A Request to All Posters Regarding Cut & Paste Posting of "Interesting Articles"

by Oubliette 16 Replies latest members private

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I have a personal request to all posters. My request is in reference to the practice of Cut & Paste Posting of "Interesting Articles."

Personally, I like it when my fellow members of this forum sharing interesting news stories or other similar items. I especially like it when you do certain things, such as:

• Include the TITLE of the article
    • Include a link to the article
    • Judiciously Cut & Paste a few key quotes, and then
    • Include your own commentary and observations about the article

What I hate/detest/deplore and find incredibly annoying is when posters:

• Cut & Paste an entire article without any editing or commentary!

Seriously!

What's the point?

It's just lazy.

So you saw an interesting article on the internet and want to share it. Great!

Do us a favor. Just give us the most interesting points, include your own thoughts and provide us a link so, if we want to read more, we can.

But share YOUR THOUGHTS. We can all read the article. I want to know what YOU think about it, pro and con. Tell us WHY YOU think it's worthy of our consideration. Do it!

Many of you have apparently forgotten: this is A DISCUSSION FORUM, not a CUT & PASTE FORUM.

Rant over,

Oubliette

• millie210
    millie210
    Good points Oubliette, thank you!
  • PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil
    Very true, points well taken!
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Generally I agree with you, however if it isn't too big, quoting the whole thing reduces the chances of somebody complaining that the quoted parts were taken out of context. In this instance, highlighting what you think are the important parts lets people find them quickly.

This is standard practice on another board I help administer.

And commentary is critical, without telling us WHY you wanted to share it, its just a bunch of random words thrown at us.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Cant you just read another thread?
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    LOL!!!!..
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

JeffT: Commentary is critical, without telling us WHY you wanted to share it, its just a bunch of random words thrown at us.

That would be the point of this thread and my rant.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

You mean like this:

Oubliette – “I have a … practice of cut & paste posting of … my … member.”

jwleaks: Are you serious?

Oubliette - "I especially like it when you judiciously cut & paste ... your own ... and want to share it."

jwleaks: I don’t think so.

Oubliette - "Do us a favor ... provide us a link ... I want to know what YOU think about it, pro and con. Tell us WHY YOU think it's worthy of our consideration. Do it!"

jwleaks: WTF!

Just kidding. Couldn't resist it.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jwleaks, did you hit your head?

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Oubliette - jwleaks, did you hit your head?

Crash on my mountain bike. How did you hear about it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit