaining Power

by blondie 45 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Why on earth do you need to pay into your own retirement plan? Why do you pay for a part of your own insurance? Why do you have to negotiate your pay? It's because you do not have a union.

Do you realize what you just posted??? - i.e. - the purpose of a union is so that someone else can pay for your responsibilities?

• Robdar
    Robdar

So, it's okay that corporations can make money hand over fist and on the backs of their workers? But the employee that helps their employer become so very comfortable is considered lazy and no good if they want a piece of the pie?

I dont understand who this someone else is and what responsiblies this someone else is paying for. It seems your whole argument is a non sequitur.

• james_woods
    james_woods

So, it's okay that corporations can make money hand over fist and on the backs of their workers?

There are more government workers in unions than there are in the private sector. The "someone else" for them is the taxpayer.

• Robdar
    Robdar

And the tax payers are enjoying the fruits of the government workers' labor. What? They shouldn't have to pay for that?

My husband addressed this issue in Sammie's thread. Why don't you wander over there and respond? If you want to find out what it's like not to have a government, move to Ecuador.

• VIII
    VIII

Hi Robdar,

Tax Dollars. Our tax dollars allow politicians, who want to stay in power, to *negotiate* contracts. The politicians are only giving the union bosses what *they* want. Union assured votes for said politian. It has been a never ending cycle. Seemingly.

I have been in two separate unions. I know how hard it is to fire a union member. It is almost impossible. One was stealing from the compnay. I had him on camera. For months I monitored and documented his actions. I was not his supervisor, just a worker. I was also the union rep which put me in a bind. They (The union guys) wanted me to lie and destroy the film. I wouldn't and was really put into a tough situation. In the end, it took over 3 months, with him being on paid leave, for the investigation and union reps to come in etc. He was fired with full pension. He had been there for 15 years. In the private sector he would have been out the door and perhaps prosecuted. He stole over $15,000 worth of product and customers.

It is even harder to fire a teacher or cop who has union reps. I could find stories, but, why bother? No one here wants to believe it.

My attitude is not "I don't have it why should they", my attitude is "I'm a taxpayer and our state is broke". They are employees of the state and the state, as their employer can no longer afford the ridiculous terms that were negotiated by the previous crooks in office. Between pay and benefits, those state and local workers are suitable for WalMart. Maybe. They are lucky the Neotism system has worked so far. Most of them are lazy and not at all happy to help you when you go to their place of work. They don't give you proper information and they don't do their jobs well. Again, in the private sector, they would be immediately fired and a new person put in their place who would try harder and be happy.

Are all WalMart workers happy? No. Are Target workers? Mostly. I haven't had a negative experience at Target. I have at WalMart.

I just want them to paid realistically. Like the rest of America is. Having the local taxpayer fund their pension fund and pay 100% for their insurance is crazy!! The local governments simply cannot afford it.

• designs
    designs

Interesting to see the pendulum swing. I remember how hard Chavez and the Farm Workers Union fought for decent living conditions and wages.

How the farm workers were housed by God Loving Church Going 'Christians' in the Central Valley of California would make anyone weep.

• Judge Dread
  • Robdar
    Robdar

Hi VIII

I wanted to respond to your post (which presented sound arguments) but have had several things pop up and I have to sign off for now. I just wanted you to know I am not ignoring you. Have a good day, friend.

Robyn

• VIII
    VIII

Understand. Take care!!

• whereami
    whereami

We should all be thanking Wisconsin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xENhbFnfM8w

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit