What Foods & Goodies Do You Want To Eat During The Holidays?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I have a friend making spinach pie with extra feta for me. YUM!!!

• clarity
    clarity

Looking forward to roasting a big fat stuffed turkey till all browned and yummy. Mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, omg.

West coast stuffing:

12 cups bread crumbs

2 lrge onions chopped

2 cps chopped celery

1 cp chopped parsley

Place in lge bowl, mix, - add 3 tble spoons sage, 2 tble spoons poultry seas. mix place in fridge overnite.

Xmas day, chop giblets(gizzard,heart,liver-neck& a bit of pork sausage) cover with water in pot, add pinch salt/pepper, 1 cp chop onion, 2 tbls poultry seasoning, simmer for an hour.

Add all this to the bread crumb mixture, stuff the bird, bake in hot oven for 1/2hr,turn heat to 350 degrees, roast till the legs are almost free. (depending on size 3-5 hrs)

After all this, for me, what I'm really after is the stuffing and the mashed spuds with turkey gravy!!!

Hard to get my mouth around this but .... merry christmas everyone,

oh yeah, .. and FloridaPerry you could open a door for me anytime, I don't startle easily.

clarity

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Y'all don't eat cornbread stuffing?

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Perry,

Just got in, wow those mall parking lots are brutal today, being christmas eve and all. Slurping my cup of hot tea...........................................................

No, never tried corn bread stuffing...sounds good! Do you have a recipe?

clarity

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Doing a 6 hour smoke of a few slabs of regular and baby back ribs and some Ham.

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Nah, some other family member usually makes it, usually my brother. I know he uses a lot of cornbread and sage.

I went over and had "Christmas Dinner" at my mom's this afternoon. Of course, she doesn't call it that and you can't do it on Christmas Day. It was really good tho! Here's a recipe that sounds similar to what my brother does.

Ingredients:

• 6 cups crumbled cornbread
    • 3 cups soft bread crumbs
    • 4 ounces butter
    • 2 cups onion, chopped
    • 2 cups finely chopped celery
    • 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
    • 2 cups chicken, diced, optional
    • 1 heaping tablespoon dried sage, crumbled
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Preparation:

Heat oven to 400ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and white bread crumbs. In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion and celery in butter until tender. Do not brown. Combine the sautéed vegetables with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the diced chicken, if using, and the seasonings and beaten eggs, blending well. Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" x 15". Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

• clarity
    clarity

Thank you, sounds like a great recipe ... I'll try it, but just sneak some of those giblets in too! lol

Have a nice weekend Perry.

c

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit