*Seriously* Considering A Billboard Ad?

by laverite 69 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

A full billboard ad in my area along a busy heavily travelled highway would cost about $500. Would probably get lots of attention and maybe even a news article, who knows. But I am seriously considering doing this. $500 is cheap and easily affordable. I might even run it for a few months.

I'm thinking about some kind of caption like "Find out more about the experiences of Ex JWs at www.....etc." or Find out more about the JW practice of disfellowshipping at...." or "Find out more about the ex JWs and their families at..." I do not want to have anything that could be considered as slanderous against the Watchtower. So I think we need to have something that focuses on US -- Ex JWs -- and OUR experiences as Ex JWs.

I would consult three different (and prominent) attorneys before going forward with this. I would have an attorney approve the final ad before it goes up.

Would love to get your feedback if you are inclined to give it. Tell me honestly what you think. Good idea or not?

Also, please note - I would be paying for this myself (and probably with some additional local contributions from a couple of people I know). There would be no JWN collection of any kind.

Thanks!

-LV

P.S. I was never DF'd. But I am DA'd. So same diff.

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

As the owner of JehovahsWitnessBlog.com, I'd pay for 1 of the 3 months you'll have the banner up.

If you're serious about this, visit my blog and email me via the Contact Form.

Regards,
    Carlos

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Why don't you want to attack the Borg if you're already DA'd? That would be the way I'd go. Hit them with blood deaths, shunning, mind control, the works (not all on one billboard, obviously).

Also, in your post you say JW, but I assume you will spell out the words "Jehovah's Witnesses" on the billboard? You may also consider including the word "Watchtower" on there somewhere, too.

I think it is a GREAT IDEA. I'd rather see it as a coordinated nationwide thing, though, but big things tend to start locally.

Also, you would get permission from the website owners to pimp their site, right?

Expect a bunch of PMs from people wanting to contribute. Good luck. Can't wait to see how this thread and the billboards develop!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If done, it needs to be put up near JW headquarters.

"There probably is no Watchtower Jehovah, so stop washing windows, and enjoy your life"

BTS

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I really appreciate your tenacity in wanting to expose the Watchtower, but really, just how many people these days are joining this cult, outside of third world countries? I live in New York, and I don't come across anyone anymore who is unaware that the Watchtower is, at the very least, a very strange cult.

Or, if you're targeting active JW's, wouldn't they just see it as the "persecution" they've been waiting for which would reinforce their delusion?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Since you've asked. . .

If I had $500 extra dollars, I'd probably donate it to Free Minds. Randy's non-profit has been assisting people for decades. He has been very successful.

It's nearly impossible to extract people from high-control groups. However, preventing them from ever joining is not that difficult. So, if a billboard were used, the target audience would be people who think JWs are just another harmless religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This needs doing. If done right, it will get lots of eyeballs, plus news coverage. There is very little negative news coverage of the JWs in the US.

BTS

• laverite
    laverite

Prodigal Son - Good points. Believe it or not, I have considered (and continue to weigh) these points. I appreciate your reply. Please continue to give feedback as I want to hear what you're thinking.

BTS - I'd be tempted to run that one or something like it right there in Brooklyn. My guess is that it would be crazy expensive in NYC though. :)

Mad Sweeney - wow - lots to reply to you on your post. Mainly, I want to be careful as the WTBTS is very litigious. I would want to make sure that what I would put out there would be easily defended. That's why I was thinking about focusing on OUR community. By bringing people to our community websites, there is much to learn and also there's a lot of potential support. You wrote: "

Also, in your post you say JW, but I assume you will spell out the words "Jehovah's Witnesses" on the billboard? You may also consider including the word "Watchtower" on there somewhere, too." Absolutely. Sometimes, I post with my iPad and it's hard to type it all out. :) You also wrote: "Also, you would get permission from the website owners to pimp their site, right?" Absolutely! If I were to go forward wit this, everything would be under the supervision of an attorney. You commented: "Expect a bunch of PMs from people wanting to contribute. Good luck. Can't wait to see how this thread and the billboards develop!" I would not consider taking contributions at all although we have many generous people on here. Way too risky in so many ways. Rather, I would only go forward with this as a member of the community with my own money under the guidance of legal counsel (and with content input and advice/suggestions from my colleagues on here at JWN).

• laverite
    laverite

LeavingWT - Good points. I hadn't thought of contributing to the website but that might be something I do this summer. I'm also thinking that by focusing on ex JWs and those hurt by WT policies (blood, education, etc.), the visibility and publicity would be good overall to get people the support and information they need. I was thinking of Randy's site as a potential for being mentioned (only with permission).

• laverite
    laverite

God Carlos,

I've got to check out your blog. I would only do this as a private citizen with no money contributions. Just wanting feecback at the mo. Need to read more of your stuff. :) Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit