Jonny, the WTB&TS, and hacking

by MeanMrMustard 32 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@batar447:

You wrote:

"All you would need to do is take a 1x1 pixel image hosted on your server externally somewhere, imbed it into a post that you make, on the back end you can setup logging to see what ip addresses hit your image.

At least that's an easy way to gather IPs from a site, you could probably use javascript creatively to further isolate users to IPs."

Ahhh.. you are right. But the 1x1 image (or any image for that matter) linked back to your server would give you a flood of IP addresses, with no connection to usernames. Even the IP addresses of non-members.

I was pondering the realistic possibility of someone harvesting IP address/username combinations. Like some of the other users have stated (as well as you), what do you do with it even if you get the IP address? You can't get the exact ID of the person from the IP, and that alone casts doubt on JTB's claim - because there's no payoff. The payoff for all this "hacking" would be the identities of the active elders and users that leak information they don't want leaked, I would think. But JTB was claiming getting the IP address for forum users was very simple. Even this doesn't seem to be the case...

Now what do you mean about creative javascript? There would have to be some way to get javascript, within script tags, into the post. Linking to an image is one thing, causing the browser to connect to the image URL to download the image (which would give the server the opportunity to log the IP); but if you wanted the broswer to download and run a script, even if it was located on another server, you need to get some script tags in there. I noticed that JWN has an HTML edit option, what happens if you put some javascript in there?

MeanMrMustard

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@dsynergy:

You wrote:

"My IP address for example shows my neighborhood, but since I'm with Comcast it could be anyone in the area. When I look it up, it cannot even pinpoint my house."

Me too - when I look up my location, it gets pretty close. But I don't think the WT would look for a specific address. Even if you hit the same city, that narrows it down. For example, what if you are looking to get the ID of some of the rouge elders here on JWN, and you managed to get the IP address, and it showed a certain city.

Well, how many elders are located within that city? Not that many. They would use other means after that to find out the identity. For example, I believe it was miseryloveselders (could be wrong) that posted his observations about the recent elder's school. His decriptions contained a lot of details to help profile him. For example, he said the older elders were surpised when it was mentioned the new manual was leaked on the internet. Well, so he's not an older guy. Perhaps other details could be gleaned from some of his other posts... see what I mean?

Again, its still not probable this is occuring, I'm just exploring the possibility...

MeanMrMustard

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@koolaid-man:

Is there a change there might be some evidence released? I don't think its unreasonable to ask for some evidence....

MeanMrMustard

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

dssynergy, here is just the Johnny part of the second call:

https://www.box.net/shared/lk9rlha19y

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Palimpsest:

You wrote:

Yeah, his technical "wisdom" did not impress me in any way. And I hate the misuse of the term "hacking."

Agreed.

My primary IP address isn't even in my area code. Hell, it's not even in my state. And I tend to post on boards from home, work, and my phone, so I'm all over the place. I really don't think most people understand how IPs work. The whole "We've got your IP and we're gonna git you!" thing just doesn't work in the real world. Everyone can relax. ;)

LOL - I've always been relaxed. ;). I guess, by going through the excercise of seeing what it would take for the WTB&TS to undertake these actions, and what the payoff would be (not much), it's easier to gauge the probablity of JTB's statements. Which is why I really want JTB to produce some evidence. Something, anything.. I mean, you can't take a few pictures of the 20 IT guys in a room?

MeanMrMustard

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I read part of the transcript elsewhere on this site, and he sounds really paranoid. I'm not convinced.

DS

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

MrMeanMustard said:

Well, how many elders are located within that city? Not that many. They would use other means after that to find out the identity. For example, I believe it was miseryloveselders (could be wrong) that posted his observations about the recent elder's school. His decriptions contained a lot of details to help profile him. For example, he said the older elders were surpised when it was mentioned the new manual was leaked on the internet. Well, so he's not an older guy. Perhaps other details could be gleaned from some of his other posts... see what I mean?
    Again, its still not probable this is occuring, I'm just exploring the possibility.. .

THAT's why I'm pretty careful about what I say and don't give too many connecting details to anything. I've held myself back more than once so that I remain as anonymous as possible.

DS
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

All,

What happens if I do this:

...edited... didn't work....

Just giving it a shot... :)

MeanMrMustard

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Eh, "Johnny" just screams false flag to me. Maybe from Brooklyn, sure, or just as likely some zealous elder/wannabe Bethelite with nothing better to do. (Or, uh...the people behind that site. Ahem.)

Remember that cheesy Sandra Bullock movie The Net? Johnny's conspiracy theory is like a wisely discarded subplot from that. You log on to Facebook one night via screechy dial-up, you post an innocent remark about missing the TMS to stay home and watch the game, and -- BAM! -- a bunch of Brooklyn goosesteppers show up at your door and take you off to a bunker in Wallkill for Chinese water torture. And then someone from Six Screens shows up and tries to break you out, but just as you're beginning to trust them, you realize...they're actually working for the GB. Oh. My. God. And then there's a car chase with an explosion at the end. Very, very intense. Plus all that sexual tension between Johnny and the kindly young, single, attractive (once her glasses come off, naturally) Bethelite named Kate, the only one who sees the anti-religion superhero lurking inside of him. When he finds her...he finds himself.

We should pitch this to someone. It's at least equally believable as his story.

• trillaz
    trillaz

baltar447 is right about use of an image to scrape ip addresses. To get a good distribution, they would have to post

on a popular thread since only the site owners can embed on plain old www.jehovahs-witness.net

But there would not be a way for them to correlate an ip address with a person, unless they are looking at

elders who have logins to jw.org where WTB&TS can record ip addresses and pair them with people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit