"The Case for Christ"

by Ding 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Strobel is hardly acting as an objective reporter. He is an activist Creationist with an eager believing audience that buy his books and then pretend to read them. The book is being deliberately misrepresented as the work of an 'atheist forced to face the facts' when in reality the writer is using all the same old tired creationist arguments that do nothing to convince someone with at least some understanding of the actual documents and issues involved.

Check out the wiki article of his name.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Just curious...have you read the book peacefulpete?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I actually did before I left the JW's, it and 'God and New Physics' by Davies were instrumental in my becoming much more skeptical of the Christian dogmatism I was preaching. I had never found the WT articles very convincing in their argumentation and I assumed it was just that they were not presenting the "facts" as well as possible. I soon found that they were actually just rewording the works of authors like Davies and Strobel. Go ahead and read the book, but as you do ask yourself what is being argued and what is being preached.

• eric356
    eric356

I've only read portions of "The Case for Christ" at the bookstore, but the contents I've seen are unsurprising. I've listened / watched much of Lee Strobel's stuff on the internet, so I've heard his arguments many times. The problem with his approach is that when he interviews "experts" he means expert *apologists* that don't represent the variety of scholarly views. He's also a William Lane Craig sycophant, which is a personal pet peeve. By all means read the book, it's a fairly clear picture of the conservative apologetic position on Christianity. If you also want to see the evidence that Strobel ignores or marginalizes, read "The Case Against the Case for Christ" by New Testament scholar Robert M. Price.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Thanks Eric...I had not heard of the book by Price. I will check it out.

• torn in two son
    torn in two son

Once you've finished "The Case for Christ", you can begin reading,

Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All

(By David Fitzgerald)

I'm sure you'd be interested. It's a provocative read.

torn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit