The Watchtower denies that God is Omnipresent

by brotherdan 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I was flipping through the newest Awake this afternoon and stumbled on an interesting article. The title is "Is God Omnipresent?" This is a pretty basic Christian belief, and I thought that the Watchtower was on board with it. But they are not!

Here is a quote from the article:

The fact that Jehovah has a place of dwelling
    indicates that he is not in all places at all
    times. How, then, can he be aware of what
    is happening? (2 Chronicles 6:39) One way
    is through his holy spirit, or active force.
    The psalmist wrote: “Where can I go from
    your spirit, and where can I run away from
    your face? If I should ascend to heaven, there
    you would be; and if I should spread out my
    couch in Sheol, look! you would be there.”
    —Psalm 139:7-10.

Quite interesting...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Are begining to teach duality? The Father and Holy Spirit?

• laverite
    laverite

They don't know whether they are coming or going. They literally pull things out of their bums, hoping something sticks. That's never a good idea. They just wind up making a big hot mess. Their entire publication history is just one big hot mess.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know, Lav! If you read the article you'll see that the reasoning just doesn't hold up. They have to make too many assumptions and then connect it to their belief about the spirit being a "force" or "power" and then try and attach some OT scriptures to some NT scriptures, make a few loopty loops, clap their hands and TA DA! They have a new teaching.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

According to Ezekiel, there are a lot of "eyes" in god's chariot. Somebody is keeping watch and taking notes. Making a list checking it twice.

• agonus
    agonus

Basically, anything that mainline-ish Christians believe is considered at least some degree faulty by the WT.

• laverite
    laverite

I love the way you say things, Brother Dan. "They have to make too many assumptions and then connect it to their belief about the spirit being a "force" or "power" and then try and attach some OT scriptures to some NT scriptures, make a few loopty loops, clap their hands and TA DA! They have a new teaching."

Through the most strained mental acrobatics known to man (or woman), they've been loopty looping for over a century. They've looped themselves into all kinds of CRAZY.

• blondie
    blondie

The Church of God does not believe that God is omnipresent.

http://www.cogwriter.com/god-omnipotent-omniscient-omnipresent.htm

• laverite
    laverite

Thanks Blondie. I learn something new every day.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wow, Blondie...

They use almost the exact same argument and even some of the same scriptures. Here's a quote from that article:

So, how is God “everywhere”? We already read the answer, in David’s words: “Where can I go from your Spirit?” (Psalm 139:7). It is by their Spirit that the Father and the glorified Christ have complete access to their creation! Through His Spirit, God’s reach extends to every nook and cranny of the universe, and there is—as David wrote—no place to flee from His presence. Yet He still retains a shape—a body—ruling in glory from His throne in heaven. It is from there that “His eyes behold” the sons of men (Psalm 11:4).

While I don't agree with the Church of God's position on this, at least they brought up Jesus... The Awake article said NOTHING about Him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit