Watchtower contradicts the Bible on HELL

by brotherdan 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

In the public edition of the April 1 WT, the questions from readers twists scriptures, meanings, and language to come to the conclusion that Hell is not a place.

Whether you believe in Hell or not, you have to agree that their methods of arguing this point are dishonest. Note this quote:

"Jesus knew that the very thought of burning
    people alive is repugnant to his heavenly Father,
    Jehovah. Referring to the use made of Gehenna
    in the days of the prophet Jeremiah,
    God said: “They have built the high places of
    Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of
    Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their
    daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not
    commanded and that had not come up into
    my heart.” (Jeremiah 7:31)

Here they contradict the Bible. God is not against burning wicked people alive. Note Genesis 19:23-28: 23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the LORD. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.

In fact, note this picture from their own Bible Story publication:

and this one from the Bible teach book. Look at all the people being destroyed by fire:

The fact is, if you want to argue a point, then you have to be intellectually honest. They don't know how to get their point across without lying.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It all depends on whether or not the "burning alive" it ETERNAL, or until DEATH, which would happen rather quickly, if one is being burned with any skill.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I don't know. Have you ever seen someone burn to death? It's actually not that quick. Plus, read their "support" scripture in Jeremiah. Those people were burning people as well and the Watchtower said that was equal to what people accuse God of doing.

• sir82
    sir82

I think you'll have a hard time selling "God tortures people forever with fire" on this forum.

Just sayin'.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Actually I'm not even arguing hell here. I'm arguing that they cannot just stick to the facts. If they say it is repugnant for God to burn someone with fire just like the pagans did in Jeremiah's day, then they have to back up that statement. But the fact is, they believe that people will be burned with fire at Armageddon, and that God destroyed people with fire in the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

They are resorting to a dishonest statement to try and prove their point. Jesus KNEW God was willing to destory people with fire.

• sir82
    sir82

Ah got it.

Yes that is an interesting point

• undercover
    undercover
    Watchtower contradicts the Bible on HELL

I think you meant to say: Watchtower contradicts the hell out of the bible

• cantleave
    cantleave

The bible contradicts itself on so many occasions, the watchtower hardly needs to aid the process.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I noticed years ago that WT doesn't have a unified basis for what it teaches. Sometimes it seemed that the people writing the articles didn't have a clue what others had (recently) written.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, but cantleave, if they are going to claim to uphold the Bible then they can't contradict it. Especially in something that they KNOW to be false. They've used the "God thinks its horrible to burn peopel with fire" argument for as long as I can remember. But there are many instances where he has killed people with fire. There were times with the Israellites where he did it then too.

Plus, they play loose and free with the language and meaning of "Gehenna" and twist Jesus words in the Bible.

This thread was meant to not be just for Christians but to show the dishonesty of the WT even today to the religious and non-religious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit