My first semester at college was a sucess!!

by noni1974 16 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

I got my grades today. I got 3 A's and 2 B's. I ended up with a 3.57 GPA and I'm able to join Phi Beta Kappa, which is the Honnors Society at my school. Not to bad for an EX JW that never graduated from high school. I'm so happy!!

• pirata
    pirata

That's awesome, congratulations!

What's your major?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Congratulations. I was raised a JW. Getting good grades was the only way of pleasing him. So I racked them up. When I was sixteen, he decreed that I was too worldly (I could not dance if I wanted to do so b/c I was so afraid; my terror of boys was absolute). He knew college was my hope. His solution was to pull me out of high school so I could bag groceries under his supervision. No way was he going to deprive me college. I was so embarassed to speak to the principal. Outsiders would ooh and aah over my accomplishments. My problem was leaving my mom and siblings to go to a foster home. His actions were always tolerated at home. He was very abusive and came close to killing me on a few occasions. He died before he succeeded in making me leave school.

College was my answer to all this hurt. We were working-class. Ivy League schools accepted me with full scholarships. The transition for me was horrible. The pain was incredible. There is no magic answer to abuse. I did well academically. Since everyone else was applying to law school, I decided to do so. I was accepted at a top school on a full merit scholarship. Law school was a sheer delight b/c I had already acclimated.

I know my family made fun of college students. My classmates were rewarded with paid vacations. Education is so important to me. It is a gift from God to be cherished. It seems as though you certainly have the hang of it. You must be bright but also disciplined. College exposed me to academic Bible Study which I have continued throughout my life. Today I will manipulate info and realize what I am doing. It is such a wonderful after all those years of mind control. Some things I learned as a Witness helped me in my transition.

Knowledge is the antidote. College encouraged me to ask questions more than receive answers. "Hard" questions were highly sought. Questions are so much important than answers. When you arrive at my age, the answers change even outside the WTBTS.

People make extraordinary sacrifices to educate their children. I never felt worthy enough as a Witness. Niceness was so new. Consider advanced education.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I'm a Business Admin major. I've been out of the Jw's for 12 yearsnow and I'm 36 years old. I'm at community college right now. I may end up going to a 4 year school sooner or later. I'll see how I feel about that in the next year or so.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Not bad at all. I'm happy for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are so many ways to branch out from a business degree. It is practical knowledge. If I were doing college again, I'd find a mix of fascinating and practical courses. My courses were sort of background courses to be a better citizen. I'm doing community college myself. I missed intro to pcs b/c of illness. The state is paying for my educ. rehab so I'm studying MS Office apps before looking for a legal job.

Law school was practical. Phi Beta - very, very impressive. I never achieved that. Good work! If you ever want help plotting career moves, private message me.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I took Intro To Microcomputer Applications which is Microsoft Office software based. It was one of the courses I got an A in. I loved it. It covered Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point. I want to be a office manager in a doctors office so those will come in handy.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Congrats Noni,you're an inspiration to me.

• sherah
    sherah

Keep it up Noni!!

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Congrats Noni!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit