Help me make sence of William Lane Craigs nonsense

by bohm 104 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

PS: But you wrote: "Not evidence of God, but of a possible absolute moral that can come from God, yes."

With the definition of evidence you just gave, we seem to be in agreement?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    With the definition of evidence you just gave, we seem to be in agreement?

I don't want to force my definition of God upon you or anyone, I am just stating that, to me, there is evidence of an absolute moral.

And I conceed that evidence doesn't equal proof but that under the conditions I mentioned, that evidence is in of itself enough.

• bohm
    bohm

But then we are back at the beginning: if you say "absolute morals is evidence for God", then there must be some argument, like:

• God provide a good explanation for absolute morals.
    • Absolute morals likely exist
    • therefore god likely exist.

but i dont want to put words in your mouth..

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I haven't read this entire thread...just scanned over the first page. I agree with slimboyfat:

I have resigned myself to the idea that objective values do not exist. It's not a comfortable thought but it's the way it is. And it doesn't mean that we don't have values, it just means we need to take responsibility for constructing our own.

Using the exististence of objective values as a starting assumption is highly dubious.

The values we create are our own and there is NO EVIDENCE that they come from some external source OR that they are objectively true. That objective values exist is a statement that has NO SUPPORT but many nevertheless believe. Why? Because believing our values are objectively correct gives us "an out" so that we don't have to try to understand why we hold those values or analyze where those values might perhaps be incorrect. It is that common intellectual laziness that religious and political leaders have been taking advantage of for millennia, unfortunately.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But then we are back at the beginning: if you say "absolute morals is evidence for God", then there must be some argument, like:

If one believes in absolute morals one must ask where they come from, since humanity can't be the source, right?

God provide a good explanation for absolute morals.
      Absolute morals likely exist
    • OK.
    • therefore god likely exist.
    • Only if we accept that notion that those morals stem from God, if they don't ( if they exist) then where do they come from?
    but i dont want to put words in your mouth..

Everyone else does, so it's ok ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit