Hypocrisy 101 - Watchtower has Payed for College/College Courses for Bethelites!

by Crisis of Conscience 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

No you did not read the title wrong. I was out to eat this weekend with two Bethelites. One gave a talk in my hall and I was invited out to dinner with them by another family in my hall.

As the conversation always turns to "spiritual" things, the subject of education was brought up. One of the Bethelites in specific was bashing higher education. He is a servant in his hall but is pro-WTS for sure. He was talking about how bad higher education is. And just to give an example, he spoke about how Bethel has paid for a Bethelites education, specifically legal was mentioned.

It was a small group of us talking and I wasn't sitting next to him. So I didn't catch all the details.

What I didn't clarify was for how many Bethelites this was done for or if they went to college directly or where they received this college education. But I know what I heard because he said it more than once. And he kept saying that it's obvious highter education is so bad because some of these brothers even left the "truth" despite having the privilege to serve at Bethel!

So apparently Bethel had to put the squash on this. He mentioned that they were offering such things to those who proved to be faithful in their service, whatever that means. Again I have no specific time that he was referring to. He does not work in legal. But it seemed he was talking to a Bethel heavy.

I will see this brother again and I will attempt to clarify those things.

In the meanwhile, am I the first to hear this? I never heard of it while I served there. Can anyone else confirm? I appreciate the input, and am sure others will too.

CoC

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Well how else are they supposed to get big fancy lawyers to protect them from all their lawsuits?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ MrFreeze That was the defense given, not in that way of course.

Supposedly, some of the witness lawyers called from the outside consider themselves bigshots, as if they are above Bethel rules. The example he gave regarding this is that single Bethelites are required to be at Bethel at least a year before they consider trying to bring in a mate. Some of these hotshots attempt to get married and bring in a mate before that because they figure Bethel won't tell them no since a lawyer is a specialized skill. Witness lawyers don't seem to be a dime a dozen, readily available.

So now instead they have decided to appoint "understudies", so to speak. Faithful bethelites who will work under the lawyers and learn the ways until they can perhaps qualify in some way or basically do most of the work. And I'm guessing they don't offer further education so that the "faithful" brother won't wake up!

CoC

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

CofC,

I don't know the numbers, but I do know the society has paid for college for some Bethelites.

I can also tell you that Judah Ben Schroeder who is the son of deceased GB member Albert Schroeder went to college. I think Judah Ben Schroeder pretty much grew up at Bethel since his dad was a member of the GB for many years. I don't know who paid for it. I suppose Albert Schroeder could have been affluent enough to pay for it himself, or perhaps Judah Ben Schroeder paid for it himself. I don not know. I do know that when I visited the congregation that they each attended one time in 1995, the brother I was with told me that he was a college graduate and I thought it was the height of hypocrisy, but, like we all used to do, I just squashed it and put it in the back of my mind and thought it didn't matter.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ drewcoul Thank you for that. It's just so amazing and so hypocritical!!

This weekend I spent some time with JW relatives. They were also talking about education and how the GB has been warning us for years to stay away from higher education. I wanted so bad to say WHAT I HEARD directly FROM that BETHELITE. But I had to bite my tongue. I have to choose my battles. Alas, I was outnumbered!

If they only knew.

CoC

• inbetween
    inbetween

coule of years ago, I was introduced to a young sister. She was a pioneer, and she calimed, she studies Law for the society. It was not clear whether the society paid for it or not (she comes from a wealthy family), but it was clear, that it was approved, even desired.

However, later on it was too much for her, so she quit studying, but still is pioneering.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

i know one of the Brady boys (Shane) from pincher creek/ waterton area was sent to school to become a WT lawyer. You can google him. It is common Knowledge that the WT paid for his education.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Shane Brady

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ 3dogs1husband - I was completely unaware of that! Thanks. And he can definitely be found online. Very interesting.

CoC

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower sent a Bethelite to college to study engineering.

I forgot his name, perhaps someone here knows who it was?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit