JW's don't love Jehovah

by Mad Dawg 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Our actions, wants, and desires are determined by what we hold most precious. We will sacrifice one thing for another depending how they rank on our personal totem pole. I have a cousin that became a JW - which brought me to this board. His reason? He wants to believe that he will see his dad again. I don't fault him there.

Thing is, when questioned "Wouldn't you rather go to Heaven?" The answer is "no". JW's would rather stay on earth with their loved ones and pet the tigers than go to Heaven to be with the god they claim to love above all else. Yes, the correct response is "But we can't go to Heaven anyways." But do you want to? I had a JW say to me once, "Why would I want to?" How can they claim to love Him if they have no desire to see Him?

• sabastious
    sabastious

To hell with heaven. I'll take nirvana.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For 99.9% of JWs, Heaven has never been OFFERED to them.

If you're on an airplane and the flight attendants are only offering roast beef sandwiches, how many are going to accept a roast beef sandwich?

However, in 2007, the 'door to Heaven' was opened by a QFR in the WT magazine. No longer does the dogma specify that the door to Heaven was closed in the 1930's. Still, I cannot imagine a pioneer telling a Bible study that the 'Heavenly hope' is an option for the new student. They preach a spiritual materialism: You can live forever and NEVER die, because Armageddon is as near as the door.

Who can describe what life in Heaven would be like? The Bible offers no details.

As humans, we can describe in detail what we enjoy about our lives. The Paradise Earth carrot plays upon the current desires of humans. Rather than the reward being incomprehensible (Heaven), it's SIMPLE.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have always thought it funny that Witnesses act like "everyone going to heaven" is unrealistic.

Heh heh...

-Sab

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

On an airline, my only option may indeed be roast beef, but I will still long for a Rueben.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    but I will still long for a Rueben.

BUT, if you ask the flight attendant for this Reuben, what will happen?

A big mama beatdown from one of the Elders.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

LWT said:

BUT, if you ask the flight attendant for this Reuben, what will happen?

A big mama beatdown from one of the Elders.

Exactly. Don't the Elders supposedly love Jehovah more than the others in the congregation? If they loved Him, why don't they long to see Him? Even if they don't think they ever could?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Those are great questions. The answers have more to do with Thought Reform than with Religion, IMHO.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Not to be contrary, I think that it is a matter of priorities. JW's are more concerned about what is in it for them than any notion of loving Jehovah.

BTW, where are the apologists?

• pirata
    pirata

Here's my apologist stance (since you were looking for one):

Last time I checked, a lot of Christians loved Jesus, but they weren't exactly commiting suicide so that they could be with him earlier.

The JW 'other sheep' believe that God's purpose for them is to be on the earth, so if they love God they'll want to be used how God sees fit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit