1/1/11 WT Using One Myth to Support Another

by WalkTall 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

I thought this was pretty hysterical and something that I would have never noticed before I woke up. In the Jan 1 WT under the heading 'Was the garden of Eden a real place? part of the reasoning they use as to why no one could find the garden of Eden even though there are specifics in Genesis identifying it's location is because "the Flood of Noah's day may have altered the topography in ways that we simply cannot know today". With this footnote added: The Deluge, an act of God, evidently wiped out all traces of the garden of Eden itself.

Evidently, of course.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

The "Flood" is a perfect scape-goat for anything difficult to explain.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I thought that watchower was great. They correctly identified that if you don't believe that the events of the garden of eden were literal, factual & actually happened, then the basis for christianity is diminished.

Of course any evidence that humans have been around for more than 6,000 years is completely avoided.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

''the Flood of Noah's day may have altered the topography''

That has to be the biggest understatement of the year and its only 1/1/11.

If the Flood was real, I think the Witnesses, amongst others, believe that this was the cause of the Himalayas rising up and the Grand Canyon being formed. That's what I call topographic alteration all right.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A flood cannot alter topography that much. If you have a local flood, it can create channels and gulleys, but not raise mountain ranges. If the whole globe is flooded, you will not get much topography change at all. And there is no way water can raise mountains, since a given volume of water would have to push up more than 2.5 times its weight in rock to accomplish that. The rocks would push the water 2.5 times as hard.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I used to wonder why the "tree of life" wasn't still around somewhere if the Garden of Eden existed. Again, explained away by the Flood. I would've thought it'd make more sense to have that around as a constant reminder that we collectively suck.

I kind of felt like, as I watched the "Noah-He Walked With God" kids' video recently, the way they showed the trees being knocked down seemed to support the notion of the "tree of life" being destroyed.

I suppose, though, that a lot of what happened there is based on a chain of assumptions. I don't know.

I just wondered how it was possible for 8 people and 2 or more of every conceivable animal on Earth were able to have potable water for all that time. Yeah, it rained for 40 days, but once it stopped raining, there were several months that went by, and the water beneath the ark, even if they could rig a jar to reach it, would've been so poisoned from dead bodies that it'd be dangerous to consume, I would think. I mean, think of what happens after a hurricane strikes. Except a lot worse. The logistics of it all would've been a task that seems quite impossible for people who were relatively primitive.

Well...what do I know? I figure, the faithful slave knows everything, so...obviously it worked out just like they said it did.

--sd-7

• HayDay
    HayDay

I recently travelled to New Zealand. There was a huge Ostrich like bird there called the Moa, only found in New Zealand. The Moa and it's species are all extinct in the last few hundred years. The Moa is 12 feet tall and flightless. If there was a global flood in Noah's day then how did the Moa get to New Zealand? Did Noah drop off all the exclusive species on all the world's islands? No. I don't think the WT study can answer things like that, neither can the elders. The only use mystic methods, and that's not good enough for me.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Brother WTWizard, is that independent thinking you are trying to use here

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    With this footnote added: The Deluge, an act of God, evidently wiped out all traces of the garden of Eden itself.

Fred Franz once claimed that the Garden of Eden still exists but is buried under all that snow in Turkey and Armenia and will be thawed out after Armageddon.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The Ark was colossal in size, far bigger than any wooden ship could be before it would crack in half from the forces of the waves.

How did we ever believe this nonsense?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit