What is a false prophet?

by Spade 95 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

BD -- okay, i just wish you would state it like that, because i simply dont think "information" is the right word. At the bottom of it all, we both believe that life (eg. very simple cells), are a larger number of molecules that behave in a quite predictable way. So we are back at square one, how did life begin.

I can perhaps make it more clearer. Lets assume that the mainstream view in geology is correct and the early earth contained a number of amino acids -- so far no information(?)-- We know these free amino acids can spontaneously form small(ish) strands of RNA. Well, isnt that information? it sure would be what we called it if it were in a cell!

I think the problem about using "information" here is that it take a bit of a magical sence.. it sort of erect an interlectual boundary which i dont have any reason to believe exist. Either chemistry can account for the formation of life as in eg. the RNA world, or it cant; it dont have to account of any "information" because information mainly occur in cells because of the way we interpret how they look.

Lets say i want to convince you that snowflakes cant form natually. So i say: "Snowflakes are beautiful". You will agree easily. So i can now say: "I dont see how we can go from no-beauty (water) to beauty (snowflake)". I might be right - but the question is all about the properties of water at zero temperature, its not about "beauty" which is entirely subjective! Beauty is not explicitly "created" at any point in the process.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Very well put, bohm. I was unaware with any sort of spontaneous formation of RNA. Also, your snowflake example is very good. I know that there is a problem using the word "information".

• sherah
    sherah

Nothing to add to this topic, it's been covered on the first two pages.

Big ups to the JWN Troll Patrol!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Alice; would you say practicing homosexual members of the GB for decades Vice President Fred Franz, president Nathan Knorr and "board of directors" Leo Greenlees and Ewart Chitty who had a preference of buggering and sodomizing teenage boys in the "house of Jeehovah" were members of the anointed? and do you think your God would have been shinning his "holy spirit" on these men when they had such disgusting sexual appetites? this very forum recounts the times when "the Oracle" of the WTS Fred Franz would frequent homosexual gay saunas in the downtown area of Brooklyn, yet when sexual scandals afflict the "churches of Christendom" the pages of WT's are very quick to expose these scandals? dont you think there could be some double standards and hypocrisy shown by "Gods Channel" The WTS? I do.

• designs
    designs

Wow this Thread is taking some left and right turns. Now we're on to YMCA.......are Disco Bars next

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    What is a false prophet?

When a religious leader claims their divine inspiration shows a momentous event is certain to happen, the time for that event comes and goes without that event coming to be, and then they pretend "we didn't really say that": you've found a false prophet speaking a false prophecy. Here's a good example (MP3, over an hour long). Notice how Fred Franz "corrects misunderstandings" about doctrines the Society had previously declared as "The Truth." Describing this speech, The Watchtower of May 1, 1975 said:

Another speaker, F. W. Franz, the Society's vice- president, forcefully impressed on the audience the urgency of the Christian preaching work. He stressed that, according to dependable Bible chronology, 6,000 years of human history will end this coming September according to the lunar calendar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit