De Bono's thinking skills and family study

by jwfacts 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44

Mind maps look interesting. They appear to be a way of organizing a subject through the use of diagrams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That's what's great about blondie's threads....she shows how a critical look at the WT articles might look like.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

thanks heaps

i have just got the book and will read it asap

oz

• Farkel
    Farkel

De Bono is one of my heroes. The lame term "thinking outside of the box" came from De Bono making famous the concept of lateral thinking. He is in demand around the world for his abilities to solve problems in ways that most people who are known as "problem solvers" would never consider. Anyone (like myself) who enjoys the time and effort it takes to solve complex riddles or any other lateral thinking puzzles deeply appreciates De Bono's contribution to the world.

I'll give you but one example of De Bono's genius. He was retained by a smallish German City to solve a problem they had. Here are the facts:

1) Too many people were leaving their cars parked on the streets when the parking meters ran out.

2) There were not enough meter readers to drive around and issue all the parking citations that were required and the city had no money to hire more.

3) Of the parking citations issued, the car owners never bothered to pay them and the city did not have the money to enforce collection.

No one else could solve the problem given the above facts, and that was why De Bono was retained. He thought about the problem for a little while and came up with a solution. He told the city to pass an ordinance which required all cars parked where there were meters to leave the head lights on while the cars were parked. Any car which was parked with the headlights being off was to be immediately towed by a private towing company to an impound lot. The owner would have to pay a lot of money to the towing company to get the car back.

The beauty of this idea becomes evident with a little thought. The meter readers didn't have to waste time stopping and writing tickets. They just dispatched a tow truck when they drove by and spotted a car without the headlights being on. Moreover, everyone knows that if one leaves the headlights on for more than an hour or two with the engine not running, the car battery will go dead. This means people HAD to go back to their cars, and at least drive the car around for a while a half dozen times a day to keep the batter charged, or sit in the car with the engine running.

De Bono made it so inconvenient for those petty lawbreakers that the city's problem with them disappeared! And his plan didn't cost the city an extra penny to implement!

Farkel

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I heard of another interesting De Bono solution. A large office block was getting complaints about the length of time people had to wait for the lifts, but it was not possible to increase the number of lifts. De Bono's solution was to add fish tanks to the waiting area. The distraction made time pass quicker for those waiting.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I heard of another interesting De Bono solution. A large office block was getting complaints about the length of time people had to wait for the lifts, but it was not possible to increase the number of lifts. De Bono's solution was to add fish tanks to the waiting area. The distraction made time pass quicker for those waiting.

• outsmartthesystem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit