Parents are coming to town (straight from a 3 day stay in bethel) Do you have any questions for them?

by cyberjesus 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Ok My parents are coming from Mexico. My Dad is a big name Elder over there, being an elder for 40 years and worked in Bethel, CO, City overseer, and Convention Overseer for more than 20 years.. You name it. And they also did the Special Pioneer thing (thats when i was born) ... Anyway My mom's cousin (who is the head of a Service Table in Bethel) invited them for a 3 day stay in the headquarters.. so they are coming to visit (since my Grandpa is very ill)...

Its been a year since I am out. Last year when I opened my eyes I panicked and pretty much blew it with them... Now they almost dont even talk me ever...

I know now that I wont make the same mistakes and I know that asking them questions is the best way to attempt to wake them up.... I am gonna take this 10 days to plant seeds.

So I dont want to miss anything.. Guys do you have any questions that you think I could use to help them think? I can come up with some but why not use the power of the forum....

I will keep you posted.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

It sounds like its not a matter of "thinking". Your family is about reputation and status. Ever see the Star Trek episode "Landrew"? That was creepy. Thinking and reasoning was rendered meaningless. Made me think about the WT.

Any "seeds" you attempt to plant, will cause them to throw up huge mental barriers against "apostate" thinking. IMO Its the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.

Many on this site will cheer you on and let them have it. I dont. The WT has successfully set up an arrangement to quash this kind of action. It's called DF'ing. You might have the satisfaction of speaking the truth from you heart. But then you will have to live the rest of your life without your JW family.

Is it worth it?

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Ask them how it is possible that you are a genuine apostate since you don't know how to use a oujia board.

Then show them the video proof.

JDW

• factfinder
    factfinder

From my experience it is like banging your head against the wall trying to reason with a witness relative. It just goes around in circles, nothing I say or ask matters. Anyone who doubts or questions the "slaaaaave" is wrong, is an apostate, is under the influence of satan. That's it!

I hope your parents are not quite that blind and will listen to something you say and not automatically reject it.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Keeping in mind that these questions might be really BAD questions...

Ask them to explain - thoroughly - the new "Generation extension" to you.

Ask them to show you how the date of 607 B.C. is the "right" date for the fall of Jerusalem - and ask them for "secular" sources, too - tell them you're just being "thorough"...

Ask them about the cost-cutting tactics that the Watchtower Society is undertaking, and ask them whether having a "Jehovah's Witness populace" comprised of poorly-educated and poorly-employed "rank & file" is wise - as opposed to having a predominantly-college-educated "Jehovah's Witness populace" instead.

While you're at it, ask them about the new, increased methods of soliciting donations from the brothers and sisters - many of whom are earning minimum wage due to their lack of higher education...

Ask them about the differences in the way the Branch Offices are run - ask them about differences between the Malawiian brothers and the Mexican brothers. Also ask them about the status of the Witnesses in Mexico - are they still claiming that the Watchtower Society is merely a "cultural" organization there, while seeking legitimate "religious" status in Russia???

Ask them why the branch offices in Spain - Ireland - and other locations have been closed, and why the main headquarters are moving upstate out of New York City. Ask them whether the new facilities will house MORE people - or LESS people... And if LESS people, WHY are there LESS people instead of MORE people, now...

DON'T ask them inflammatory questions - and depending on how you phrase them, some of the above questions could be inflammatory - or might make them think...

GOOD luck...

Zid

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

No questions, although if someone from Bethel (either USA or Mexico) read your post, wouldn't they be able to identify you?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Ask them whose hand was at the table with Jesus WHEN the NEW COVENANT was instituted.

When the hour came, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him.

Then He said to them, "I have fervently desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God."

Then He took a cup, and after giving thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves. For I tell you, from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

And He took bread, gave thanks, broke it, gave it to them, and said, "This is My body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of Me."

In the same way He also took the cup after supper and said, "This cup is the new covenant [established by] My blood; it is shed for you.

But look, the hand of the one betraying Me is at the table with Me!

Luke 22:14-21

• Curtains
    Curtains

my advice - don't anti witness at all, just offer support as your grandpa is ill. Your silence will speak louder than words.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Don't anti-witness. Just be supportive. They will try to encouage you back into the faith, but don't talk about yourself. Always turn the conversation around and ask about how they're doing. Ask about the brothers in mexico.

Your parents are of the generation that believed 1975. They were the generation that would not get old in this system. ALL of them have the question "why has this system lasted so long" and the statement "it wasn't meant to be this way" in the back of their mind.

Focus them. Talk to them about care arrangments for your grandpa. Ask them about what care arrangements they would like FOR THEMSELVES in a few years.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Show them some quotes promising people they would never grow old in this system and then ask why the WTS lied to us about that. They will retort with the one day for a thousand excuse, or the brighter light excuse, or the marathon excuse, or something else.

But the concept will STICK in their mind and it will bubble back up at some point in the future. Keep these seeds as simple as possible!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit