Is GOP Serious on Repealing The Healthcare Law? Here Is A Warning Message

by Scott77 44 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Fareed Zakaria: Health Care Is For Everyone.

Excellent article on health care policy. And here is a sample:

Average cost of an angiogram:
    US: $798
    Canada: $35

Average life expectancy:
    US: 78
    Italy: 82

Percentage of adult population with diabetes:
    US: 10%
    UK: 4%

http://www.fareedzakaria.com/home/Articles/Entries/2012/3/19_Health_Insurance_Is_for_Everyone.html
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Here's a quote from a healthcare reform article in this morning's LA Times:

Jonathan Gruber, a health economist at MIT who helped fashion the pioneering healthcare reform act in Massachusetts says, "In today's political climate, once you have an explanation that takes more than two sentences, you're screwed, because someone else will have a one-sentence lie. This is about getting people to understand the law. We've just got to get it in place, let Americans feel the benefits, then they'll like it."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20120322,0,901197.column

And a few choice quotes from the NYTRB that brings it full circle:

"The ideal citizen of a politically corrupt state, such as the one we now have, is a gullible dolt unable to tell truth from bullshit."

"It took years of indifference and stupidity to make us as ignorant as we are today..."

"I recall being stunned some years back when I read that a majority of Americans told pollsters that Saddam Hussein was behind September 11 terrorist attacks. It struck me as a propaganda feat unsurpassed by the worst authoritarian regimes of the past—many of which had to resort to labor camps and firing squads to force their people to believe some untruth, without comparable success."
    "No doubt, the Internet and cable television have allowed various political and corporate interests to spread disinformation on a scale that was not possible before, but to have it believed requires a badly educated population unaccustomed to verifying things they are being told."

"To the ignorant and the bigoted, lies always sound better than truth:

Christians are persecuted in this country.
    The government is coming to get your guns.
    Obama is a Muslim.
    Global Warming is a hoax.
    The president is forcing open homosexuality on the military.
    Schools push a left-wing agenda.
    Social Security is an entitlement, no different from welfare.
    Obama hates white people.
    The life on earth is 10,000 years old and so is the universe.
    The safety net contributes to poverty.
    The government is taking money from you and giving it to sex-crazed college women to pay for their birth control."

Despite their bravado, these fools can always be counted on to vote against their self-interest. And that, as far as I’m concerned, is why millions are being spent to keep my fellow citizens ignorant.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/20/age-of-ignorance/

The pervasive ignorance of our citizenry is going to bring us down.

• Scott77
    Scott77

BizzyBee,

I found your post to be of interest. I think, its so easy to be manipulated regardless of one's level of education. Our minds are not static. Its easy to be swept along the wind.

Scott77

• designs
    designs

We spend more money on the Military and Jails than on Schools and Health Care.

Time to bring some change...

• james_woods
    james_woods

Average life expectancy:
    US: 78
    Italy: 82

Percentage of adult population with diabetes:
    US: 10%
    UK: 4%

Are you actually saying that the Obama Health Care plan will increase the average American life span, and also reduce the American incidence of diabetes?

That should be considered an insane projection even by the most progressive Democrat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit