Does faith even exist?

by poor places 16 Replies latest jw friends

• poor places
    poor places

In my late teens and very early twenties, I was active in JW activities (heaps of service time, MS, etc.) To most people who knew me, I'm sure I appeared to be a full believer, but with hindsight, my faith was spotty. I had all of the usual and fairly obvious questions about the organization buried in my mind. At times, these questions would surface, and for the most part, I'd suppress or rationalize them, although they always lingered in some part of my mind (I guess that these contradictory thoughts are what so many commenters on this site call "cognitive dissonance"). And so I carried on with the unceasing stream of JW activities, partially believing, always trying to believe more strongly, always conflicted, and as a result, dissatisfied with the work I was doing.

Because of my experiences, I wonder at the people in the Kingdom Hall who appear to believe 100% I wonder how strong their faith really is. I'm now fairly certain that even the most ardent believer has at least some doubt. And I wonder about these apparently strong believers. If they have even a tiny doubt, do they have any faith at all? To me, there are only two categories: certainty and uncertainty. If I'm certain that gravity exists, I have no doubts. But if someone offers evidence that gravity might not exist, I will probably be uncertain about the theory, until I investigate the issue further and come to a definite conclusion. I feel that it's the same with beliefs about God and the JW organization. You are either certain or you are uncertain, and I'd be surprised if anyone but a lunatic or a mentally handicapped person had no uncertainty about these subjects.

What do you folks think about this? Does faith even exist? If a person has doubts, can it be said that they have faith?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was a true believer. I knew for certain that Jehovah was listening to my prayers and answering me. (I was wrong.)

• poor places
    poor places

Ok, but were you certain about everything you were taught about God and the JW organization? Because if you had even one doubt, wouldn't that cast doubt on everything else?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Up until the moment that I snapped -- twenty-three years into loyal service -- I was certain. I would have died for it and I would have refused blood for me or my children. Thought Reform is real and it works.

• poor places
    poor places

That's a surprise to me, but I'll certainly take your word for it. Looking back, I'm surprised I wasn't as certain as you were. My upbringing was about as strict as it gets, and I don't even know where my doubts came from.

• tec
    tec

Faith exists. But we tend to call people who have unwavering faith deluded or crazy. And then we can say that those people 'don't count'.

Most people, I agree, experience doubts - and this might mean weak faith, rather than no faith. But either way, this does not mean they cannot remain faithful to Christ and God. They can also always ask for more faith, and keep asking, and trust that it will be granted them.

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I converted when I was 10, so I had some investment in it. I gave up holidays, friends, relatives and my way of life to join the JWs. I wasn't born into it. It was serious business. I went to Bethel, etc.

• poor places
    poor places

Leaving WT,

I sometimes wonder if people who are born into the religion are more susceptible to doubt. In my experience, those who come in later in life seem to have that extra zeal. Even coming in at ten, like you, would probably make a difference, since you had to give things up, like you mentioned.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Does faith even exist

Of course it does, it but its mostly created out of fear and ignorance, entwined with human emotion in a learned social behavioral pattern.

• cofty
    cofty

I was brought up in it and had no doubts until I was in my mid thirties.

As soon as I had doubts I investigate them and left. I don't do pretend, its either totally true or its nonsense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit