Hi there Island Woman

by Julie 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Tina:

How convenient of you to dismiss all of Julies salient points by simply dismissing them as, she never was a JW, so couldn't possibly have a good understanding. ... .blah blah'.
    I never said that none of her point were valid. IslandWoman made the point that since Julie was never a JW, she cannot "Fully" understand. Just as those never in a concentration camp cannot "fully" understand what such victims went through. You seem to evade the context of my statements.

That makes about as much sense as somebody saying your cardiologist can't understand his heart patients unless he's had a heart attack lol."
    Yes. A cardiologist who has never had a heart attack or heart disease cannot "Fully" understand.

Quite the facile and weasely one aren't you? lololol But we know where you learned that technique.
    Ahhhh ... Tina's finest ... lay out the sarcasm and character attacks.

Sorry, As you crow and kiss ass of so-called objectivity, of which I saw little of. Fact is, some of us see what we see, all the excusogetics as to why it 'seemed' that way doesn't erase it. Ego admiration needs are easily spotted, don't have to have a cult background to see these. Just an awareness of them.
    I am not crowing. I am giving credit where credit is due. Ginny can make statements wihtout being offensive. On the otherhand, some are so obnoxious that any good points they might have are layered over.

Nothing has or will change my mind that you have certain ego needs once addressed by your position in the WTS, that show thru here loud and clear.
    Really? How so? Yes, Tine the Mother of Wisdom now decends to do a Psych evelaution of Amazing. get off of your high horse, and coma back to earth.

As for all who wrote you, that was very nice I'm sure. Too bad your sense of self seems to need that to feel 'right' about yourself and much of what you write, and how it is presented. Ever consider what those who didn't write you may think?
    Tina, it is obvious that no one can be liked 100% of the time by 100% of the people. I do not post here to win a political contest, or to gain admirers or followers. I post here for the purposes I stated - Lurkers. If it is useful them, then great. If not, they can move on to those posts that are useful to them. It is the contributions of many that help those searching.

You have this nack of making claims ... but fail to back them up. You go after my character, but fail to cite a single case where I stated things in accordance with your claims. If you have a specific beef, then quote and cote what it is I have stated, and we will go from there. If I have a problem ... hey, I am not above apology and resolution. Until you can do that, there is no way I can address empty allegations.

A secure individual doesn't need a cheering section. They will be comfortable with themselves, ideas . They will plod along w/o the ego massages to express individual thought.
    I agree. That is why I plod along, making posts that I feel are helpful ... sometimes it starts a long sets of discussions, and sometimes few responses. So what? Were I not secure, I would not be here.

This is all I have to say. You presented your opinion. I present mine. I find it a waste of time to argue such shenannigans like yours. Have a good day/life.
    No argument from me. I take pleasure in the idea that you will move on ... and rightly so, because you cannot back up your sarcasm, arrogant allegations, and snide claims. If you could, you would. So you conveniently slip off in feigned disgust because you don't want to waste your precious time. Yep. You are full of hot air, and no substance ... for if you really didn't want to spoend time posting me, you would not have made the above post.

Tina, finding bloated egos continually boring and loathesome. Now waiting for the ex elder homies to jump in lol. Still a good old boys club at times here.
    Tine, who judges people she does not know because she can't see past her own inflated self-righteousness ... Tina who makes senseless claims buy cannot back them up ... Tina who just wants to dump shit, but not see her own messy backside.

Tina's Line: Todays Affirmation: The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
    Yep, your incredible lack of evidence to back up your claims does speak to a fly in the ointment ... your own.
  • Julie
    Julie

Greetings to all,

Ginny, you have my private response.

Amazing,

I don't want to play the long exchange game with you. I wasn't saying you are the only person who needs growth but I seem to recall someone (you) recently calming to have grown and a wish to continue to do so etc. I was basically agreeing with you on what you have claimed to be goals for yourself.

I don't consider myself to be better than anyone else and I didn't clash egos with you anywhere along the way. I thought your actions after Amnesian's initial rebuttal post were poor, said so and explained why. Where does my ego come into play here? By commenting on a discussion board? By pointing out your lackluster response when called out in serious fashion?

As to the second chance thing that *so* offended you Amazing, yes a second chance. It got to the point where my opinion of you sunk very low. When I found out that you and Ginny were e-mailing while she was writing "objective" things in your defense I couldn't help but doubt the degree of "objectivity" we are talking here.

It became apparent that there were many here who had apparently been long harboring some feelings of ill will toward you anyway, unless you have some other logical explanation for the outpouring of intense response to Amnesian's post.

*I* was making the statement that I wanted to put my old opinion of you aside and was urging others (who may have needed a little urging) to do the same. Was hoping that indeed all your lofty talk of growth and consideration of the thoughts of others was sincere. What a chump I was, as is made clear here by your reply to me.

As to my issues I take up with Island Woman, you show you know little of what you speak of Amazing, mankind and it's behaviors are basically unchanged for millenia, have a look at some history, you'll see. Besides, I thought you weren't out to hijack this thread.....Yes, you were an elder and obviously have a unique, insightful perspective of the patriarchal sort of organization (as you have clearly demonstrated time and again)...big deal....do you think you were in the only situation where a man was considered or acted superior??? Does Island Woman think JWs are the only people to know oppression and the life of being constantly hood-winked?

I have known psychological abuse equal to that of a control group and have known physical abuse as a child. Was raised in the RCC (ever see a woman priest?) and came to realize that which I held so dear (my religious beliefs) was nothing but myth. Sound familiar?

Yeah, it sounds like practically every other story on this forum, only difference is I didn't waste half my life schlepping mags for the corp. Perhaps my twenty years in retail and foot injuries to show for it can gain me some equal footing there.....

Now why don't you go and answer some of the many questions that *were* directed to YOU Amazing if you have so much time on your hands, instead of wasting time proving that those who had figured you to be a pompous windbag to be right, (again)?

Julie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

It is with our judgments as with our watches: no two go alike, yet each believes his own. - Alexander Pope

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Julie,

When I found out that you and Ginny were e-mailing while she was writing "objective" things in your defense I couldn't help but doubt the degree of "objectivity" we are talking here.
    I handled the situation as conscientiously as I could. My e-mail and telephone communication with you and Tina long preceded my first private communication with Amazing. I first wrote him privately after he posted his farewell. He wrote back to thank me for the kind words. When several days later he wrote me about issues raised in the threads related to elder culpability, I told him that I was also in communication with you, and told you that I was also in communication with Amazing.

It was an awkward situation, and I felt obliged to be honest with both of you about my position.

Ginny

• Julie
    Julie

I commend your efforts at honesty here Ginny and in the whole debacle. I too have tried to strive for honesty in all of my observations and comments.

I had to be honest about how questionable I found your "objectivity" to be once I learned you were in friendly communication with Amazing. Sorry but I'd like to think that would be a red flag to anyone.

I've no gripe with you but I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that Amazing was more than willing to exploit the kind tendencies you showed him. Sorry if this offends anyone it is my *honest* opinion. That is what is behind that whole ROFL comment that got things going some threads back.

Anyhow, really I'd like to hear from Island Woman, she made the comments, let her answer for them. I know I sure as hell don't want anyone speaking for me or answering for my words, perhaps she has similar standards.....

Regards,
    Julie

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

It pains me to see so many posters whom I deeply respect and cherish arguing amoungst themselves.

I have not read many of the previous threads on whether or not Julie can relate to JW issues and whether or not she should have a right to criticize JWs. But, I'll stick my neck out and comment anyway. And as usual, I will be blunt.

I take Julie's side on that one. Saying that Julie cannot criticise JWs because she cannot "really" understand is hogwash. That is like saying I cannot criticise concentration camps because I have never been in one.

Julie is intelligent and very acquainted with abuse. Time and time again, she has shown herself to be one of most capable posters here; and that is not an easy feat to achieve!

Julie has gone through as much or more psychological abuse than any JW. She has had her religious myths scattered and experienced the feeling of loss that comes with it. She knows betrayal. She is gutsy and had to pull herself out of abuse and the effects of abuse by herself; just like many ex-JWs here.

The "really understand" debate is silly. No one here, longtime JWs and ex-JWs can "really understand" my life, because they have never lived my life. And I cannot "really understand" their life because I have never lived their life! So, since we cannot "really understand" each other's lives, then by that logic, we can never criticize anyone about anything, ever.

But we can get a close enough approximation that for all practical purposes it is the same.

Many longtime Dubs do not understand JW issues as well as Julie. Just look at FredHall's or You Know's posts. So the argument that Julie cannot make a significant and truly meaningful contribution to this board is pure bullshit.

And to act like Julie is can never really "be one of us" is elitism and cliquish. Just like at the Kingdom Hall.

Julie, as hard as it is, ignore the ones who claim you cannot possibly understand. You have proven yourself many times over. And just as explaining to You Know why his latest end-of-the-world prediction is a waste of time, explaining to some here why your input is just as worthy as any others is a waste of time.

Richard

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Julie,

I had to be honest about how questionable I found your "objectivity" to be once I learned you were in friendly communication with Amazing. Sorry but I'd like to think that would be a red flag to anyone.
    Was my "objectivity" tainted by friendly communication with you and Tina? Was your own "objectivity" tainted by your friendly communication with Amnesian?

You are certainly free to think whatever you want. I described my initial impressions as though I'd never heard from either you or Amazing.

Ginny

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Amazing,

There are a few sticking points in your latest diatribe that I'd like to address before I leave for an important child-related appointment.

:In some of the "Assertiveness" training I have been through in recent years, I have been aware of the importance of setting a limit so that healthy assertiveness does not turn into arrogance and egotism. When the emotions get involved, this is a tough challenge to meet.

Well then Amazing, I should think you would be able to recognize such behavior in one talking to you and, if all your training was worth anything, you'd have some sort of method to diffuse it, not inflame it as you did.

:The reasons I made the point to Julie about your "objectivity" is that during our discussions I saw your fairness, balance, and ability to see both sides.

Well yeah, considering you were no doubt sending tear-jerking e-mails to your one last ray of hope, yeah, real objective input from your lifegaurd there Amazing, sorry but the jig is up on that one dude. I have had to put her in the same "objective" category as your ex-wife and your daughter.

>Looking back on the thread about the 9/11 events, your comments really expressed the same leve of objectivity, and your views match my own sentiments. But somehow, my emotions were running the show, and I could not seem to step back to a more fair position.

I see, so now looking back you can understand how *you* could possibly get emotional about something with personal meaning to you but in others (especially if directed toward you) is INEXCUSABLE, untterly barbaric.

:Likewise, I see your same sense of fairness above in your points to Julie. I don't like coming across as egotistical, dogmatic or present other negative attributes. Few people like to come across negatively. The reason I can accept your observations and honesty is that you have the ability to help me see where I can improve without making me feel like shit.

Well since you have such a nice personal relationship I am sure that helped with your rapport on the board. Um, do you still think you are fooling anyone here? Yeah, Ginny is a brilliant woman with a balanced view but the myth of her objectivity in this debacle of yours is obliterated.

And you seem to infer I make you feel like shit with my own criticisms of you. I think you need to get your money back for all that high-faluttin' assertiveness training Amazing if a little Irish girl whose assertiveness training comes from staying alive in a household of Irish brothers reduces you to a pile of dung unable to defend himself. If you cannot take any kind of criticism and gleen anything of value and throw the rest away (no, not take it as a personal earth shattering matter) it was a short course, the kind not really worth bragging about.

:I wanted Julie to see this in you so that maybe she too could step back away from her own dogamatism, or at least what comes across to me as judgmentalism and arrogance, and see that maybe the reason she and I clashed is that it became more of a battle of two egos rather than a fair debate.

I have already dismissed this ego-clash nonsense of yours. I feel no need to have posters look up to me, I have no need to feel admired. I merely pointed out your behavior and did exhaustive explanations for my own comments. You have yet to disprove any of my comments, in fact with the way you carried on you strengthened my arguments about you with every post.

Oh but wait, doesn't a man used to power and control usually send a woman to do his dirty work for him? How lucky you were to have found such an intelligent and respectable one to do your work for you, and you really had her convinced she was making some effort toward greater good too (not doing you a great service), boy, hats off to ya dude. Well done!!!

I started to wonder about you Amazing, thinking I had perhaps misjudged you and that you really did mean all you said about wanting to just help folks and not be offensive. I am sure it was a bit difficult for you to make your kind remarks to me the other day. I now believe they were to make you look gracious to all and were empty, just like your claims to want to grow and improve as a human (like we all should do).

How about you stay the hell away from me and I will show you the same courtesy? Apparently our opinions of each other will never change, even though I have tried.

Julie

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Julie:

I don't want to play the long exchange game with you. I wasn't saying you are the only person who needs growth but I seem to recall someone (you) recently calming to have grown and a wish to continue to do so etc. I was basically agreeing with you on what you have claimed to be goals for yourself.
    Fair enough. I concede the point.

I don't consider myself to be better than anyone else and I didn't clash egos with you anywhere along the way. I thought your actions after Amnesian's initial rebuttal post were poor, said so and explained why. Where does my ego come into play here? By commenting on a discussion board? By pointing out your lackluster response when called out in serious fashion?
    Mixed in with your fair right to feel I acted poorly, was a measure of personality attack, and that still comes through your writing somewhat. I too do not want a long set of exchanges. The problem I had with Amnesian and you is that I mistook your individual facetiousness as meant to be very serious. At a second look, I do not take it very serious anymore.

As to the second chance thing that *so* offended you Amazing, yes a second chance. It got to the point where my opinion of you sunk very low. When I found out that you and Ginny were e-mailing while she was writing "objective" things in your defense I couldn't help but doubt the degree of "objectivity" we are talking here.
    I am not offended. I just think that you overestimate yourself on this. Personally, I don't need any "chances" with you muchless a second chance. I did not ask for a second chance. Whatever is in your state-of-mind is something of your own making. Rather, I now feel a sense of humor at the whole blasted saga. Kind of the way I felt when I realize I was duped by the Watch Tower religion ... escept, in this case, nothing lost, nothing gained as its no big deal.

It became apparent that there were many here who had apparently been long harboring some feelings of ill will toward you anyway, unless you have some other logical explanation for the outpouring of intense response to Amnesian's post.
    They all failed to provide any substantive evidence. Claims, more claims, saying and repeating claioms over and over do not make them true, just simply run into the ground. And, what I did learn as I noted above, is that a word, phrase or sentance can be one person's salve and another's poison. So, how does one write such that they please all the people all the time? Sorry, no can do! I am not going to overhaul my entire personality to make sure that I never offend anyone. If someone has a beef with me, then point out to me with evidence what it is I have done, and I will either apologize if worng or explain to clarify. There is nothing more that can be done.

*I* was making the statement that I wanted to put my old opinion of you aside and was urging others (who may have needed a little urging) to do the same. Was hoping that indeed all your lofty talk of growth and consideration of the thoughts of others was sincere. What a chump I was, as is made clear here by your reply to me.
    No, not really. You simply cannot take what you dish out to others. You love to cite my warts but fail to see or admit your own. You are not a chump, but maybe lacking in taking a dose of your own medicine.

As to my issues I take up with Island Woman, you show you know little of what you speak of Amazing, mankind and it's behaviors are basically unchanged for millenia, have a look at some history, you'll see.
    I have no argument with behaviors of humans being universal. That misses the point. The point is that if I do not have a certain set of experiences, no amount of study or discussion will make me as keenly aware and understanding as those who have had a certain set of experiences. And even similar experiences are not always understood well. That is why I cite Mormons vis-a-vis JWs. As much as my ex-JW experiences in the context of a cult and its similarities to what ex-Mormons say, I can never "FULLY" understand what an ex-Mormon thinks or feels because I have not walked in their specific set of shoes.

Besides, I thought you weren't out to hijack this thread. ... Yes, you were an elder and obviously have a unique, insightful perspective of the patriarchal sort of organization (as you have clearly demonstrated time and again)...big deal....do you think you were in the only situation where a man was considered or acted superior???
    You have [never once demonstrated where I have acted superior to anyone else. As for hijacking, the last time I broke out a separate post, I was severely criticized fo doing so because this was seen as some negative style on my part. Yes, your thread was to IslandWoman. But, if you intend a private mono-e-mono with her, then email her privately. When we put it onto the open forum, it is fair game, just as my posts have taken off in direction that I did not intend.

Does Island Woman think JWs are the only people to know oppression and the life of being constantly hood-winked?
    She did not say that, and your question alonmg with the direction you take in response to her demonstrates to me a level of intenectual dishonesty on your part. her point was not that JWs were the ONLY ones to ever suffer such things, but that unless one "walks in the JW shoes" there is never going to be a "FULL" understanding of what we think and feel by those who have never been there with us. yes, you may have been in a cult yourself, and unless she or others were in that cult with you, we could never "Fully" understand what you went through. Ref. back to the Mormon v JWs analogy again. We might find sympathy for one another, and find common ground, but we can never "fully" understand one another. Or to use IslandWoman's other analogy, a man can never understand what it is like to give birth ... only women who have born children can "Fully" understand.

I have known psychological abuse equal to that of a control group and have known physical abuse as a child. Was raised in the RCC (ever see a woman priest?) and came to realize that which I held so dear (my religious beliefs) was nothing but myth.
    I agree. I was raised RCC myself. I became a JW as a young adult. I am no longer committed to any religion, and I am not even sure of God, whoever She/He/It might be. And, unless any JWs here also happen to have been RCC, they can never "Fully" understand what you went through. When I was being studied with by the JWs, I resented some of their inane comments about Catholicism because they just did not understand.

Yeah, it sounds like practically every other story on this forum, only difference is I didn't waste half my life schlepping mags for the corp. Perhaps my twenty years in retail and foot injuries to show for it can gain me some equal footing there.....
    Julie, I have no doubt that you understand much of the JWs. You obviously take much interest in ex-JWs. You did study for 18 months, and I assume that meant you attended some meetings. So, your understanding of JWs is going to be greater than someone who has had little experience with them. Again, unless you gave up 20, 30 or more years of your life as a full fledged JW, you will always lack some level of understanding. Why can't you accept this concept? Why do you feel that you have to know everything and defend everything? Why can't you accept that you understanding of JWs is limited, just as a man has to accept that his understanding of giving birth is limited? It is no shame, is it?

Now why don't you go and answer some of the many questions that *were* directed to YOU Amazing if you have so much time on your hands, instead of wasting time proving that those who had figured you to be a pompous windbag to be right, (again)?
    I answered those question, but you evidently did not read them. I can see why. You want me to bow to you and accept all your allegations 100% without question, doubt, or fear ... and follow Julie. Nope ... bveen there, done that. Were I to go on the offensive and start attacking your character over and over again and again with continual reminders of how you exhibit this or that negative trait, you would be within your right to come back and defend yourself if you felt that such attacks are unwarranted.

You started this thread and mention me. You opened yourself up to my taking exception. While you were away, I did not go around posting about Julie. I left you alone. When you returned, I let it be as well. When you mention a recent death in your life, I responded wihtout mention of other issues. But, you opened this thread ... and here I am. Sorry if you do not like it, but if you don't want to get into it with me ... then please leave me out of your threads.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Only a fool strays into a bull-ring wearing a red jacket, but at least I will die with ‘gory’…

Try an experiment:

Lift up your hands if you view yourself to be an 'arrogant', 'dogmatic', ‘hypocrite’.

I suspect very few hands have reached! Why? Because none of us want to view ourselves as having any of these qualities attached to our own extraordinary personalities!

Yet, the reality of the human condition is that we are all guilty at some moment, perhaps many moments in our lives, of being all of the things that we detest in other people. We wrestle this conundrum even as we are packed into our coffins.

Julie, Ginny Amazing, and Valentine are, as can be judged from the overall tone of their posts wonderful people with valuable and varied opinions. I admire them all for different reasons, Ginny especially because she reminds me of myself, and apart from being an arrogant, dogmatic, hypocrite, I also have an ego the size of Bloomingdales.

Civil wars are very uncivil, always the most barbaric and damaging, and I agree with Mindchild that the ‘passing trade’ can be damaged by our posts. These wars are generally fought over internal ideology which makes them hard to control, as we can see in the subject of this repetitive thread.

I have followed these threads closely and can see that both ‘camps’ have made worthy points, can we just not agree to respect other opinions while holding differing viewpoints without the provocative exchanges?

As Don Van Vleit might say:

Tropical hot-dog night
    Like two flamingos in a fruit fight
    Everything is wrong
    And at the same time it’s right….

Kindest regards to you all.

HS - backing out of the bull-ring verrrry gently…..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit