The Power of Prayer......Do you believe in it?

by confuzzled777 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

For example. My SIL has been fighting stage iv leiomyosarcoma (which in incurable) for over 2 years now. There have been quite a few ups and downs in her treatments and her prognosis along with way. She is a full time pioneer and has been since shortly after her diagnosis. She feels as if her relationship with Jah is strong and that because of constant prayer and her service to him that he is the reason for her wellness up to this point.

My question is this......What happens when her cancer stops responding to any treatment and she dies? Why would God answer her prayers and heal her for a time, then stop and allow the cancer to take her when her prayers and continued service never cease?

Does the Power of Prayer really exist? Why would one person's prayers be answered to save a loved one and another one's not?

Let's hear your thoughts.......

• Chalam
    Chalam

The Power of Prayer......Do you believe in it?

Of course, what's the point otherwise?

Does the Power of Prayer really exist?

Yes, sure, watch this Charles Vance - Healing

Why would one person's prayers be answered to save a loved one and another one's not?

First and formost one needs the right Jesus, not a counterfeit.

John 14:6 (New International Version, ©2010)

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Isaiah 53:2-5 (New International Version, ©2010)

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
    He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
    3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
    Like one from whom people hide their faces
    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
    yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.
    5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

Acts 3:16 (New International Version, ©2010)

16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

Acts 4:10 (New International Version, ©2010)

10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think it may have some beneficial psychological effect for people who believe in it.

For me, it is like continual talking on a cell phone and having no sound (or even a dial tone) ever come back from the receiver.

• undercover
    undercover
    I think it may have some beneficial psychological effect for people who believe in it.

Yea...If you think it helps, then go ahead. It can't hurt. Those that believe in it may find some solace or comfort in it.

Personally, I don't believe in it. There's no one there to hear it or answer it. It's a fart in the wind as far as a practical solution to whatever problem or dilema I'm facing. My time is better spent dealing with it...or finding a solution, than trying to pass the buck to some imaginary superbeing.

And as for this attitude, be it a JW or any other religious person...

She feels as if her relationship with Jah is strong and that because of constant prayer and her service to him that he is the reason for her wellness up to this point.

Bullshit. What about other people with "strong personal relationships" with Jehovah and they died at a young age or were killed in an accident? Why is her relationship better than those that didn't have cancer go in remission. And what about people who can't be pioneers or give as much as her? Are they less deserving than her? I don't know your SIL, she might be a swell gal, but that attitude just pisses me off. Cancer doesn't listen to prayers. Cancer does not discriminate. Some are lucky, some aren't. Pray if you feel it helps but don't hand me that self-righteous bullshit about being protected or saved because of being faithful to whatever god you believe in.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I like the famous simple "Serenity" prayer. It doesn't ask for miracles. It certainly doesn't ask for something special from God if we be "good" or if we be a pioneer/JW or to save us from trials above all others.

If you can remember this balance or wisdom within yourself, without God, then good.

• Terry
    Terry

Prayer is "means testing" for religious faith.

Are you eligible for God's help?

If you get what you've asked for the answer was an obvious: "Yes."

If you don't, you weren't.

You can try this same means test by praying for "heads" and flipping a coin over and over again.

Half the time (give or take) God will find you eligible for His aid and cause the coin to land on the prayed for modality.

The other half (give or take) you will be ineligible and the prayer will fall on deaf ears.

Or, put another way: Prayer is what you "do" when you aren't really able to DO anything but want to feel like you ARE.

To say, "I've been praying for you" or "I'll pray for you" is to sound like you will be DOING SOMETHING POWERFUL when, all you are doing

is benevolent wishful thinking.

I ask my friends to dance the Hokey-Pokey for me and I find that the results are identical to prayer.

Not to be flippant about the subject, mind you. Just to be honest.

• VIII
    VIII

I personally do not believe in it. As noted above, if it helps you, do it. If it helps to meditate, do that.

I look at it like meditation. I only meditate when doing yoga and then I'm thinking about all the things I have to do.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Nope. I believe at best it has a 'placebo' affect for those who do believe in it.

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

Very interesting replies! Thank you......

I am having a difficult time praying as of late.....have actually stopped praying all together. As I replied in a thread earlier, I used to go to God in prayer thinking that he was listening. I would pour my heart out to him in the good times and in the bad. When I was first df'd I prayed for God to forgive the men who judged me so harshly. Now, I question whether or not he is actually there to listen and IF he is there to listen to us then why would only selective prayers be answered by seletive people.

Undercover, I agree with you on the SIL.....I do have to say that YES she IS a VERY loving woman and has seen her fair share of hard times......was even df'd for over 20 years. I can appreciate where she is right now with her illness and her place with God, but none the less it does bother me greatly when she comes across as being self righteous! My fear is when her cancer takes over and her prayers and efforts seem to go unnoticed by God. What will she think about God then? Will she be angry with him? Or will she just blame Satan for the bad once she has lost the battle? Maybe prayer for her right now is the "placebo" that she needs to get her through her day to day trials. Maybe it is the "placebo" that she needs to make her feel as if God is healing her. I hope to never be in her position to find out.

Terry, I appreciate your answer as well......not a flippant answer at all.......kind of the same thought process that I am on right now.

I really had not thought about it as a "placebo" or phycological affect......but I find that it makes a great deal of sense.

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

VIII.....speaking of Yoga.....my trainer recommended I take a Yoga class this last week. I was too sick to go yesterday, but I think it is something that I would like to do. Right now I work with a trainer 3 days a week and am on the eliptical the other 4. But would love to add another class or 2 each week. How long have you been doing it and how often?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit