Religion is Dead..

by Quirky1 26 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on
    May take one more "generation" sorry to use that term, before we see it dead

According to the Pew Research Center, 64% of Generation Y, aka The Millennial Generation, believe in God. I don't know if this translates into "churchgoers" or not, but the majority still believe.

• scary21
    scary21

My husband went back to the church when he turned 50 ( Cathlic )

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

People have said religion is dead loads of times over the centuries - and yet it is still here!

Religion is not going anywhere anytime soon - many religions are still growing.

Many people keep spirituality at home now - they no longer feel the need to attend at a hall/church, but they are no less religious.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    There seems to be a disparity between USA and UK/Western Europe. Christianity is dying rapidly over here, thank god.

Do you even understand how that sounds to those of us the believe?

It sounds arrogant, rude, condesending and more.

Just like when a believer says something silly about atheisim.

While the "thank God" humour was not lost onme, it still smacks of intolerant egotisim.

Just saying.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    the next interesting nation is China

Catholicism is growing rapidly in China too. Real figures are probably 10x what the government stats are over there. That also goes for other Christian denominations. I became Catholic in 2009.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It sounds arrogant, rude, condesending and more.

That's the whole point, PSac.

BTS

• cofty
    cofty
    Christianity is dying rapidly over here, thank god. - me
    It sounds arrogant, rude, condesending and more. - Psac

Yes it probably does.

From my perspective the Watchtower is not the problem. It is just one particularly harmful manifestation of a bigger problem.

I spent a further 9 years after leaving the borg among a group of lovely and sincere christians. Eventually it dawned on me that my mind was still a captive of group-think. I would never in a million years imagine that a newborn baby was full of sin if the group hadn't deemed it to be true. Or that the world was divided into god's buddies and god enemies unless the group held it to be true.

Of course not all believers see the world through such a narrow lens but that is despite christianity not because of it.

I can't pretend I would not rejoice to see every last church and synagogue and mosque close its doors for good, however that doesn't mean I don't respect individuals who have a religious faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit