How were Rutherford's Cadillacs purchased?

by InterestedOne 72 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I mentioned Rutherford's Cadillacs to my study conductor, and he said maybe Rutherford was able to purchase them because he was independently wealthy. Were they purchased from his own personal wealth or with the WT funds?

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

A Cadillac is nothing, the real question is where did they get the dough to make beth sarim and shan.

• alanv
    alanv

There seems to be proof that the houses were donated to him from a rich friend. Maybe the same was true about the cars.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If I remember correctly the Caddies (2 8 or 16-cylinder fancy jobs) were donations but can't find the article

see http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/180518/1/Judge-Rutherford-Cadillac

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

as to the houses - a small piece of land was donated. 100 acres around that land was bought presumably by the WTS and that 100 acres included land across the canyon where Beth Shan was later built

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

When I was about 12 years old, I was told by my "congregation servant" that the cars were gifts from a "Brother Parkhurst" who was a real estate agent or car dealer in New Jersey. Since then, I've heard that another wealthy JW in Washington DC provided Rutherford and Knorr with cars.His name was Anton Koerber. He was rewarded with an appointment as a circuit overseer. Later, I believe, he had an unpleasant run-in with Knorr that led to his being stripped of "privileges." I remember thinking that his speaking voice was extremely annoying. His life story is in the May 15, 1968 issue of the Watchtower.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is best not to bring up any subject that will see as nit picking.

They believe that they were selected by God to do a job, so if Rutherford had a Caddy, it makes no difference where the money came from, God, in effect, supplied it, just as he provides the meal on the table they thank him for. Never mind that God didn't do anything to grow, harvest, transport, or cook, the food.

• VM44
    VM44

I long ago read somewhere that Judge Rutherford had an air conditioner in his Brooklyn office that was received as a gift.

Everyone else at the Brooklyn office had to put up with the heat.

How did Rutherford feel about enjoying the comforts of air conditioning while others nearby had to endure?

Probably didn't bother him at all.

• VM44
    VM44

Judge Rutherfod liked to receive and enjoy expensive gifts from others!

Let make a list!

1) Two Cadillacs

2) Air Conditioning for his office

3) Beth Sarim, a large house on 100 acres of property.

And there are probably many others that we don't know about!

• TD
    TD

I count at least three different Cadillacs in the period literature betwee 1928 and 1931 These vehicles cost 10 to 12 times what the average vehicle at the time cost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit