New Light

by Spade 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I don't have a problem with "new light". It is only natual for any religion to change and develop. Like most people what I have a problem with is not being able to disagree with the spoon fed crap that inevitably changes once they realise it was wrong. Being disfellowshiped because you think that the flood was probably only localised, and not global? Or being disfellowshiped because perhaps 144,000 was symbolic and not literal? Being disfellowshiped because you don't agree that 10 blokes in Brooklyn are Gods only channel. Please!! It's a joke.

• garyneal
    garyneal

The most telling sign I see is that no Jehovah's Witness has a thought of their own on the matter. They always go back to the WT literature for everything. Whether it is our little trolls apologists cutting and pasting WT material or your witness in person heading straight for the reasoning books and other WT literature. No thoughts of their own.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    You were Looking for Someplace to Cut and Paste?..
    You just Randomly Cut and Paste..

She was doing the same on her home town forum before she found this one. Got about the same amount of respect too.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Spade:

If Jesus returned on Oct. 2, 1914, and WW1 was proof for this, and was caused by Jesus casting Satan out of Heaven.........Why did WW1 start in August and not after Oct. 2?

Please answer this question.

• TD
    TD

Spade,

Everything is clearly put forth here;

No.

Proclaimers is better than past attempts, but it has some serious problems. I'll start a topic on it.

Do they have to provide a detailed commentary every time they make a statement about 1914?

Of course not. You can be succinct and still be honest.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Alice:

I'm here because the forum came up on the search engine Google when I typed, "Jehovah's Witness forum." Try it: it was hit #1. The forum didn't appear to be an exclusive social club with membership requirements other than the Posting Guidelines.

LOL

You're here because all your other user id's have been banned. Nice try, though.

I wonder if you are even capable of telling the truth?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    So in one breath the WTS claims that their information doesn't come from man, but from God, but then they say they aren't inspired. Yet Witnesses are to follow what they say as if the information is inspired because if they don't then they are guilty of Apostasy. Apostasy from whom? From a non-inspired group of men?

I've never seen a JW or JW apologist address this issue. I don't expect that to change now. The elders who came to my house to get me to come back to the Kingdom Hall certainly couldn't.

So how about it Spade/Alice? Is the WTS inspired or isn't it? If it is inspired then why the constand need for correction, er, sorry, new light? If not, then on what basis or authority do they disfellowhip people for apostasy? I will await your copy-and-paste rebuttal.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The whole concept of "new light" is that it continues to clarify and enlighten; in other words, closer to the "truth". If someone reversed their position, it is not "new light". It is a new tack. Hence the worn Watchtower analogy of a boat tacking against the wind, each reversal bringing the ship closer to its destination. flooflah.

Recently (JW) hubby's congregation friends wondered aloud if I would soon be brought to the "Truth". When he related this desire, I went on my rant, "Truth exists. You can't put it in a box, tie it with a bow, and declare that you are the exclusive owner of the truth. I don't need an organization to know what is true and what is not." Hubby laughed and asked if I would repeat that to his brothers and sisters. I swear he relishes the thought of fireworks.

I have a problem with an organization that claims that they are the exclusive holders of the truth. If imperfect, they claim that they are at least the closest to the truth in the whole earth. Such presumption. Why would a just God, creator of all of us, make truth so hard to discern? Is it not as obvious as a beautiful sunrise, the sprouting of new life (Acts 17:24, Psalm 19, Romans 10:18)? Such exclusivity is ugly when an organization declares only members in good standing are to receive the benefits of the truth, and everyone outside is toast. Indeed, when I try and have an honest conversation with a Witness, I am given a tolerant stare reserved for the certifiably insane. Why should they take my words seriously when by their own beliefs, my thoughts are irredemably tainted by the evil one (untruth)?

The latest "new light" published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society was an embedded article regarding the location of the throne of God and the great crowd in Revelation 7:9. This is a problem for Watchtower theology because how can the great crowd, inheritors of the earth, worship in heaven? Other relligious organizations don't fuss over this apparent discrepancy because they haven't gone down the false path of different classes of Christians with different "hopes".

I would characterize the "new light" from the WTBTS in the past 150 years as their own form of Talmud, an increasingly fastidious interpretation and reinterpretation of sacred texts.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Why do we even continue to humor threads like this? Once you get what's really going on, the contradictions are easy to find.

I remember telling the elders that Proverbs 4:18 was being taken out of context. They had no rebuttal, save to turn to another scripture--which was also taken out of context. They reasoned that it was absurd to expect the Society to be able to say, open up the Red Sea, in order for us to regard them as "God's channel of communication". Well, why would it be unreasonable? The Society claims in the Revelation book that they're doing the works of Moses and Elijah. They repeatedly compare themselves to the apostles and prophets, all without having any of the qualifying credentials to do so. So why not?

Ultimately, it boils down to faith without any evidence at all, or worse, faith IN SPITE OF GROSSLY CONTRADICTORY EVIDENCE. The Society has provided every reason for people not to believe they have some special connection with God. Revelation 14:5 says regarding the 144,000 that "no falsehood was found in their mouths." The facts show that this is not something the Society can claim about themselves. So, really, they've disqualified themselves from even their own brand of anointing.

New light: cheese pizza, then cheese pizza with pepperoni, then cheese pizza with pepperoni and sausage.

Fake new light: cheese pizza, then turkey, then hamburger, then bacon. Then cheese pizza again.

--sd-7

• TD
    TD
    I remember telling the elders that Proverbs 4:18 was being taken out of context. They had no rebuttal, save to turn to another scripture--which was also taken out of context.

Yes!

One of the most maddening things about talking with a true believer is that one scriptural interpretation supports another, which is in turn supported by another, etc. until you've come full circle with a structure that never actually touches the ground at any point.

--And then they get huffy when you point out that the wheels must touch the pavement at some point --else the entire JW belief system is one large faith-based proposition and the idea that people are judged based upon whether they accept it or not is unreasonable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit