Jehovah's Witnesses - Once Again the Fastest Growing Faith in the U.S.

by davidl7 99 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Taking the 1.7% increase figure instead of 4.37% Jehovah's Witnesses are still the second fastest growing religious group in the list after the Adventists.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

How do they measure that increase? Baptisism I assume?

Is one a JW if they are NOT baptized?

• superpunk
    superpunk

Looks like irrefutable evidence of Jehovah's blessing to me.

• White Dove
    White Dove

In the rumor based inside my head, I found that paganism and Islam are the fastest growing religions/paths in the U.S.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Slimboyfat- thanks for the clarifications.

The figures published in the yearbooks are the only official figures for how many jws there are. Outside sources always give a HIGHER figure. The WT society uses CONSERVATIVE figures.

Only publishers are counted- if you don't turn in a fs report you are NOT counted.

Inactive, DAd and DFd persons are NOT counted.

Increase is counted based on the AVERAGE pubs compared to prior years AVERAGE pubs.

Baptism figures are counted in the pub figs and can not be used seperatly - all newly baptized ones are ALREADY INCLUDED in both the peak and AV pub figures.

Children must be able to give a presentation at the door BY THEMSELVES (speaking on their own that is, not by themselves at the door!) in order to report as a publisher.

Churches count membership very losely. WTS ONLY counts publishers who hand in field service reports.

By comparing the figures the wts provides for the number of witnesses compared to the figure provided by outside sources we can see the wts does not inflate the figures as they are LOWER than the figures provided by outside sources.

The number of jws as a total worldwide keeps increasing.

Regardless of how high the numbers may become it does not validate false teachings.

One cannot get baptized unless they are a regular publisher and must have been one for at least six months prior to baptism. About 25% of publishers are not yet baptized.

• villabolo
    villabolo

DagothUr: "Their main quarters is in US, but their increase is not! They are increasing in numbers in less developed countries."

The more miserable people are, the more they are attracted to apocalyptic religions like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Based on that, I expect that their numbers will start increasing in the United States a decade or so from now due to impoverished socioeconomic conditions that I foresee.

The only thing that could counteract their growth would be what I call the saturation effect. For every active member there must be several inactive ones. If they were to increase in numbers, say to 10% of the US population, there could easily be an astonishing 30%+ percentage of the population who were former Witnesses. A sizeable portion of them would be disfellowshipped.

I live in a large apartment complex, of over 100 units, where about 80%+ are or were at one time JWs. I calculate that about 15% are disfellowshipped, the result of the average tenancy here being about 25 years. Quite a few of those are never going back. At a !% disfellowshipping rate per year, even taking into account those who return, you can figure out how many non returning JWs will accumulate in a lifetime.

Those ex-JWs who accumulate in the general population would provide a counter weight against further JW growth.

Villabolo

• minimus
    minimus

Jehovah God is blessing His people, obviously.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Hawaii is not included in the US figures as the service year ended August 31,2010 and the Hawaii Branch did not come into the US branch until Sept- so the report for 2011 SY (in the 2012 YB) will be the first one to have all 50 states included together in the US report and yes, the society does adjust the previous years figure for carefull comparison. So the US ave pub figure which for 2010 sy includes 49 states, will in the 2012 yb report (for 2011) include all 50- Hawaii's 2010 figure will be included in it!

Compare the older ybs when the Soviet Union broke up into 15 seperate lands!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The more miserable people are, the more they are attracted to apocalyptic religions like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

The more unstable the country the more religious its people are full stop as this book argues in some detail:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sacred-Secular-Religion-Worldwide-Cambridge/dp/0521548721/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297893378&sr=8-1

If worldwide instability increases then the decline in religion worldwide may falter.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Slimboyfat, unfortunately, your link to Amazon only shows pricing in British currency. The following link is for US dollars:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sacred+and+Secular%3A+Religion+and+Politics+Worldwide&x=15&y=18

Villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit